Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 13:27   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Learning something new every day.

I learned something new today.
I’ve been using Interlux Perfection two pot paint for six years and when mixing only small measures of the 2:1 mixture the curing agent always runs into the tin lid chine, where it sets so hard it’s sometimes difficult to re-open the lid next time.
I just discovered you don’t need to even open the tin at all—ever.
If you remove the round silver foil in the tin lid it reveals an orange lid with two handles. Pull this upwards and it brings a spout out of the inside. Unscrew the orange lid and remove the spout seal, then you can easily pour as much of the curing agent as you need. Then just replace the screwed lid, ready for next time.
Amazingly, I could find nothing about this on the tin, or in any instructions—nothing!
You sure live and learn.
Old 03-07-2018, 15:04   #2

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Learning something new every day.

How unique, a supplier that actually thinks about the end user! I love it!

I do have a question though, when you pulled the lid off before you never saw the spout underneath the lid and wondered "What the heck is that?"
Old 03-07-2018, 15:44   #3

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Well my lid was well and truly glued up, you can see it in the photo, so I have little option. But Interlux must have known about the problem, and they've solved it with this central vent. I just wonder why they haven’t told users about it, with instructions on the tin itself?
Come to think of it, it would be a great way to pour any paint, two part or not, and would stop it going off, if you don’t happen to hammer the lid down hard enough.
It's like the new Ketchup bottles, which prevent all those gooey stuck up screw tops.
Old 03-07-2018, 16:13   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

I just buy a bunch of coffee scoops from US Plastics, then you dont need to pour, just have one scoop for Part A and one for Part B. Pop the can lid, and take however many dips you need.

They are less than $0.20 each, so buy a bunch. Makes the mixing easy and keeps the can rims clean
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:49   #5

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
I just buy a bunch of coffee scoops from US Plastics, then you dont need to pour, just have one scoop for Part A and one for Part B. Pop the can lid, and take however many dips you need.

They are less than $0.20 each, so buy a bunch. Makes the mixing easy and keeps the can rims clean
you,ll have all the environmentalists after you mate unless you clean and reuse.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 14:06   #6

Here's a re-usable paint can spout that works well on all standard can sizes and will keep the "gutter" clean. I was in my 60's before I first discovered these! Very useful and inexpensive!

https://www.amazon.com/Stretcher-Spo...can+pour+spout

Best,

Art Watson
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 15:06   #7

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
... when mixing only small measures of the 2:1 mixture the curing agent always runs into the tin lid chine, .
"CHINE" … An interesting word! I haven't heard that term for a great many years. Olde English I believe, meaning 'small ravine' … as a boy we used to visit 'Blackgang Chine' on the south coast of the Isle of Wight, where they had numerous artifacts for viewing related to the business of 'smuggling' … hence the name "Smugglers Cove" where all this illegal activity is said to have occurred.
Apparently my family had a hand in this dastardly business:-
My relative, the female leader, a certain "Grannie Rashley, (known as) Queen of the Smugglers" … Not something to be greatly proud of because, their MO was to light brazier nav-fires in such a way as to lure coastal sailing vessels to founder on the rocky shoreline where they would then be plundered for the cargo in their holds.
I'm in possession of an ancient family letter referring to such lifestyle of my forebears. So, Avast there me hearties, hand over the spoils or Oi'll be settin' ye on the rocks where we'll get the loot anyway.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning