Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2012, 07:16   #46

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45
Re: Latts and Atts: Something happened

Just logged into seafaring.com and got into the forum... It is up as of a few min ago or longer...
Also found Bob Bitchin on Facebook, it is there too....
Enjoy,
Hope it all gets worked out, really enjoyed the mag and articles. Even found the mag in the px in Bagram Afghanistan one time....
Alan
Old 21-06-2012, 11:37   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you will be surprised who eric knows! had a few sessions with him in the galley bar,antigua myself
I've seen his house... does that count?
Old 21-06-2012, 11:51   #48

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Bob was fun to ride with!! and he was fun at an anchorage! never got into the mag much but again he's a fun person! easy rider was never the same after he left, I guess the mag turned out the same, it was not the same after he left maybe ?? don't know about where or if he's still sailin but Connie and I hope to see him and Jody again in the future, maybe at an anchorage in the Carib for a Little Rum punch and BBQ fish,Hang in Bob see ya later we hope !!!
Old 21-06-2012, 12:56   #49

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Hope you got Cash!
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 13:01   #50

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

Damn I'll really miss them if they're gone for good. Cruising World, etc practically worthless-might as well be RV magazines.
Here's to ya, Bob and Jody!
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 13:31   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Enjoyed the mag for many years. Lots of fun to read. Hope he comes out with another soon.
Old 21-06-2012, 13:34   #52
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

If within 5 months of selling Lats & Atts the business has gone bankrupt, it strikes me that Bob got out of Dodge just in the nick of time (to use their type of vernacular). Regardless, and with apologies to the Pet Shop Boys, for those in the print industry you could hardly say that 'the future's so bright you gotta where shades'! Good for him for finding and addressing a niche market with virtually no capital; and good for him for knowing when it was time to move on.

For those critical of Rebel Heart's comment, I must say that while I enjoyed some of their 'underway' photos, columnists and articles on older boats, I too found the amount of ink devoted to a drunken, party til you puke 'lifestyle' to be a bit tiresome. Still, the magazine took an irreverant approach that obviously struck a chord with a lot of people. While I never subscribed, I frequently flipped through it at the newstands and occasionally even bought an issue. I guess what I am saying is that while not a devotee, I will miss it. While the quality of writing sometimes left a bit to be desired, it was never bland.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 16:41   #53

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

The economics of media has been changing for many years and newspapers and magazines are under tremendous pressure. The current business model is a mix of print media, internet, tv and radio, and sale of products or services. Bob had dialed that mix in over the years, but it's a niche market and difficult to maintain in an economy that has not been kind. And his message was in part, "rebel pirate", not "exclusive Italian design megayacht". If he can still have Lost Soul and still organize the "Share the Sail" parties, then he'd have some of the best parts of it. Remember there were sailors looking forward to the next event and employees who will lose out. It's hard to believe it will all just end, just like that.
Capn Andy
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 16:44   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We subscribed for a year. We ARE the partying types.

The quality of the magazine was sub par, I can't stand a certain writer's stories, and the editing sucked. Versus CW, which like all sailing magazines is struggling, a far superior magazine at 1/3 the price of L & A.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 16:49   #55
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We subscribed for a year. We ARE the partying types.

The quality of the magazine was sub par, I can't stand a certain writer's stories, and the editing sucked. Versus CW, which like all sailing magazines is struggling, a far superior magazine at 1/3 the price of L & A.

Come on, which writer? I want to see if we agree on that...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 17:23   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
T. If he can still have Lost Soul
Capn Andy
I looked up Lost Soul on the USCG name query page.. it is not in Bob's name but someone named Denoli who lives in AZ..
So..... unless Bob comes up with the Dinero I guess the Lost soul is out of the picture..

I liked the mag for what it is... it is not 2/3 more in price that CW.. sorry that dog don't hunt...

Some of you forget that Jody had some significant medical problems last yr that cost a lot of money to fix. When we are talking money that has to be tossed into the mix.

I remember a column Bob wrote a long time back.. He wrote that he and Jody were aboard the LS in the Med when they decided to do the Mag thing.. they maxed out their credit cards to provision and make it back home to California. They started the mag from scratch... they can do it again..but prolly in a much different format. He can keep the stuf that worked and jettison what didn't. It won't be easy and it won't be fun some of the time.. Really what did he sell? the rights to the name Lattitudes and Attitudes.. that is pretty much it.. and the right to publish a mag under that name. He can do the tv shows as BBs seafaring show.. the chatboard name is already changed as is the FB page.. when you think about it. It frees he and jody up for doing what they want.

For those of you who have nothing good to say.. I bet you are the same way in an anchorage too... nothing makes you happy.. Some of us just want to enjoy life and see the good in it.. If we occasionally let loose and have a good time.. don't let us stop your frowns.. we won't get in the way while we conga line around an Eric Stone concert.. no really , we won't.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 17:24   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Come on, which writer? I want to see if we agree on that...
"Female"...
Old 21-06-2012, 17:28   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it is not 2/3 more in price that CW.. sorry that dog don't hunt...
I pay about $16-17 a year for CW. L & A was, as I recall, $45 to 48 per year. The first year was cheap, and the renewal, not. CW will match any introductory price, and does, every year for us.
Old 21-06-2012, 17:43   #59

I got a renewal bill a couple of months ago for 34.95 a year. We used to renew at the boat show">Miami Boat Show for about that for two years. We didn't renew this year but we still get a free subscription to Cruising World for going to the show included in the price of the ticket.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 17:52   #60
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
I looked up Lost Soul on the USCG name query page.. it is not in Bob's name but someone named Denoli who lives in AZ..
So..... unless Bob comes up with the Dinero I guess the Lost soul is out of the picture..

I liked the mag for what it is... it is not 2/3 more in price that CW.. sorry that dog don't hunt...

Some of you forget that Jody had some significant medical problems last yr that cost a lot of money to fix. When we are talking money that has to be tossed into the mix.

I remember a column Bob wrote a long time back.. He wrote that he and Jody were aboard the LS in the Med when they decided to do the Mag thing.. they maxed out their credit cards to provision and make it back home to California. They started the mag from scratch... they can do it again..but prolly in a much different format. He can keep the stuf that worked and jettison what didn't. It won't be easy and it won't be fun some of the time.. Really what did he sell? the rights to the name Lattitudes and Attitudes.. that is pretty much it.. and the right to publish a mag under that name. He can do the tv shows as BBs seafaring show.. the chatboard name is already changed as is the FB page.. when you think about it. It frees he and jody up for doing what they want.

For those of you who have nothing good to say.. I bet you are the same way in an anchorage too... nothing makes you happy.. Some of us just want to enjoy life and see the good in it.. If we occasionally let loose and have a good time.. don't let us stop your frowns.. we won't get in the way while we conga line around an Eric Stone concert.. no really , we won't.

Won't his non competition clause prevent him from starting a new mag that might potentially compete with whoever he sold to? I hope not...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote