Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 14:25   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

That's a trek in the Cal 20, but I read some years back about one that crossed from California to Hawaii. You'll do fine.

Have fun!!
Old 04-04-2014, 14:58   #47

Boat: Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
That's a trek in the Cal 20, but I read some years back about one that crossed from California to Hawaii. You'll do fine.

Have fun!!
Not too bad driving it to Fort Lauderdale then across. Planning on living on makes another 7 feet seem like a mansion. 3 days is the longest I have stayed on it so far. No headroom, but I guess it is all relative. The microcode do it with 15 feet and two people. Mine is spacious compared to that. I want to do the Erie canal, Mackinac, and the north channel also.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:26   #48

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko

We cruised in our Bayfield 29 for 14 months in the Sea of Cortez and west coast Mexico. We love the boat. Currently taking out the diesel engine and going to electric propulsion. It will give us 20 more gallons water, double what it had. Also free up more space, but we didn't really lack for space (water only). Being just under 6 foot, I have headroom.

We have had three other couples visit and sail with us, so four total, up to one month. It was tighter, but worked fine. Wouldn't want that many for real long....

We could not have bought a more expensive boat, and could not continue to own it either. It not only allows us to sail, but is a very wonderful little floating cabin as well.

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 16:15   #49

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post

Have fun!!
Robert Crawford | OCEANSLOGIC

Black Feathers: A Pocket Racer Sails The Singlehanded TransPac: Robert Crawford, Jeanne Crawford: 9781440191961: Amazon.com: Books
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 17:06   #50

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

I have a 21 foot Court 650 on a trailer. Draws about 1 foot water with the keel up and I sail into ankle deep water. Takes 2-3 hours to get it into the water which is the biggest hassle. Take it to Carnac Island and set up my telescope for the night. It's riddled with tiger snakes and just watch my step.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 13:41   #51

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
svmarine: What kinda boat does he have
Quote:
oldragbaggers: Good for him!! I also would like to know what kind of boat.
Sorry about the delayed response!

It's a 27 foot "Metalu Flot 18". French built.
I've attached a generic picture.

Here's a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=meta...62%3B475%3B343
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal flot 18.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	79527  
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 14:11   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Out in Desolation area, BC we ran into a couple that had their 3 yo and themselves all on about a 24 foot boat. They had a horrible little dingy, an outboard on its last legs, a camping stove which they cooked in the cockpit, and were full time cruisers. Dirty clothes and kids socks everywhere. I think they even used cloth diapers. We gave them some food, worked the shrimp pots with them then moved on, but they were happy with a lot less than we moved around with. I don't think they knew about CF.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 22:04   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Out in Desolation area, BC we ran into a couple that had their 3 yo and themselves all on about a 24 foot boat. They had a horrible little dingy, an outboard on its last legs, a camping stove which they cooked in the cockpit, and were full time cruisers. Dirty clothes and kids socks everywhere. I think they even used cloth diapers. We gave them some food, worked the shrimp pots with them then moved on, but they were happy with a lot less than we moved around with. I don't think they knew about CF.
They sound more like boat bums.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 23:58   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
They sound more like boat bums.

Yeah, anyone without an AWB, a/c, watermaker, etc must be a bum. We should turn them into the anti-bum patrol and charge them with having a good life without all the gear others seem to need. They destabilize society and should be shunned.

Not.

Some years ago we met a very young couple (23 and 19 IIRC) on a Top Hat 24 in Radio Bay, Hawaii. They had sailed from Newcastle, Australia and were on their way to BC. They had nothing of the gear that folks "need" to go sailing, let alone cruising offshore. Three years later we met them again in Baja, now with a small daughter (named after my Admiral, Ann). They were on their way back to Oz, still without the necessities, but still enjoying life on their tiny yacht.

Bums.

But then a few years later we met them yet again in Sydney Harbour, where they were refitting their Open 50 "Newcastle Australia" which Alan was skippering in that year's BOC singlehand 'round the world race. He didn't win that race, Dave Adams did, but he was awarded not one but two separate Outstanding Seamanship awards for astonishing feats of derring-do in the Southern Ocean. His wife was busy raising the children, maintaining a home, and running his race campaign in her "spare" time.

Definitely a bunch of bums, these young small boat cruisers.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-04-2014, 00:08   #55

There are Cruisers and Bums. Because you have little does not mean you have to be dirty. You wash and you pick up that is what normal people do, if you don't, and live in filth your a bum.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 00:40   #56

My sentimental all time favourite cruising boat was 20' long, and my practical favourite is 23'.

I like to be able to reach over the side and touch the water.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 00:59   #57

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yeah, anyone without an AWB, a/c, watermaker, etc must be a bum. We should turn them into the anti-bum patrol and charge them with having a good life without all the gear others seem to need. They destabilize society and should be shunned.

Not. Jim

Having seen "AWB" twice lately, and being unable to ID yet another bit of electronic kit I don't have, I turned to Mr. Google. Rather than define it for other unwashed, I encourage reading Enlighten me. What's an AWB?.

Enlightenment comes a smile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zen-life.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	79694  
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 01:48   #58
cruiser

Here's a couple from yesteryear. Hein & Siggi Zenker built and sailed a 20 foot Laurent Giles "Trekka" class (the same design that John Guzwell made famous) around the world in the 60's. Boat's name was 'Thlaloca' I believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thal1.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	79697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thal2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	79698  

Name:	Thal3.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	79699  
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 01:55   #59

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
There are Cruisers and Bums. Because you have little does not mean you have to be dirty. You wash and you pick up that is what normal people do, if you don't, and live in filth your a bum....

One can tell the difference between cruisers and bums by looking at their boats. I guess a bum can love and maintain a boat but I cannot think of a single example of a bum type on a jaunty little vessel. Low budget sailors are often scruffy, even on shower day, so one must look beyond their persons. A quart of paint (even pink!) costs less than a couple of packs of cigarettes yet all bums smoke and none maintain their boats, IME.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 14:28   #60

I have a 1969 26' Colombia I have been fixing up since November 2013. I stand 6'2" so I have only one spot to stand completely erect...the companionway. I will be sailing the Baja peninsula with my girlfriend shoe-string style all summer. Next boat I have my eye on is a 34' mariner sloop to take to Indonesia.
Surftrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, cruise