Old 21-06-2012, 18:53   #61
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Latts and Atts: Something happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
"Female"...

Lol! Even the name of that column annoyed me...

Old 21-06-2012, 20:36   #62

Boat: 35' Piver Lodestar

I have mixed feelings about it. I have known Bob for a long time. Never rode with him, but he was at a couple of our events. When I was younger, I read all the biker rags, and Biker Lifestyle was one of my favorites. Gritty and old school. When he started Tattoo Magazine, I thought it had potential, but was not passionate enough about ink to really get into it.
I lost track of him when he sold Biker Lifestyle
We transitioned from bikes to boats around the same time, and for similar reasons.
When I discovered he had been cruising and had started up Latts & Atts I followed it for awhile. Most of it was a little high budget for me so I read it pretty infrequently after the first year or two.
Bob and Jody are great people who have figured out how to make the party profitable. In fact, I think Bob is a business genius. I have no doubt he sold Latts & Atts for a very nice profit, and, whatever his plans are, I am sure that he will not let this slow him down.
A new magazine? I wouldn't even guess. All I can say is whatever he is doing it is what he wants to be doing.

Old 21-06-2012, 22:59   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
"Female"...
Heh, now I will have to read a few issues to investigate this....
Old 21-06-2012, 23:08   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

It did give me something to kill time with while standing in line at West Marine. Bob could start a new magazine, but with the money he made on the sale, he probably wants to go cruising. I would too.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 23:44   #65

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
If within 5 months of selling Lats & Atts the business has gone bankrupt, it strikes me that Bob got out of Dodge just in the nick of time (to use their type of vernacular). Regardless, and with apologies to the Pet Shop Boys, for those in the print industry you could hardly say that 'the future's so bright you gotta where shades'! Good for him for finding and addressing a niche market with virtually no capital; and good for him for knowing when it was time to move on.

For those critical of Rebel Heart's comment, I must say that while I enjoyed some of their 'underway' photos, columnists and articles on older boats, I too found the amount of ink devoted to a drunken, party til you puke 'lifestyle' to be a bit tiresome. Still, the magazine took an irreverant approach that obviously struck a chord with a lot of people. While I never subscribed, I frequently flipped through it at the newstands and occasionally even bought an issue. I guess what I am saying is that while not a devotee, I will miss it. While the quality of writing sometimes left a bit to be desired, it was never bland.

Brad
Hi Brad...pretty much characterizes my thoughts also. He used the same approach to EZ rider rag. It changed the lifestyle of Harley Motorcycle enthusiast to drunken party bikers. I know not everybody changed their lifestyle with L&A but I saw a few who supported it. Bottom line...to each his own. Like you, I flipped through one at a book store now and again.
I'll give them this...They had a good photo department. The opinions expressed in the rag, I'd would just shake my head at and put the mag back on the stand.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 09:09   #66

Boat: 35' Piver Lodestar

Just to be clear, Bob did NOT work for Easyrider. He had his own rag called Biker Lifestyle. His magazine was purchased by Easyrider in 1986 after Paisano Publications took over Easyrider.
And sorry to tell you, bikers were partyers way before Bob Bitchin or Randy Ball or any of the other magazine guys told them to be. Whether those rags changed anything within the lifestyle I can't really say. They were already around when I got into it, but they definitely provided a perspective that had not been seen before.
Latts & Atts did the same thing.
Anyway, fact check done, I hope whatever Bob and Jody do next they have fun, and I am outta here.
Old 22-06-2012, 09:34   #67

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
didn't the mag also buy the lost soul back for bob and jody? what happens to her?
Apparently the new owners of Seafaring leased Lost Soul and the current boat owner is or already has taken it back.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 10:01   #68

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

This thread represents Bob Bitchin... You either like him or you hate him or his style...

Bob Bitchin took an old boat and sailed the South Pacific and the Med and made it back... He was relatively inexperienced and far from what many "Yacht People" would consider a civilized sailor. On the other hand there are very few of us left wearing Blue Blazers and White pants to the Yacht Club any longer...

In my opinion, Bob and Jody paid their dues, just like the other so called experts out there writing articles and spilling forth with their opinions.

I have met Bob a few times and got to know some of his staff as we cruised through King Harbor the first year we started cruising.

They were all nice people and helped us out receiving mail and packages. We even went to an employee BBQ, were we first met Jody. She was great and made sure we knew everyone... and for the record it was not a drunken party, but some friends hanging out.

Bob has many faces and in my opinion is a great businessman, entrepreneur and showman. Behind that he is a genuinely nice guy!

Bob has already asked people to go to his new Facebook page and I would guess we have not heard the last of him.

In any case I wish him and Jody good luck in whatever they do...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 12:41   #69

Check-out this article in todays Latitude 38 "Lectronic Latitudes".

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Always a back story...
Old 22-06-2012, 12:49   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post

Always a back story...
+1

look whos bitchin now!
Old 22-06-2012, 13:01   #71

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+1
look whos bitchin now!

Let the Mud Slinging begin!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 13:04   #72

Boat: Leopard 40 40 ft

I was sorry to hear about the failing of a magazine that brought hope, dreams, adventure and entertainment to a great many people. Upon reading some of the responses, I was disappointed to read from some the rather negative and crass response that they expressed. I choose to not relish anyone's failure, not even the owners of the magazine.
Old 22-06-2012, 13:09   #73

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 13:13   #74
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post

Always a back story...
Ohhh, a soap opera begins....

My money is on the new owners as they are the ones most legally exposed and therfore the ones who likely had to operate most closely to the purchase agreement...

...but my heart is with Bitchin' and i hope he sticks it "to the man".

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 13:28   #75

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... but Bob, along with Latts & Atts mag & their annually-held cruising seminars are the reason we're cruising NOW ... not in 5 years as planned! I've been reading boating mags for 40 years, but it was Latts & Atts that "did it" for us, along with attending their cruising seminar in '09. It was fantastic all around, with excellent speakers with real experiences - several circumnavagators & many full-time cruisers. Even got to have lunch with Bob & I'll tell you, he's one heck of a guy with stories to match.

One week after the seminar, we had a contract on our new boat, house on the market, the whole deal. Pushing up our plans has been challenging financially, but we wouldn't change (much) at all!

Thanks Bob! Hope & know you'll come thru somehow!

Russ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: