Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 13:20   #211

Re: Last pictures of Primadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
socaldmax, Your eloquence is breathtaking, there's nothing more to say. I raise a toast in your honor sir.
Thanks! I try my best.
Old 15-04-2014, 13:23   #212

I have been raised and follow the same moral values. I believe most of us born from depression generation parents do so as well. I say the cheap seats because it's easy to espouse one thing but when the situation arises often times do another thing. I would equate this to the religious right, who like to go to church on Sundays and judge others in the name of the religion. While they are happy to cheat on their taxes cheat in business and cheat on their spouses. so my point is it's easy judge others when you are not in a position to be judged.yourself
Old 15-04-2014, 13:45   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have been raised and follow the same moral values. I believe most of us born from depression generation parents who so as well. I say the cheap seats because it's easy to espouse one thing but when the situation arises often times people do another thing. I would equate this to the religious right, who like to go to church on Sundays and judge others in the name of the religion. Yet they are happy to cheat on their taxes cheat in business and cheat on their spouses. so my point is it's easy judge others when you are not in a position to be judged.

I see what you're saying. Yes, there are a lot of people like that, who claim to be moral and when no one is looking, they'll steal. I'm not like that, and AFAIK, nobody I associate with is like that. I immediately cut someone off if I find out they've broken one of the ten commandments. I'm not into organized religion, but I think they're an excellent set of rules.

Recently a broker with Royal Bank of Canada discovered that the stock market is rigged. He was wondering why his large stock orders never got filled completely and never at the price he agreed to. It turns out that all of the trades get routed through a few clearing houses that are all connected via fiber optic cable. When he would put a trade through, they held it up for microseconds, their computers placed a trade buying up the stock at the original price and reselling to him and all of the other investment banks at a profit of only one or two cents per share, but multiply that by the billions of trades per month and trillions of shares, and you see they were making hundreds of millions per month, simply by skimming a couple of cents off of every trade. They spent hundreds of millions to install this fiber optic network to gain this "advantage."

The SEC said there was no law yet to address this sort of situation, so they couldn't do anything. The bankers banded together and opened a new stock exchange, and the skimmers are routed through hundreds of mile of fiber to delay their trades long enough for the original trades to go through first.

The point is, even though this tactic is not currently illegal, it boggles my mind that anyone could possibly think that this is ethical behavior. Yet Wall St. is rife with such thinking, as if they were sick the day they discussed ethics in business school. They're all patting themselves on the back for their cleverness, never realizing or caring that they're bigger thieves than the punk who held up the 7-11 for a measly $40.
Old 15-04-2014, 14:07   #214

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Last pictures of Primadonna

Quote:
I have been raised and follow the same moral values. I believe most of us born from depression generation parents do so as well. I say the cheap seats because it's easy to espouse one thing but when the situation arises often times do another thing. I would equate this to the religious right, who like to go to church on Sundays and judge others in the name of the religion. While they are happy to cheat on their taxes cheat in business and cheat on their spouses. so my point is it's easy judge others when you are not in a position to be judged.yourself

I think we all knew what you meant. I'm a child of a child of depression era parents and that's how I was raised also.

Merriam-Webster.com

in·teg·ri·ty noun \in-ˈte-grə-tē\

: the quality of being honest and fair

: the state of being complete or whole

Full Definition of INTEGRITY

1: firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility
2: an unimpaired condition : soundness
3: the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness

The key words here are "Firm adherence".

That includes both words and actions.

Your example is valid, The infamous Jim and Tammy Baker come to mind. I'll give you another, Al Gore flying to a global warming conference in a Gulfstream jet.
Old 15-04-2014, 14:47   #215

Boat: Various

Quote:
Wifey B: All you say is true but we have to be careful. The rest of this isn't addressed to you directly but just in general. Some want to believe everybody cheats on their taxes. Some want to believe every business person cheats and some want to believe anyone given a chance would cheat on their spouse. When we start letting those thoughts pervade then suddenly we start making dishonesty seem the norm. And if it's then the norm we feel it is fine for us to do it.

There are a lot of good people around. If anyone here isn't seeing them in their lives, then they really need to reconsider who they associate with. We know the "religious" who are filled with hatred, but we also know some very religious people who are filled only with love and kindness.

Sometimes we get like the kids trying to convince their parents, "But dad, everybody does it." No, everybody doesn't freaking do it. I feel so blessed that I'm surrounded by the best friends possible, good people, moral people with integrity, people I know I can trust. We've found and built our own family, not out of birthright or blood, but out of kinship of heart and soul.

It saddens me to see some so bitter and angry. At the world? At people they know? At their own condition? Trust me, I know. I grew up in a bad situation. My hubby and I are passionately involved with an orphanage. We see the kids as they arise, the ones who have experienced the worst the planet has to offer. But we also see them grow, mature, find trust again and happiness. We see those devoting their lives to these kids. We see the good.

I believe in the human race. I believe in the innate goodness of mankind. I know people who are good. I know people who are honest, and not just selectively so. I know people who are moral.

We seek friends who lift us up and make us better by their own goodness. We hope to do the same in return. We love them. We care deeply for those in our lives. We aren't blind to those in pain and suffering. We see it. We feel it in the voices of some here. All we ask is not to brand others. Not to demean or disbelieve morality and integrity. To find hope rather than think all is hopeless.

And don't justify the actions of a few by saying everyone would do it. Everyone wouldn't. In fact most wouldn't.
Old 15-04-2014, 15:10   #216

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38

We never expected such a controversy to arise from our naive actions! The boat is a wreck, abandoned on the reefs, some 18 nautical miles away from the nearest civilization, in an anchorage populated by flamingos. No note was found on the boat. There was no anchor in the water, we found a small anchor on board and we didn't take it. It is a derelict rusty vessel beyond salvaging, the cost of trying to salvage the vessel would be much more than the vessel itself. There are huge rusty gaps on the deck of the boat and on the hull, I think i took pictures of those.

We got a bit of junk of it, as we thought it is OK. We have seen many wrecks on our way but they were all already stripped off anything useful, I wonder by whom and in what circumstances?

We thought we are lucky to be among the first ones, even though there were others before us, most probably the fishermen, already taken lots of things. The boat was a mess. We got a bunch of junk, an old windsurf board without a sail, some snorkeling gear covered in mud, used ropes and winches, some of which we had to throw away as they were broken. What we enjoyed was the experience; it is like finding something useful in the garbage and recycling it.

We had no idea of the previous issues with the crew in Oriental at the time, nor of Pat Stockwell's troubles. We are willing to help them, send them the stuff back, etc, whatever they think appropriate.

Now, I frankly regret taking anything from Primadonna, didn't expect such a big deal to arise from this. Of course we didn't think we are doing something wrong, otherwise we wouldn't brag about it in a blog, would we.

We still don't think we did something wrong, it is just unlucky that there is so much other things happening around that boat.

I have to go now, I couldn't read through all your comments, they are so many, as we were busy salvaging a couple of recent wrecks (just joking, even though not in the mood)

What is done is done, please advise what to do next.
Old 15-04-2014, 16:33   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Why, if your an American, do you not like the term 'yank'?
I'm not having a go at you in anyway, and I apologize if you have read some of my early posts and they offended u. It has not dawned on me that some persons in the US don't like the term. In my ignorance I thought it was a term of endearment, introduced to Australia, or rather made common by Don Lane. A bit like calling Australians, an Aussie.
I think some of my fellow Southerners are a bit sensitive.

I don't think an American would ever call another American a yank. Yank is a word not commonly used, if used at all. Now, all me a YANKEE, now that would catch my attention. The Late Unpleasantness might have ended almost 150 years ago but my dear departed Granny only used the word damn when placed in front of the word Yankee. Usually, she would not say the word itself, she was too proper, so she would just say D Yankee. Sherman marched from Atlanta to Savannah and my grandmother's family land was in the line of march. The memory of what Sherman did lingered several generations after the Yankees stole and burned my family's possessions. It took some areas of the South a couple of generations to recover and this was not forgotten.

The only time I have seen/heard the work Yank was by non Americans. I don't find the word offensive at all.

To be fair, I think Southerner's label too many people Yankees. The only real Yankees are the people living in the states that are in the New England region of the US. Someone from Ohio, while a Yankee to a Southerner, is not really a Yankee. How is that for confusing?

You can call me a Yank and I won't be offended.

Later,
Dan
Old 15-04-2014, 16:50   #218

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
A "Yank" is an American of the North East persuasion.

Some of us Southerners do not take too kindly to being called this.

Monkey, what kinda nuts are you smokin' down there? As a Red Sox fan, I can't think of a worse insult than "Yankee" or one of its variations. Why, I like Mark Twain, but as a native Nutmegger, I've never forgiven him that Connecticut Yankee in whatever story. Refused to read it! Hah! I'm a New Englandah, never, never a yank!

:-) ;-)
Old 15-04-2014, 16:52   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post
We never expected such a controversy to arise from our naive actions! The boat is a wreck, abandoned on the reefs, some 18 nautical miles away from the nearest civilization, in an anchorage populated by flamingos. No note was found on the boat. There was no anchor in the water, we found a small anchor on board and we didn't take it. It is a derelict rusty vessel beyond salvaging, the cost of trying to salvage the vessel would be much more than the vessel itself. There are huge rusty gaps on the deck of the boat and on the hull, I think i took pictures of those.

We got a bit of junk of it, as we thought it is OK. We have seen many wrecks on our way but they were all already stripped off anything useful, I wonder by whom and in what circumstances?

We thought we are lucky to be among the first ones, even though there were others before us, most probably the fishermen, already taken lots of things. The boat was a mess. We got a bunch of junk, an old windsurf board without a sail, some snorkeling gear covered in mud, used ropes and winches, some of which we had to throw away as they were broken. What we enjoyed was the experience; it is like finding something useful in the garbage and recycling it.

We had no idea of the previous issues with the crew in Oriental at the time, nor of Pat Stockwell's troubles. We are willing to help them, send them the stuff back, etc, whatever they think appropriate.

Now, I frankly regret taking anything from Primadonna, didn't expect such a big deal to arise from this. Of course we didn't think we are doing something wrong, otherwise we wouldn't brag about it in a blog, would we.

We still don't think we did something wrong, it is just unlucky that there is so much other things happening around that boat.

I have to go now, I couldn't read through all your comments, they are so many, as we were busy salvaging a couple of recent wrecks (just joking, even though not in the mood)

A boat is like someone's house, only it moves. You live on your boat, they lived on theirs. They happen to be locked up at the moment, but that does not mean their boat is abandoned. It just means they're away from it now. A friend of mine took a 6 month vacation. Does that mean his house was abandoned and people could just walk in and take what they want? Of course not.

Everything you said about the condition of the boat, not knowing, etc is all justification for your actions. Nowhere on land or at sea is there any legal term called "finder's keeper's." Anything you appropriate from someone else without buying it, even if it's just lying on the sidewalk, is called theft. If you find a bag of money just laying on the sidewalk, regardless of how much you want it or need it, it belongs to someone else. In the US, you turn it over to the police and if no one claims it in 30 days, they give it to you.

The right thing to do is go back there and return everything that was removed, reinstall everything that was taken apart. I doubt you'll want to do that. Since the items you took appear to have a value of over $3,000 (the newer winch, as well as other items) perhaps you should send a check for $3000 to clear the debt that Pascal owed to Pat. That would be the decent thing to do.
Old 15-04-2014, 16:56   #220
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
...As a Red Sox fan, I can't think of a worse insult than "Yankee" or one of its variations.
Red Sox fans are immune to the generalization
Old 15-04-2014, 17:03   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

You guys take it too much to heart. I am from the UK, living in aus, so I am called a Pom, usually "10 bob pom" by the Aussies. Now Australia is split into states like America. Here are the names that these folks are known by here. These are names that you can hear everyday in conversation, see in the news both in print and on TV.

Queenslanders- Cane Toads, banana benders.

New South Wales- Cockroaches.

Victorians- Mexicans (from down south)

South Australians-Crow Eaters.

West Australians- Sandgropers.

If anybody takes offence at these in person they just get laughed at.

Coops.
Old 15-04-2014, 17:07   #222

We're southerners but in no way bothered by anyone from another country calling us a Yank. Rebel might bother us more but that wouldn't either. Gringo doesn't bother us. Labels used with no ill will just don't. Labels used meaning them to be derogatory do. To us it's not the word as much as the intent. Now funny when I travel to NY they think from my accent I'm from the deep south, must be from Texas or something. When I travel to Mississippi or Alabama, they think I'm a Yankee from my accent, from NY or elsewhere. I'm from NC but even there so many dialects. There's mountain and hillbilly to the west. There's outer banks to the east. There's country in the rural areas. There's city in the larger cities. I'm from the Charlotte area so to anyone from New York I have a heavy southern accent but compared to my cousins from rural areas of the state, I have no accent at all.

I think people from some parts of the world lack perspective on how big countries like the US, Canada and Australia are. To us in the US Australia is one country, but I found out when traveling to Sydney, Melbourne is to them like NY is to Miami.
Old 15-04-2014, 17:12   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You guys take it too much to heart. I am from the UK, living in aus, so I am called a Pom, usually "10 bob pom" by the Aussies. Now Australia is split into states like America. Here are the names that these folks are known by here. These are names that you can hear everyday in conversation, see in the news both in print and on TV.

Queenslanders- Cane Toads, banana benders.

New South Wales- Cockroaches.

Victorians- Mexicans (from down south)

South Australians-Crow Eaters.

West Australians- Sandgropers.

If anybody takes offence at these in person they just get laughed at.

Coops.
When I traveled to Australia years ago I wasn't that knowledgeable about the relationship between Australia and the UK. I was surprised in Sydney how well they accepted those of us from the US and followed us and our music among other things, but then I heard them using the word Poms and Pommies toward those from the UK and often not in the most complimentary way. Meanwhile, Australians from each area do freely call themselves the names you mentioned and many more. Probably more than anywhere I've been they love to use descriptive terms, even those some might take negatively if they didn't know, in referring to themselves. Part of what I saw as the sense of humor of most Australians.
Old 15-04-2014, 17:26   #224

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik View Post

First off, I give you credit for coming here and exposing yourself to this forum. Even if you haven't read all of the comments, I think you get the idea of the consensus of most of the posters.

What you did was wrong, quit trying to justify it. The above post by socaldmax says it all.
Old 15-04-2014, 17:31   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any one know why Paschal and his wife are locked up?
Closed Thread