Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25   #1

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Late Season Sailing in Northern Europe

Need to take a 59 ft late model mono hull sailboat from Iceland (Reykjavik) to Med in early October. I am seeking for local knowledge and game plan to do this safely. The pilot chart and Jimmy C book offer little help, I wanted to hear what experiences other has. Thanks.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Late Season Sailing in Northern Europe

IMHO a tricky business. Talking from the perspective of a wx man and a wx router.

Ask boatman he is a delivery skipper and sailed the N Atlantic at various times of the year.

Personally, I would not do it, unless the boat is top shelf designed for harsh weather and the crew to match.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
IMHO a tricky business. Talking from the perspective of a wx man and a wx router.

Ask boatman he is a delivery skipper and sailed the N Atlantic at various times of the year.

Personally, I would not do it, unless the boat is top shelf designed for harsh weather and the crew to match.

b.
Yes, I hope Boatman as well as other high latitude sailors will chime in later. The boat is well founded with all the greatest and latest safety equipment and gear on boat. She carries all storm sails and is manned by the experienced sailors (but not in norther European water), hence the genuine and constructive advice is being sought.

Thank you !!!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:39   #4

Keep us updated on how you play this out. I am interested as none of my clients ever attempted this.

Cheers,
b.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To ROCKDAWG:

Friendly, curious, sincere questions here:

Are you doing this as a professional delivery as the delivery captain? Or in some other role on the boat?

Do you have a website? I did not see much in your CF profile.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ROCKDAWG,
Also, if you do make the voyage, please come back here and post some photos, videos, or report on the conditions and the experience. I am sure many would find that interesting. I know I would.

Fair winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 13:33   #7

... to play it safe I would wait for a window to go from Reykjavik to the Faroer Islands (ca. 450nm - max. 3 days?) or if you find a 'long window' to NE Scotland (650nm) directly. Than hug along the East coast of Great Britain, English Channel with the expected westerly winds ...

My 2ct, interested to see what others will propose and yes: Keep us updated (or better - take a Yellow Brick with you and give us the tracking link ;-))

Good luck!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 14:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Late Season Sailing in Northern Europe

Hi RockDAWG..
There's 2 ways you can go really.. as Carsten says.. Faroe's then the North Sea or.. as I would be prone to doing.. a straight run down to Londonderry, then Belfast, Dublin and Cork.. From there you can jump across the Irish Sea to Lands End and round to Falmouth which then gives you a straight run down to Ushant and across the Biscay.. if possible (weather permitting) skip La Coruna and fly past Finisterre to Baiona 55nm further South.. saves time and what can prove a slog.
The first leg is the longest at 760nms to 'Derry' but 5 days should see you there easily.. if there's any lulls that have you going less than the engine will push you.. start the engine as that's no place or time of year to get all 'Purist'..
After that you'll be sailing with the wind coming of the land till Cork.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 15:22   #9
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi RockDAWG..
...a straight run down to Londonderry, then Belfast, Dublin and Cork.. From there you can jump across the Irish Sea to Lands End and round to Falmouth
The Irish sea method is exactly what I was going to suggest, You better though be damned careful though as it's a shallow sea and the xross and rounding near Lands End is a tricky mess if you get trapped. Really confused. Timing is critical.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:09   #10

Hi,

I am from Belgium, and I am moderately familiar with this area. First, you need to remember that the Atlantic depression track passes right between Iceland and the UK. You have a depression passing there every 2-3 days. The stretch from Iceland to Ireland is likely to be the hardest part of the trip.

October is already quite late to sail in this area. It is unlikely that you will get a perfect weather window. The risk is to wait too long in Iceland to have a good weather window. The longer you wait, the harder it will become to find a good weather window. Do not hesitate to leave early even if the weather forecasts are not perfect.

Second, you need to keep in mind that the dominant winds around Ireland, the UK and the Channel are from the South-West. Therefore, any route that includes too much easting means that you are likely to sail against the dominant winds later on. At this time of the year, that can become very tiring. Therefore, I would try to pass to the west of Ireland. There is not good reason to pass east of Ireland, even less so East of England. I am not familiar with the west coast of Ireland. I suspect it is not an easy place in bad weather. I would prepare carefully for a stop there. Possibly, I would stop only in Cork, on the South-West coast of Ireland.

Regards
Numawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Late Season Sailing in Northern Europe

Numaman.. if you look at W Ireland you will see there are only 2 places to safely run for shelter if the **** hits the fan..
Limerick and Galway... the E coast however offers some shelter and a great deal more hidey holes..
I'd do the W coast in the summer.. but winter time no way.. no desire whatsoever to check out the Spanish Armada.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:29   #12

I wrote that 'I would TRY to pass to the west of Ireland'. Of course, that option would depend on the weather forecasts when approaching Ireland.
Numawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:23   #13

Gentlemen, thanks for all your input, I appreciated it very much. This is not a delivery gig but rather helping a friend to finish his NW passage expedition. The boat just left Gjoa Haven, NU on route to Greenland. I was supposed to get on board in Cambridge Bay, but work got in the way. Now I just wanted to fulfill my promise to help to sail the boat to Spain (Med side). I can get on board either in Greenland or Iceland.

Boatman61, SaltyMonkey, Numawan. Sailing thru Irish Sea is our plan all along for safe harbour and places to visit. We want to see Ireland. Our plan after leaving Iceland, we will sail south as much as possible and will make Easting if needed.

As now I am not sure if we should stop in Port Eleen (Scotland) or stay on Ireland side and get in Londonerry as our first stop after Iceland.

If anyone has any local knowledge of safe harbors and ports, please post. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2016, 15:03   #14

We have been to Port Ellen (note different spelling). It does not offer complete protection. Will be fine with some winds but possibly not quite so in a SW to S blow.

Additional risk factor is Laphroaig nearby.

b.
Old 03-09-2016, 23:43   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
If anyone has any local knowledge of safe harbors and ports, please post. Thanks.
Masses of info in here...

Free charts, tide tables and pilotage : from Visit My Harbour

Fair winds
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, Iceland, Reykjavik, sail, sailing, weather