Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2010, 12:45   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
bvimatelot - that's not exactly how I remember that saying going, but it was a favorite.

zopi - should've gone subs, we usually got a swim call on the way to or from Autec. Better food too, but then there's that whole hot racking thing. Maybe you did the right thing.

Old 14-10-2010, 07:40   #17

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti' Punch View Post
bvimatelot - that's not exactly how I remember that saying going, but it was a favorite.

zopi - should've gone subs, we usually got a swim call on the way to or from Autec. Better food too, but then there's that whole hot racking thing. Maybe you did the right thing.
**** 'em if they can't take a joke....yeah. Unfortunately alot of the humor has left the service...
Yesterday was the 235th birthday of the Navy..My Facebook status: 235 years of dominant sea power and technical innovation: I mean who else but the Navy could keep a steak frozen for sixty years, and the marks from where the jockey was hitting it are as sharp and clear as the day of the race....

Nahh..I was involved in submarine QA for a few years...I am NOT getting under the water on one of those things...they did try to recruit me though...told them my aisle in berthing was bigger than their chief's mess..no thanks.

Old 14-10-2010, 07:52   #18

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
There is a power boat in my marina named "Chief's Mess". I love it cause it is. So there you go, it's in your future.
Old 14-10-2010, 08:05   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
My step-dad is a retired Air Force colonel. His favorite comment on the Navy is - "200 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress".

Actually, if anything, I think there has been too much "progress". I worked for what was FTSCLANT, later MARMC, now something else again, in the controls branch for a few years after I got out. The big thing there was the push to reduced manning on the ships. That was leading to all the digital and computer controls on the ships. Even though I made a decent living installing and maintaining these systems, I'm not a big fan. I think they are being pushed by industry as a way to generate revenue. This is all justified by the claim that higher upfront costs will be offset by the greater savings in manpower. In reality, the ships always end up with more people than originally planned for, just out of necessity. Then the crews are stuck with these overly complicated, unreliable computerized systems that I would not want to stake my life on. I much prefer mechanical linkages between the bridge and the rudder than some glass console running software relaying commands over a network to a PLC. How anybody thinks this is a good idea on a combat ship is beyond me. The shipbuilders bonuses will all long be spent by the time some poor crew or crews have to pay the price for all of these so called advances in technology. Okay - rant over. Carry on!
Old 14-10-2010, 16:39   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
[QUOTE=zopi;540464
... I mean who else but the Navy could keep a steak frozen for sixty years, and the marks from where the jockey was hitting it are as sharp and clear as the day of the race....

[/QUOTE]

Gems are rare.... that's one!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:04   #21

Ti' You aren't telling me anything I don't know...I've probably met you at some point of you were at MARMC..
I was in QA There during the merger with Norfolk Naval...apparently that didn't go so well, as they are changing it once a gain...a lesson in "if it ain't broke.."

a 4.5 million dollar merger...I think they should name the next carrier USS Taxe$..

I've dealt with a few of those systems..smartship for one..some are ok..

What they really need to do is reduce the amount of "Grunt" work necessary..let's reduce manning, but not reduce the amount of rust to bust or fan rooms to paint..

sigh..

I can't fix it because it doesn't want to be fixed...and I am sick to death of trying.
Old 14-10-2010, 17:16   #22

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
zopi,
Didn't see it said in this thread, and it might not mean much, but Thanks for your service....some of us old farts still appreciate you guys
Old 14-10-2010, 17:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
zopi,
Didn't see it said in this thread, and it might not mean much, but Thanks for your service....some of us old farts still appreciate you guys
Amen to the above post. I am not American, but I still apprecaite those who put themselves in harm's way. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of some of the foreign policy decisions made by your various iiterations of commander in chief, but dislike of US foreign policy does not lessen my respect for those of you serving.
Old 14-10-2010, 18:25   #24

Aww..Thanks guys! It means alot more than you know to hear that...even if some of us don't always know how to take it...We go through alot of crap..some more than others..I always try to thaks the cops, emt's, firefighters, and schoolteachers..and other people who ought to be making NFL wages and aren't..
Bob, I see you are on a Tartan 41...My wife has good friend who set foot on almost every Tartan sailboat ever built...he installed the delivery packages just before the boats shipped...winch handles and breath mints and such...neat old guy..

Weyalan: I damn sure don't agree with them either...I recall mentioning something back in 2003 about history repeating itself...
Heh..some ossifer a few years ago while I was griping like that told me I couldn't talk like that...he lost that argument quick..as I quoted George Washington to him..."We who assume the Mantle of soldier, do not lay aside that of the citizen."

It used to be a truism that a bitching sailor was a happy sailor...I'm not sure that one hasn't bome dated...

Thanks again guys..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: