Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 17:00   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, Free Spirit # 497
Lake Okeechobee, FL

Greetings one and all,

I hope I'm posting this on the right section.

I'm planing on sailing from Brooklyn NY to League City TX in early spring and was thinking of going trough Okeechobee Lake. Are there any bridges between Palm City and Fort Myers I should be concerned about? or is it mast friendly all the way trough?

Thanks in advance,

Alfredo.
Free Spirit
Alberg 30 # 497
A30Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 17:58   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Welcome to the forum!
I am certain that someone on the forum will be able to answer your question. Good luck,
Spencer
Old 07-02-2010, 18:11   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Alfredo, you will need to clear bridges from 52 to 55 feet with one lift bridge that has a maximum clearance of 49 feet. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 18:22   #4

Thanks guys,

I only need 47 feet clearance. As soon as I posted the new thread a few similar options came up as suggestions. I've read through them and learned a lot. 'had no idea there are locks to deal with! That should be fun!

This trip will take place in mid May latest. it's been a few years since I last sailed but, I've been told it's like riding a bicycle, you never forget!

Looking forward to using this site more often. As a I re-enter the sailing community.

Cheers,

Alfredo.
Free Spirit
Alberg 30 # 497
Old 07-02-2010, 18:30   #5

There is a lock in great bridge Va. in you go on the inside No big deal really
promax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 18:36   #6

I'm still in the planing stages of the trip but, i think i would prefer an outside route as I don't want to deal with traffic and the vessel handles better in open water. i do however enjoy the benefits of an side route. So, most likely there will be a mix.

thanks,
Old 07-02-2010, 19:21   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
A30sailor -
If you plan on going through Okeechobee contact the Army Corps of Engineers ahead of time. Sometimes the route is closed due to lock maintenance, low water, etc.
Old 07-02-2010, 19:37   #8

Hi Mike,

I got this link from a previous post: http://tinyurl.com/yk7y6cq

Looks like all is ok as of now, I'll keep checking as the day for the crossing gets closer.
Thanks,
Old 07-02-2010, 19:48   #9

Boat: Bristol 29
You can check on the status of the locks and bridges by calling 863-983-8101 or 904-232-2022.

Good luck,
Old 07-02-2010, 20:00   #10

thanks FloridaWriter,

I will be giving them a call.

PS
Great Job on that Bristol!!! Nice Site!
Old 07-02-2010, 23:44   #11

Boat: 74 Tartan 34
I ran from annapolis , left dec 1 2001. There is one lock that is a very small up/down in va.
it is really an all motor affair. there are plenty of good marks and get the waterway guide and the flip chart. You need to plan a bit about where to stop at night. so dark does not hit you in the middle of a tight 10 mile cut thru rock. the tides or more extreme down south-8 feet.
If you have time take time to visit the places you can. Bridges are easy enough. call on the vhf . some operate on a schedule , others as needed. I hit some fog ang it was real bad so we waited a few hours. I draw 4 feet and I bumped once. You may find some areas that have temporary markers as the icw is maintained to remove shoals.
It really is a great ride. More boats make it a bit tricky. the ocheechobe has a hight limit already mentioned. I had to wait a week for a bridge repair on the oche waterway.
There is a great anchorege in stuart fl just after you turn onto the chobe branch. There was maybe 100 moorings and dingy dock with clean bathrooms for $6 a day or you could just anchor for no charge-but then you dont get the bathroom code .
The big lake is surprising Giant doorways protect the entrance. Markers are far apart but easily seen. waterdepth was 10 ft but this can change.
I had no concern about height as I carry 44 feet
plan mostly on hand steering, plenty of single handers
I remember an ocean run between 2 bridges of about 5 miles. it just worked out nicely.
the guides warn of local knowledge needed for some inlets. The ocean is mighty and beautiful but inlets can be hell. i was amazed by all the interconnecting rivers down south. the ditch follows one then jogs to another. other times there is a manmade cut to get connected. I saw one boat leaned over high and dry. the family was busy scraping and painting, either they were ready in case or they planned the grounding to do the bottom.
If I was in need of a bottom paint I might have done the same thing.
I tried to push hard to get south since it was deember and my crew need to be home for christmas. we anchored 2 or 3 nights off to the side in shallow water where I knew we would be hard agrround in 2 feet overnight but in the am we were floating free. I sounded to make sure of soft bottom. A big )80 ft) motor yacht came thru at 0200 with a huge search lite. the owners wanted the next port by the morning so he ran at night-but he was very experienced and friendly
goodluck it is easier then many people will tell you.
remember to go north again even if it is 10 years. I moved to sw florida and hate it my opinion anyway. it is not like up north but that is another story.
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by A30Sailor View Post
thanks FloridaWriter,

I will be giving them a call.

PS
Great Job on that Bristol!!! Nice Site!
Thanks Alfredo!

The outside route is very doable and a lot faster than going down the ICW the whole way. Here is a very detailed blog on a similar trip. Ben Erickson brought his BCC down to the Miami area. Scroll back thru the blog to get the details of the trip. Bristol Channel Cutter Elizabeth

Cheers,
Old 08-02-2010, 13:53   #13

Thanks for sharing, LostSoul, I'm inclining on doing it through the outside. I will likely be with just another person aboard. if my family was with me I would be more into sight seeing. But time is of the essence and i don't like motoring or steering too much.

FW, thanks for pointing out the BCC blog, what a gorgeous boat! And he sailed trough what was my local waters!!! I will enjoy reading trough it. As well as yours, as I'm looking to be a better boat-keeper once i bring Free Spirit south.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2010, 14:49   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Make sure you stop in and See T & K Asenmacher on the Yeocomico River (at the mouth of yhr Potomac). They run the Alberg 37 Owners association website .They have lots of space and welcome all Albergs to their docks
Old 08-02-2010, 17:32   #15

Alfredo,

That will be a great trip for you. Fair winds and feel free to stop in at the bristol 29 forum (Bristol29Forum Categories) anytime.

Cheers,