Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 22:14   #1

Boat: Switch 51
Layup procedures for my boat stored in the water over the hot Georgia summer

I will be storing my cat from June through October in a very reputable marina in coastal Georgia and was interested in what folks in that situation do to prepare their boat for a summer of heat and humidity. I will not be in the area to check on the boat so I need to do the best job I can of prepping so she'll be in good shape in the fall. I have sail drives and was planning on having the boat dived monthly which I hope should be enough. I was thinking about taping over the intakes on the sail drives to prevent critter growth. For the interior I have shades on the interior and plan on fabricating new outside window shades but not sure about taking care of the insides to ward off growth or mildew if that's a problem. I have two solar vents on the bow hatches and that's about it for air movement. The previous owners set an open container of bleach in each sink and said it was great for eliminating any growth in the boat. I just purchased her and their methods seemed to work in North Carolina but not sure how different Georgia will be. I plan to flush the engines with FW and the water maker is pickled. Also I will remove all sails and stow below. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 00:43   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Layup procedures for my boat stored in the water over the hot Georgia summer

you could run a small dehumidifier draining directly into a sink. it won't do much if the temps are over 95 but should work at night ok.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:02   #3

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Layup procedures for my boat stored in the water over the hot Georgia summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
you could run a small dehumidifier draining directly into a sink. it won't do much if the temps are over 95 but should work at night ok.
I agree. And forget the container of bleach. All that would do is make the boat smell like bleach.

Have the diver dive the boat as often is necessary and have the marina staff check the boat on a regular basis.

Tags
georgia, layup, water