Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 04:55   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Last pictures of Primadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
While part of me just wants to sit back and go, "heh, karma's a bitch ain't it dude," legally what they did was wrong. From a human interest perspective, I have no sympathy for Pascal as I feel he got what he had coming to him. You reap what you sow and all that. But that still doesn't make what the "salvagers" (and I use that term loosely) did right. Even if they legally could salvage the vessel, by them salvaging it, they would become legally responsible for the wreck and any subsequent damage it caused. Not an enviable position to be in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I hope one day god forbid, you don't find yourself with nothing and trying to survive. Some of my ancestors were transported to Oz for stealing bread, perhaps you might like to consider why people steal bread.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-04-2014, 05:23   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

It looks to me, from reading this, that the couple were taken away from,their boat and then it was ransacked. If they are not in prison or hospital, then they should have got back to it as soon as they could.

But, I also wonder how many of you maintaining what the couple in the story did was theft, would actually take things yourself, if you come across something like this in the stage it was in, open, trashed, items missing and clearly in a state.
Old 13-04-2014, 05:31   #18
cruiser

That boat has been there for several months, and I'm surprised it was sp intact as it's general location was posted here months ago. And I bet the Bahamians with the ability to strip it simply don't know it's there.
In the US, wrecking is long done. Taking one bolt would make you responsible got the hull. It's just not that way in the Bahamas, I've poked around several wrecks with a handful of tools, bee's are always the biggest factors to my salvage efforts. That boat will be there next year when I return, probably without much left on it. I'm kinda bummed I didn't bother to find it as I was there, and had seen the reports of it grounding. I believe the owners were arrested after the grounding.
I don't think they owe pat Stockwell of oriental anything, they got a couple used winches and some other junk of a sinking, rusting hull. This is not a huge windfall that can be split up amongst many parties. Their biggest mistake was blogging about it and it showing up here. All this righteous talk from the moral majority here is ridiculous. Your making to much of it. I bet the nomadic crew knows enough about CF to realize that the stuffy-well off-conservative-old guys-know it all-super moral club would denounce this as a terrible crime.
Old 13-04-2014, 05:37   #19

Last pictures of Primadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I hope one day god forbid, you don't find yourself with nothing and trying to survive. Some of my ancestors were transported to Oz for stealing bread, perhaps you might like to consider why people steal bread.

Dave

Since cornwall was mentioned earlier in the thread, I feel I must write summit!
Wrecking is not salvage, it is when a vessel was miss led in its navigation by falsifying lights on shore fooling the navigator by pretending to be the lights of a village or lighthouse else where on the Cornish Coast.

The Isles of Scilly ( don't call them the silly isles ! ) are part of the duchy of cornwall, the main income was kelp harvesting for fertiliser, famine was not unknown and salvage often made the difference between survival or starvation, wrecking was a hangable offence , salvage along often with the saving of life of the crew was a different story and often was supported by the local powers of authority, this is no longer the case and anything washed up on a Cornish shore line is the property of the duchy ( prince Charles ) and not the crown

As with the comments on the op, I agree not something I would have blogged.
Old 13-04-2014, 05:41   #20
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
It looks to me, from reading this, that the couple were taken away from,their boat and then it was ransacked. If they are not in prison or hospital, then they should have got back to it as soon as they could.

But, I also wonder how many of you maintaining what the couple in the story did was theft, would actually take things yourself, if you come across something like this in the stage it was in, open, trashed, items missing and clearly in a state.

I'm a sailor, I have come upon wrecks, I would never steal from it. ( in fact I believe it's really bad superstitiously ) But as is commonly experienced around any marina, sailors steal from sailors all the time

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 05:44   #21

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:

Dave

Dave, I respect you, but that has got to be one if the most arrogant things someone has ever said. There is a difference between stealing bread 100+ years ago to survive and defrauding someone, who was trying to help you, out of thousands of dollars. Using your logic, all manner of thievery is permissible as long as you can justify it by saying, "I was just trying to survive." I have been penniless trying to survive before and had nights where I went to bed hungry because I hadn't eaten. I was entirely dependent on help from others, yet I still never committed a crime in the name of "surviving." Go back and reread what I wrote. While I personally feel Pascal is a despicable human being who should be maid to pay for what he did, what these "salvagers" did was not right. Morally, he got what he deserved. That doesn't mean I would pitch in stripping his boat. In fact, I'd try to stop them from doing it as what they did was piracy.

Old 13-04-2014, 05:52   #22
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Dave, I respect you, but that has got to be one if the most arrogant things someone has ever said. There is a difference between stealing bread 100+ years ago to survive and defrauding someone, who was trying to help you, out of thousands of dollars. Using your logic, all manner of thievery is permissible as long as you can justify it by saying, "I was just trying to survive." I have been penniless trying to survive before and had nights where I went to bed hungry because I hadn't eaten. I was entirely dependent on help from others, yet I still never committed a crime in the name of "surviving." Go back and reread what I wrote. While I personally feel Pascal is a despicable human being who should be maid to pay for what he did, what these "salvagers" did was not right. Morally, he got what he deserved. That doesn't mean I would pitch in stripping his boat. In fact, I'd try to stop them from doing it as what they did was piracy.

Fine, I accept the analogy might be a little stretched

Firstly the story of that yacht and it's owners is a sad tale, obviously crewed by people that were on the last legs financially.

Neither am I condoning a crime, what I an saying is that nothing deserves vengeance and saying " he got what he deserved " smacks of righteousness.

But we all agree with your last sentence

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 06:05   #23

Quote:
in fact, I'd try to stop them from doing it as what they did was piracy.

'piracy'! Funny how that term is so easily used now days, as if it's extinct so we can change the meaning from the heinous that it was. But, real pirates do still exist, so perhaps we should be more careful in using the word.

Some moron of a judge accused those great warriors of the sea, Sea Shepard with being pirates. That's how silly it becomes.
Old 13-04-2014, 06:14   #24

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Generally the Bahamians will take all the good stuff first. They pretty much reckon it their birthright and have an easy way to obtain local title to any boats they salvage.
This type of comment always make me want to say to you to stay to hell home then. This opinion is no more accurate than Bernie Madoff is your uncle.
Old 13-04-2014, 06:16   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
'piracy'! Funny how that term is so easily used now days, as if it's extinct so we can change the meaning from the heinous that it was. But, real pirates do still exist, so perhaps we should be more careful in using the word.

Some moron of a judge accused those great warriors of the sea, Sea Shepard with being pirates. That's how silly it becomes.
I agree 100%.
Old 13-04-2014, 06:18   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Piracy is any act of robbery or criminal violence at sea,

And remember one man warrior is another mans pirate.

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 06:23   #27

Quote:
Piracy is any act of robbery or criminal violence at sea,

And remember one man warrior is another mans pirate.

Dave

That's part of my point. There has been no 'robbery' and no 'violence', and technically (and we are talking law, which I guess is technical), the vessel wasn't 'at sea' , no piracy.

I want a pirate smilie! Why arnt there any pirate smilies, given it's a boaty forum.
Old 13-04-2014, 06:24   #28
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
All this righteous talk from the moral majority here is ridiculous.
Sure it is if you you have no morals...

Seems like a personal problem and your loss.
If some low-life scum wants to steal stuff from a boat that has dragged up on a reef, I don't give a sh!t, but you have to look yourself in the mirror.
Old 13-04-2014, 06:27   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
That's part of my point. There has been no 'robbery' and no 'violence', and technically (and we are talking law, which I guess is technical), the vessel wasn't 'at sea' , no piracy.

I want a pirate smilie! Why arnt there any pirate smilies, given it's a boaty forum.

Theresa no " robbery" , what he helped himself to his own stuff that happened to be already on the stricken vessel. Right

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 06:34   #30

Quote:
Theresa no " robbery" , what he helped himself to his own stuff that happened to be already on the stricken vessel. Right

Dave

"Take his own stuff", lol, you crack me up, seriously, lol

'Robbery', to be a robber, you have to rob 'someone', as in a person, no person, no robbery.

Stealing, it may be, thief maybe, robbery, no it ain't.

Close as I can find to a pirate
Closed Thread