Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2010, 19:36   #1

Land Locked

Being stuck in the middle of Canada, I am wondering where the best place to buy and moore a boat would be for my situation.
I am not sailing now ,but want to be able to cruise the Caribbean in retirement in about 12 years, thinking about something in the 35/36ft range.
My wife likes the idea of the Caribbean, but would fly there, she is not one that would be willing to take on a long voyage so I would sail it down by myself.

I was thinking of the west coast, plenty of boats for sale, great places to take lessons, but not sure how easy it is to obtain a slip to keep the boat. What the upkeep, slip fee's, ect for a boat would be, and I would get to be on the boat about twice a year untill I retire.

The one benifeit I see to the west coast is I could keep the boat in the water year round, but when It came time for the big cruise south I would have further to travel.
The other option is the great lakes around the Toronto area, I am sure I could get quaility lessons there to, and a decent boat.
Again the cost of slip and boat upkeep when not around, and I am assuming that the boat would have to come out of the water in the winter months.
Any information would greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Ross H is offline   Reply With Quote