Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 10:16   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Late Fall Cruising

I have always been a fan of taking a cruise in November. The admiral gave me an opening for a trip down to Seattle for a dinner out with friends so I jumped on it. I re-arranged all of Idora's onboard gear for cold weather and we headed out to give it a try. The weather forecast was tracking okay so we elected to anchor out the first night in Kingston. There were slips available in the marina but all have pilings or the power box in a position that would interfere with Idora's bow sprit. All others were too short. It got down to 38F that night and the wind got up to 25kts during frontal passage. In the morning I enjoyed watching the nylon shock line on the anchor rode stretching a good 3 to 4 inches as the waves passed by.

Not much sleep that night due to anchor watch but morning coffee was a treat. We lumped our way across to Shilshole and ended up with a great slip on the new guest dock. Did the dishes and this one had a nap. Dinner out was at an excellent Greek place and all were pleased.

The trip home was a accompanied by a nice ebb and lovely low clouds and mist. Lots of sport salmon fishing going on so the radar was a great help.
Stiff and sore (in front of the fire) as I write this but what a welcome change from being house bound as winter closes in.

I saw quite a few other sailing vessels doing the same as us. Anyone else get out?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:53   #2

We're headed out for a week or two leaving this weekend. Of course there's a low pressure system rolling in the second we leave the dock but there you go.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:33   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post

I saw quite a few other sailing vessels doing the same as us. Anyone else get out?
We've had three consecutive days of spectacular sailing here in SF Bay. The offshore flow has been flukey, but it's been shirt-sleeve sailing all three days so no complaints.

Tough to have to go back to work on a Monday when it's warm enough at 0800 to be wearing shorts.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Last coupla weeks have been pretty blowy on the Atlantic coast of Portugal... even Nazare which is an alledged all weather port had serious storm damage from 7+metre seas.... but I'm now on the hard so no worries for me...lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:58   #5

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Kingston

Hi Todd,

Kingston is pretty casual and will allow some pretty large boats in the smaller guest slips. With the sprit, just back in and tie off well. A friend of mine has a boat at 40' overall and they let him back in and hang out 10'. Apple Tree Cove can get pretty lumpy at times for sure, but there is plenty of room so many who anchor there use a stern anchor as well to keep the bow into the rollers coming from the comercial traffic.

Peace,
Old 15-11-2010, 12:15   #6

Boat: Fortune 30
You have warm weather gear on your boat? Lucky! Especially since I just purchased my boat, I've been doing a lot of cruising this month for day or overnight trips. Usually with a rifle so I can comb the beaches for deer. It's a great hunting cabin on the water.

Pyrate
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 13:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I'm going out on Friday for three days. Yipee! Forecast is for a deep low to come in out of the Atlantic, but bringing nothing more than F7 or F8, which we can handle.

And it's quite warm for the time of year!

November cruising is great since Gore Tex was invented. And I have new Musto Gore Tex sea boots!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 15:19   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
I gotta get back in shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm going out on Friday for three days. Yipee! Forecast is for a deep low to come in out of the Atlantic, but bringing nothing more than F7 or F8, which we can handle.

And it's quite warm for the time of year!

November cruising is great since Gore Tex was invented. And I have new Musto Gore Tex sea boots!
I was thinking of your post last week about the shock line parting while you anchored (where you didn't want to be). I re-made mine before I left. Glad I did.(Thanks to you)

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:32   #9

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Here in New York's Long Island Sound try to sneak in a night or two away. Lots of protected spots to anchor, and not many boats out. Heater keeps the boat toasty with nights only going down to 35-40 this time of year. Problem this time of year is crew getting hard to come by...but the dog is still game until
the food runs out.
hard to come by
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 12:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I was thinking of your post last week about the shock line parting while you anchored (where you didn't want to be). I re-made mine before I left. Glad I did.(Thanks to you)

Todd
LOL! I have just ordered two pieces of nylon octoplait for super snubbers. One 18mm and 10 meters long for more challenging conditions; one 16mm and 6 meters for benign conditions.

I might even tie on both snubbers, after that experience.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote