Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45   #1

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Let's All Feel Sorry for Zopi . . .

Sitting a couple miles off Andros on the wrong color boat...No chance of going anywhere cool.

God, but it's time to retire.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
LOL...
got paint???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:09   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Got Pictures?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:46   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
I'm guessing the boat Zopi is currently on is "Haze Grey". Sounds like Zopi is counting his days to retirement from the Navy. Am I close? I used to do the Andros thing too for Autec certification. I didn't wait to retire though, one enlistment and out. I don't regret it though. I had a lot of fun back then. Good luck to you Zopi. The time will go by faster than you think.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03   #5

DING! We have a winner, Ladies and Gentlemen! I am so sick of gray..I am in fact painting all the bilges in my boat white, just do I don't have to look at it...

320 days....

Bloody job used to be fun...1st ten years I hit 30 different countries...second ten years..like 6 or seven..and not the good ones...

Wife and I are becoming more and more convinced that we need to get the kids off to college, the proceed directly to Cape Henry and go right...and keep going..I'm pretty sure I can live without mass media and fast food.

I know..bitch bitch bitch...in the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett..I need to go listen to the coconut telegraph.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sounds like zopi should paint his bilges very very bright obnoxious color just to speak his mind for a few years--will look great for courtesy inspections and will boost his spirits a whole lot. not pink. eeewww.... something really GOOD! slime green or something manly!! bright orange....something neon mebbe--just freeking BRIGHT!!!!
counting days?? good luck and may you have smooth sailing!
still need pix.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:36   #7

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Just don't go overboard with the paint..

Sending ya a bit of colour from Mexico
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 13:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
...in the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett..I need to go listen to the coconut telegraph.
His "Boat Drinks" works as well:

Boat drinks
Waitress I need two more boat drinks
Then Im headin south fore my dream shrinks

I gotta go where it's warm (I gotta go where it's warm) ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 14:31   #9

All too true..Nahh..gonna go with white in the bilges...or more likely some off white..I'm not exactly a clean freak...
Haven't seen any thing worth taking a picture of..that, and I don't have a bloody camera...

I'd be alright in Mexico too..at least south mexico...'cause, What happens in Mexico, Stays in Mexico!
Old 12-10-2010, 15:07   #10

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Sitting a couple miles off Andros on the wrong color boat...No chance of going anywhere cool.

I got nuthin' for you Zopi..... at least you're on a boat. Now it's only a question of decor...
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 15:57   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I got nuthin' for you Zopi..... at least you're on a boat. Now it's only a question of decor...
Vic
Decor? from today you can have pink curtains. on the Bridge
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:13   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Zopi, we used to do swim calls off of Andros occasionally. No hope of seeing the bottom where we were, but you could see the whole bottom of the boat from fwd to aft. We'd use the sonar dome like it was a slip and slide. The scariest part was the TM posted in the sail with an M16 in case somebody got attacked by a shark. Everybody knows submariners have no business holding rifles. The general consensus was that we would be better off taking our chances with the sharks rather than having a torpedoman pot shotting around us.

All I can tell you is that you WILL look back fondly on all of it one of these days. Time and distance makes even the crappiest of circumstances seem humorous. Good luck with it. We take a trip up to Smithfield every now and then. PM me when you get back and we can sail in company.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:58   #13

Boat: Allures 44
Just up the road from Autec is Small Hope Bay Lodge. They have a nice bar and a hot tub. Maybe you can get a ride in the ship's helo.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 06:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti' Punch View Post
Zopi, we used to do swim calls off of Andros occasionally. No hope of seeing the bottom where we were, but you could see the whole bottom of the boat from fwd to aft. We'd use the sonar dome like it was a slip and slide. The scariest part was the TM posted in the sail with an M16 in case somebody got attacked by a shark. Everybody knows submariners have no business holding rifles. The general consensus was that we would be better off taking our chances with the sharks rather than having a torpedoman pot shotting around us.

All I can tell you is that you WILL look back fondly on all of it one of these days. Time and distance makes even the crappiest of circumstances seem humorous. Good luck with it. We take a trip up to Smithfield every now and then. PM me when you get back and we can sail in company.
Swim calls are pretty rare..Montterey did one the other day, We brought it up, but were pretty much told to get bent...In 19+ years i've swam off a Navy ship twice..one intentionally...

yeah..the shark watch is not confidence inspiring...nobody teached these kids that to hit something underwater you have to aim beyond it to allow for refraction...

Our boat is actually at Leeward over in Newport News..and not really seaworthy yet..need and engine and some fresh batteries..and fewer barnacles..yecch...I'd love to meet you and do some sailing..will get in touch with you soon...
Old 13-10-2010, 11:29   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:

Ah, well.....as we used to say in our navy.....if you cant take a joke you shouldnt have joined up...... T
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote