Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 13:30   #76

Re: Latts and Atts: Something happened

The lat38 post and quotes are boilerplate legal mumbojumbo usually preceded by "we have no comment, BUT..." Check out the seafaring dot com forum for "The Demise of Lats & Atts ... The Events Wench's Perspective" thread. Offers quite a look into the last days...

Good luck to Bob & Jody!
Old 22-06-2012, 13:53   #77
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Hmmm, interesting. Still anecdotal and with no evidence, but i wamt to believe in the little guy.

It shall unfold.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:16   #78

Boat: Skookum 53'

Great story, thanks for the link.
Old 22-06-2012, 14:41   #79

What a mess! Glad I am not involved, in any way.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:44   #80

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
The lat38 post and quotes are boilerplate legal mumbojumbo usually preceded by "we have no comment, BUT..." Check out the seafaring dot com forum for "The Demise of Lats & Atts ... The Events Wench's Perspective" thread. Offers quite a look into the last days...

Good luck to Bob & Jody!
Ya...but that's Bobs site. How bias is that? I'm sure in the weeks to come more shall be revealed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 15:03   #81

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Per Latitude 38 magazine:

We asked both Mr. Bitchin and Mr. Doran for comment on the current situation. We haven't heard back from Mr. Bitchin. But this morning Mr. Doran sent out the following email to a number of people in the industry:

"As you may or may not know, Latitudes & Attitudes has ceased operations until further notice. Mr. Lipkin (Bitchin) has violated the terms of our purchase agreement from almost the beginning, and continues to act with impunity in violation of the agreement. Mr. Lipkin's blatant disregard for the integrity of our agreement has regrettably forced us to take this action. I cannot comment further due to the impending legal action being contemplated against Mr. Lipkin, but you can be assured that there is a decidedly different version of events, which are supported by facts, other than what is being propagated by Mr. Lipkin."

In an additional note to Latitude, Mr. Doran wrote: "As you may already be able to surmise, there is a lot to this situation that has yet to be revealed. We are currently exploring all of our legal options against Mr. Lipkin for his breach of contract and libel. Unfortunately, the rumor mill is in full force, and there is precious little that can be done at this time to quell it."
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 20:01   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

i think he meant eric clapton!

be gentle on the younger generation they never had to fight a war,so probably can't understand the angst the constant threat of nuclear obliteration,caused the lat n att generation
I'm not that young and I've fought in a war. I served on a submarine firing cruise missiles into Iraq and did drug interdiction work off South America.

I'm not actively walking around angry at people for doing whatever they want to do that doesn't affect me, but I'd rather go for a run than drink cocktails. In truth I'd rather do both, but the whole culture surrounding "lats and atts" has nothing to do with sailing and everything to do with a lifestyle I see little appeal to.

I'm sure a lot of people on here don't subscribe to Runners World or Muscle and Fitness because you're not into those things. I don't take it as a personal insult that you don't like my magazines.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 23:21   #83

Boat: Pearson 281

I'm with Bob and Jodie on this one.
In my opinion the new owner has some explaining to do. Pretty convenient to refrain from any sort of defense/account because the rumor mill is in full force. I also believe that, as usual, in my opinion Lat 38 comes up short on balance in their reporting. If they are going to publish the new owner's statement (which sheds no light on what happened and is all disparaging inuendo w/o fact or any account of events) why not publish Ms. Benson's account? How biased is that? But then again I forget (here comes a bit of ax grinding!) that latitude 38 is too "classy" to show "babes in bikinis" it shows artsy pics of "fit and flexible" nudes Low brow / high brow both different approaches to entertinment that have been around as long as we have been telling stories, playing musicc, whatever. These are just magazines and Bob and Jodie are just as legitimate and posative a part of the life as anybody. As has Lat 38 or Cruising or others they have added to the fun.
My money is not on the new owner.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 01:29   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

no worries,we still appreciate your input!

some people are pro,....others anti establishment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm not that young and I've fought in a war. I served on a submarine firing cruise missiles into Iraq and did drug interdiction work off South America.

I'm not actively walking around angry at people for doing whatever they want to do that doesn't affect me, but I'd rather go for a run than drink cocktails. In truth I'd rather do both, but the whole culture surrounding "lats and atts" has nothing to do with sailing and everything to do with a lifestyle I see little appeal to.

I'm sure a lot of people on here don't subscribe to Runners World or Muscle and Fitness because you're not into those things. I don't take it as a personal insult that you don't like my magazines.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 01:34   #85
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
The quality of the magazine was sub par, I can't stand a certain writer's stories, and the editing sucked.
Editing? Although I only thumbed through two or three issues, I never detected evidence of any sort of editing.
Old 23-06-2012, 06:17   #86

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I'll miss it - We enjoyed the magazine and the cool pix from cruisers around the globe. Too bad we renewed at the boat show this year -not getting that $ back!
LindaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 09:25   #87

Boat: Skookum 53'

I really enjoyed the magazine, but like Easy Riders, after a time it became more and more main stream and I lost interest. I did still purchase it on the news stand when ever I got the chance. I liked the irreverent attitude.
Old 23-06-2012, 09:35   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

irreverent attitude is good..... will they be throwing money?? if so-- some of us could use a bailout also--otherwise, is a lot of unnecessary drama in lives of souls not desiring same.
i hope he mayhem is corrected or fixed or changed sans so much drama trauma. to everyone.

for being allegedly anti establishment, there is a lot of establishment dependency involved......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 10:29   #89

So sad to hear about the magazine, we had the pleasure to meet Bob and Jody in Seattle at the boat show, very nice down to earth people! I hope they can rise from the ashes and get their magazine back! I will certainly miss it
Aboutaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 11:33   #90

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Latts and Atts: Something Happened

FWIW, from Bob's FB page ....

Quote:
Quote:
Well, enough of this negative crap. I am tired of it. In the past two days I have heard from more friends than Jody & I ever knew we had. It's time to get back our "Starboard" Attitude. Attitude may be the difference between an ordeal and an adventure, but as Jody often says, sometimes it's just an ordeal. This is no longer an ordeal. It is an adventure (my other saying is, "The adventure begins when something goes wrong!")

The whole gang is back together and we are working on a new and improved "something". Jody & I have a month or so of legal crap to get thru, but we are all working together to create something better than we had before.

It's gonna be hard, because we all loved what we did. But we all still love the lifestyle, and the ideas have been pouring in from all over the industry and from our fans.

Ya know what? It only took 15 years to build what we had, and we started with nothing, and we still have most of that left! How kewl is that?

Hang in... as Arnold said so well, "I'll be back!"

Bob & Jody
Berry Creek, CA