Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 10:52   #16

Re: Let's hear from the small boat cruisers

Here is a great blog of a couple who cruised their Dana from PNW to New Zealand over the last few years.

http://karenandjimsexcellentadventure.blogspot.ca
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:06   #17

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

We don't get a ton of miles on every year about 900-1500nm. Me and my wife bought our Columbia 29 3 years ago. Every summer we spend at least 3 out of 4 weekends aboard and out sailing. That and we take a 12-14 day cruise every summer as well. We found our boat and saw alot of potential for a very reasonable price. Sure we could always use a few more inches in the galley, or me at 6'3" would sure love to not bang my head when going forward. However for the price and some work it has turned into a great cruiser for us. We don't get to meet alot of people our age out sailing I'm 31 my wife is 28. Most of the people we meet are older, and people we meet ask how we can afford it. For us our boat cost less than most our friend's cars. We choose to not drive new cars (at least 4 years old) and instead save that money and spend it on a boat and gear. We also bought our slip for less than most people have into their dinghies!

We get a place to spend summers on the Great Lakes, and explore all the cool ports, towns, and islands it has to offer. We do it all in comfort of our small boat that's gotten us through rookie mistakes, and bad weather. We also are the boat that's almost never in the slip. All that being said we are looking to move up soon to a 33ft, still for only 4 figures. This next boat is our opinion of our "forever/dream boat". Cheers to all you other small boaters out there and keep having fun!
Old 31-03-2014, 11:31   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Appick, I agree with you. We drive 12 year old Hyundai and 1999 truck. Would rather spend that money on boats, and on saving up for our eventual cruising boat. We'll be ditching the cars in a couple of years anyway.

I appreciate so much all the responses so far.
Old 31-03-2014, 11:44   #19

I had an Ericson 27 for many years, but at that time was also a business
owner in NYC so my sailing was mostly day or overnighters.
I sold the boat to a couple, with two small dogs,
who lived on it year round for the next few years
and cruised Long Island Sound up to Cape Cod.
We lost touch after a few years but they always said ditching the expensive
NYC apartment and most of their stuff was the best thing they ever did.
Its amazing how much stuff Madison Avenue convinces us we need
when it's mostly junk, needlessly using up the earths resources.
Everything I purchase now has to pass my "Tree Test"
Would I cut down a tree for it?
Because of a variety of circumstances I'm going to be a lake sailer
for the next few seasons (with some charters thrown in) but when
I move to Florida I will be looking for something 27 to 30.
Maybe even another Ericson 27.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 13:11   #20

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
svmarine: What kinda boat does he have
Me hove knot a clew!

Aft cockpit single-masted sailboat is about the extent of my knowledge. So many brands, designs, etc.

I'll ask him next time we meet up... Mind you, he IS the busy young lad!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 13:38   #21

Boat: B24

Assuming I get Wings back in the water sooner than later, I’m increasingly about smaller boats – not microscopic, but fairly compact… I’ve never sailed the world except in my dreams, but increasingly enjoy the reduced maintenance challenges and generally easy sailing of our little 24’ chunk.
Old 31-03-2014, 16:16   #22

Boat: True North 34

Splendid thread.
Thanks all.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 16:24   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

At 36.75 feet we are considered small by most cruiser's today, but sadly we're too big to join your party. That's OK. I just wanted to say I'm spiritually (if not physically) with you all. Small is beautiful.

Go with the smallest boat you can live (and cruise) with .
Old 31-03-2014, 17:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
Assuming I get Wings back in the water sooner than later, I’m increasingly about smaller boats – not microscopic, but fairly compact… I’ve never sailed the world except in my dreams, but increasingly enjoy the reduced maintenance challenges and generally easy sailing of our little 24’ chunk.
Our B24 Sojourner was one of our favorite boats. We found her a derelict, gutted her and rebuilt the interior, replaced the old windows with stainless opening ports, moved her chainplates outboard, replaced rotted decks. There wasn't an inch of that boat from stem to stern and keel to masthead that we didn't touch. We then lived on her for almost a year. What a sweet sailing boat. I would have taken her anywhere with no reservation and the only thing that, in my opinion, made her unsuitable for cruising was the lack of storage space. We had a shoreside storage room that was very close by and that is how we managed living aboard her. I just couldn't figure out where you would begin to put all the things you would need for cruising, even living a very minimalist lifestyle. Other than that I had no problem at all with her size. As a matter of fact, the v-berth on that boat is one of the roomiest I have ever seen.

Old 31-03-2014, 18:41   #25

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

Deb and I lived on and cruised our 1966 Coloumbia 26 from Baltimore to Georgetown exumas and back for two years. We sold her last fall and the new owner is living aboard on the west coast of Florida. We upgraded her with and engine driven watermaker, ssb, refrigeration, solar and wind power, and a four burner stove with oven. We had everything we needed except room. She was heavy in the water but we could still snuggle up close to shore with about four feet of draft. Our walker bay 8 would sit on the deck during passages, making it interesting changing our hanked on sails, but the jack lines never got tested. We are restoring a larger boat now, but if we kept the small boat we would be sailing now...The photo is from the marina at West End, Bahamas after our first gulf stream crossing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	78581  
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 19:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
Deb and I lived on and cruised our 1966 Coloumbia 26 from Baltimore to Georgetown exumas and back for two years. We sold her last fall and the new owner is living aboard on the west coast of Florida. We upgraded her with and engine driven watermaker, ssb, refrigeration, solar and wind power, and a four burner stove with oven. We had everything we needed except room. She was heavy in the water but we could still snuggle up close to shore with about four feet of draft. Our walker bay 8 would sit on the deck during passages, making it interesting changing our hanked on sails, but the jack lines never got tested. We are restoring a larger boat now, but if we kept the small boat we would be sailing now...The photo is from the marina at West End, Bahamas after our first gulf stream crossing.
Small or not, you got to cruise her to the Bahamas....and isn't that the point??!! Good luck with your bigger boat. Hope you get back out there soon.
Old 31-03-2014, 21:10   #27

You could add up the cost of almost all of the boats mentioned in this thread, and not match the cost of the electronics, watermakers, automatic buttwipers, etc, that people think they need in a boat to go cruising. I am not advocating going primitive , but go simply if you are not rich and really want to go cruising. The people that think 50K$ worth of electronics makes them safe, probably should start over again in a dinghy sailing course and relearn the basics. OOPS, I should get off of my soap box. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 21:36   #28

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

This year is my first year with a sailboat. It's a Aquarius 23'. No where near a cruiser yet, but who knows where we will take her next summer. Maybe do a little coastal with her later down the line.

I'm still getting over the shock that I own one and actually will have the time to spend on her. I hug her every time I walk to her and say hello. Now for my arm to heal and weather to break should be making progress in a few weeks prepping her for her slip that's been reserved.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 22:06   #29

The world has changed over the years for sure. When we first started cruising there were plenty of small boats mostly sailed by younger people. Cruisers were self sufficient, no GPS, no EPIRB's, few radars, no chart plotters, no water makers you get the drill, it was a different world. I would say that in general the sailors skills were at a higher level.
There is no reason in the world that people today can't cruise the same way we did back then although you may as well have a portable GPS these days. The ocean hasn't changed and even back then when a 36 footer was considered big we always figured that the folks sailing the smaller boats were having the most fun.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
You could add up the cost of almost all of the boats mentioned in this thread, and not match the cost of the electronics, watermakers, automatic buttwipers, etc, that people think they need in a boat to go cruising. I am not advocating going primitive , but go simply if you are not rich and really want to go cruising. The people that think 50K$ worth of electronics makes them safe, probably should start over again in a dinghy sailing course and relearn the basics. OOPS, I should get off of my soap box. ______Grant.
You are so right Grant. I have been following another thread about whether or not most would own a powerboat if they didn't have to worry about the cost of fuel. I am seeing people quote crazy amounts of money for a suit of sails, one person said $50,000!!! I have done a lot of sailing over the past 33 years and have yet to pay $50,000 for a whole boat, let alone a suit of sails. Not to say I wouldn't if I hit the lottery or something....but to my mind, being a normal person without a money tree, I have never felt in any way disadvantaged or disgruntled over the size or simplicity of any of the boats we have sailed. We've shared anchorages with some megayachts, and bottom line is, they were there....and so were we.

For us going cruising will be all about freedom, and freedom from debt is going to be a huge part of that equation. That means going small. And I'll take that any day as long as I get to go.

Tags
cruiser, cruise