Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2013, 13:33   #16

Boat: 45' CC ketch
Re: Licence for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
I suggest you contact RYA directly if you are concerned or unsure of eligibility requirements.
Did exactly this, let's see what they say

Old 05-09-2013, 17:16   #17

Just a specific area I realize, but I thought Greece required some kind of proof of skill / license for boating in their waters on boats bigger than about 15-20'? Is that just a very local issue or is a EU thing?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:33   #18

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
Just a specific area I realize, but I thought Greece required some kind of proof of skill / license for boating in their waters on boats bigger than about 15-20'? Is that just a very local issue or is a EU thing?
A friend who sailed there this summer said that it is required, on paper, but never asked for in practice It is a local greek stuff
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58   #19
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sea Frog.

If you are a national of a UNECE, You cannot get a ICC from the RYA ( or the ISA, which is the other body charged with helping non UNECE citizens)

If you are from US or Canada, or from a non UNECE country then the RYA and/or the ISA can test you and issue an ICC. Outside of that you cannot get a ICC.

The reason for this was to prevent countries going into competition with each other and the dumbing down of the test. This stipulation was added a couple of years ago , after the Belgium authorities complained the RYA was issuing ICCs to its nationals.

The only country in Europe that actually requires certification, irrespective of your own flag rules is Croatia, which will accept a huge range of certificates. including ASA etc.

Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 04:13   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Here in South Africa, things are pretty strict. As most, if not all, anchorages or moorings are in commercial harbours you need a license to operate within a port. For skippering out and back in the same harbour, you need a day skippers license. Anything further you need a coastal skippers. You also need a radio operators license. The boat itself is another issue. Sailing to Mozambique or Madagascar you'll be asked for all that paperwork as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Licence for circumnavigation

Buying a boat in the US... no problem for any Nationality... once you get in...
Circumnavigating I would recommend you get some form of formal certification of your ability to skipper a vessel... RYA/ASA/6Pack whatever as you WILL come across occasions where the lack of this may involve your boat being prevented from leaving untill you get the qualification or hire a skipper.
Some may dispute this but believe me it has happened..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
You problem lies not in having any license, but in having a documented boat. As a foreigner you can not possess a US coast guard documented boat as owner. Nor can you title boat in a state without some sort of acceptable residence to DMV in your state of purchase or residence. So you are left with getting boat you buy documented in your country of origin that you hold a passport for and legal residence. You will run into considerable difficulty with customs and immigration of countries you plan to stop at during circumnavigation if not with valid boat documents.
As far as a personal competency license for sailing, it is presently only required in a few countries such a Croatia as example. This type of license could be had by passing a course with RYA.
This partially answers a question that's been bouncing around in my head. We just applied and received residency status here in Spain. I'm a US citizen, my wife a US & UK passport holder (UK by birth). The bureaucracy here in Spain is absolutely CRAZY! So, we're gonna spend a few years here, go through some of the RYA courses in the meantime, and then set to sailing in 1-2 years. What we won't do, due to the here in Spain, is buy and register a boat here.

Our current, and always changing plans are to buy the boat stateside and register it somewhere there, moving back to liveaboard and sail coastal and then Caribbean to gain more experience before setting off for somewhere a bit further abroad. I'm pretty sure we could work around the residency issue initially as my sister lives in Wilmington, NC, so could establish residency there with her.....be it physically or in spirit. Nothing long-term, but just prior to purchasing a boat with the plan to move aboard and out of Spain soon after purchase.

We'll see how this changes over the next few years, but the "residency" information is useful to know. Now, back to here in Spain!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I was never asked to show mine. Maybe because our boat is so small.

The papers that we were asked to produce were:

- boat registration paper,
- passports,
- insurance (some countries only).

b.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...go through some of the RYA courses in the meantime, and then set to sailing in 1-2 years. What we won't do, due to the here in Spain, is buy and register a boat here.....
Our current, and always changing plans are to buy the boat stateside and register it somewhere there, moving back to liveaboard and sail coastal and then Caribbean to gain more experience before setting off for somewhere a bit further abroad. I'm pretty sure we could work around the residency issue initially as my sister lives in Wilmington, NC, so could establish residency there with her.....be it physically or in spirit. Nothing long-term, but just prior to purchasing a boat with the plan to move aboard and out of Spain soon after purchase.
good plan dont buy or own a boat while living in Spain. The Spanish only do it by basically dodging the taxes and the whole things a mess.

dave
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27   #25

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklebuk View Post
This partially answers a question that's been bouncing around in my head. We just applied and received residency status here in Spain. I'm a US citizen, my wife a US & UK passport holder (UK by birth). The bureaucracy here in Spain is absolutely CRAZY! So, we're gonna spend a few years here, go through some of the RYA courses in the meantime, and then set to sailing in 1-2 years. What we won't do, due to the here in Spain, is buy and register a boat here.

We'll see how this changes over the next few years, but the "residency" information is useful to know. Now, back to here in Spain!
If you are a US citizen, then no problems in buying a US documented boat and using sister's address or incorportating in Delaware. Residency not required for documented boat, just need to be legal US citizen.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:33   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I was never asked to show mine. Maybe because our boat is so small.

The papers that we were asked to produce were:

- boat registration paper,
- passports,
- insurance (some countries only).

b.
Irish couple on an old Cat in Portimao 2007... they'd gone for a honeymoon sail 2 years earlier and liked it so much they kept going.. UK, France, N. Spain and down to Portimao... there they were asked for proof of competence by the HM... he had nothing (normal in the UK) so he was refused permission to leave without a qualified skipper. When we arrived and heard his story the owner of the boat I was delivering jumped on the Cat to get it out for them then we did a transfer at sea 10 miles down the coast..
That was interesting...

Born To Be Wild
Old 06-09-2013, 13:11   #27

Boat: between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

The only country in Europe that actually requires certification, irrespective of your own flag rules is Croatia, which will accept a huge range of certificates. including ASA etc.

Dave
Including a PADI dive licence :-)
Old 06-09-2013, 13:43   #28
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...down to Portimao... there they were asked for proof of competence by the HM... he had nothing (normal in the UK) so he was refused permission to leave without a qualified skipper.
That was interesting...
sounds like a Portimao con-job if you ask me.
Old 06-09-2013, 14:07   #29

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
sounds like a Portimao con-job if you ask me.
Just need one officious ******* to mess up your day... anywhere..

Born To Be Wild
Old 06-09-2013, 14:24   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A non US citizen can form a US corporation which would own the boat. Happens all the time. The boat can stay in the US forever but it may be more difficult for the foreign buyers.

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: