Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 10:39   #1

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Learning to Sail from RV Campgrounds/Marinas

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted here (but the dream is still alive!). I've since gotten married, bought a house, and tried (as hard as it is) to settle down in one place (my hometown).

Well, my wife and I recently decided that the "house in the suburbs" life wasn't working out for us, and we need a change. We tried, we really did, but for lifelong vagabonds, it's been a life-draining proposition.

So, we've decided to try the full-time RV lifestyle for a while to see how that goes. The house is currently on the market and we're getting educated on all things RV while also looking at used camper trailers (24ish foot). Eventually, we'd like to move from the RV life into the cruising life, or even better, do both full-time all around the world.

So, I have a couple questions for you all that I'm hoping you may be able to help with...

- My wife is an amazing hairstylist (was based in Chicago for over 10 years with 20+ years experience) and would like to continue her craft while in full-time travel mode. This is a rather foreboding challenge for her since traditionally speaking, building a returning clientele in a specific area is the way to gain more clients and improve that income stability. Do you think it would be a viable option to obtain clients while camped out in RV parks and/or marinas around the country?

- Which leads to the next question... Since we'd both like to learn how to sail and spend plenty of time on the water gaining sailing experience, do you know of any US-based RV campgrounds that might be situated near a marina that would offer us a way to take lessons, live and work at the campground/marina, and gain this experience we would need to move into the cruising lifestyle?

Any advice or insight into any of this would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

Brandon
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:54   #2
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Learning to Sail from RV Campgrounds/Marinas

May I point you to the other RV forums that are siblings of the cruiser forum for your answer

RV-TravelTrailer | Social Knowledge
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:03   #3

There's a nice RV spot on the water near Anacortes, Washington. 6 months max stay though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 12:02   #4

Regarding your second question, I can't answer it, BUT: You could vastly expand your opportunities if you trailed a small sailboat. You'd be learning to sail on a small boat (the way preferred by many) and be living a mobile lifestyle in a self-contained vehicle.

There are many, many campgrounds that have boat ramps and/or docks; I know of three that are within 5 miles of the marina where I keep my boat and at least two more within ten miles. Heck, you can park your RV for $5/night and rent a sailboat at my marina.

Check State Park and US National Park websites; lots of RV/sailing opportunities to be found.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 12:45   #5

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58

Thanks for the info SaltyMonkey, I've checked-in there as well.

Thanks Cheechako, are you talking about the Deception Pass State Park? Oh man, I love that area very much.. checked it out on my bike a few years back. That bike tour convinced me that I need to learn to sail and have the ability to cruise at some point in this lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Heck, you can park your RV for $5/night and rent a sailboat at my marina.
That's what I'm talking about jwing! Since we're going with a camper trailer I don't know that pulling a sailboat on the back of that will fly with the authorities but, I love that idea of camping at a marina, working at a marina (to cover rent perhaps?), soaking up the knowledge and gaining firsthand experience. Where's this marina you speak of? Is this typical for marinas down south, like the Carolinas, Florida, Texas?

We'll generally probably spend warm weather months in the midwest (Michigan, Ohio, Illinois) and travel south for the cold ones.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 14:18   #6

Browns Creek Sailing Marina on Lake Guntersville Alabama

A good place to stop while passing through, but too cold to spend a winter, IMO. Most locals don't sail in the winter. Best weather is April thru June and football season.

If I was as footloose as you, I would travel the coasts of Florida. If what you are looking for exists, it could surely be found in Florida.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 14:54   #7

Boat: Olson 40

We really enjoyed our six month, 34 state camping/rv adventure last year. Its similar to cruising in many ways, especially the type of people who are out there doing it.

I second the suggestion that you take a little sailboat along with you. Personally, I would suggest something very small, like a Laser or one of the 8' Walker Bay sailing dinghies. Or something even lighter, such as a Bic, that you can easily put on the roof and carry to the water. Trailers are a pain. Simple, very cheap, fun, that is no big deal if you capsize.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 14:57   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I looked at truck campers (Arctic Fox, Lance, Nothernlite) and RVs (Coachhouse).

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, marinas, sail