Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 04:12   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Posts: 515
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I know you like your Amel, I like them to. But to say few cats are upto RTW is just silly and provocative, every year cats sail around the world quite fine. I've got one next to me that is nearly home after a 15 year trip, 37 ft.
Hello Dale,

There was no intent to inflame in my comment.

I will expand my POV. I've sailed on a friend's Katana 50 and I had repeated brown trouser moments in a short steep sea in the Med. The slapping under the belly shook everything including the rigging. However, at anchor, she is palatial. But this is not what I wish for; I want to complete my RTW then retire to an old folk home and charm all the olde girls...

Blue side up!
__________________

__________________
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 05:17   #47
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,867
Images: 4
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

After having watched The Same model Amel in question follow us( in a much smaller leopard cat) broad reaching in large seas for over 24 hours, I would never want to sail on one my opinion. The "ship" rolled 30 degrees to 30 degrees, non stop the entire time we saw them. Not to mention the internal keel drive system which if it breaks down somehere other then France may as well get another boat.
Obviously many posters are basing opinions based on hull build etc , not having sailed on either or seen either sail first hand...
__________________

__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 05:27   #48
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,805
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
After having watched The Same model Amel in question follow us( in a much smaller leopard cat) broad reaching in large seas for over 24 hours, I would never want to sail on one my opinion. The "ship" rolled 30 degrees to 30 degrees, non stop the entire time we saw them. Not to mention the internal keel drive system which if it breaks down somehere other then France may as well get another boat.
Obviously many posters are basing opinions based on hull build etc , not having sailed on either or seen either sail first hand...

Come on now, you know rolling beam to beam is considered real sailing:-).
We sailed next to a SM in our 36' Seawind catamaran in about 10kts of wind and I wasn't impressed at all with the SM's light wind performance. I'm sure once the wind pipes up she will get going and probably a well built seaworthy boat.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 05:45   #49
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,867
Images: 4
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Come on now, you know rolling beam to beam is considered real sailing:-).
We sailed next to a SM in our 36' Seawind catamaran in about 10kts of wind and I wasn't impressed at all with the SM's light wind performance. I'm sure once the wind pipes up she will get going and probably a well built seaworthy boat.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, I'm sure beating head on Into large seas in heavy air the SM would be better,, I would love to know what so fatally catastrophic on Zero2cruising's Amel that inspired them to stop sailing and sue the seller....
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 06:16   #50
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,805
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Yeah, I'm sure beating head on Into large seas in heavy air the SM would be better,, I would love to know what so fatally catastrophic on Zero2cruising's Amel that inspired them to stop sailing and sue the seller....


Seems strange suing the seller of a 20-30 year old used boat and even after a prepurchase survey.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 06:47   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,147
Images: 1
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
After having watched The Same model Amel in question follow us( in a much smaller leopard cat) broad reaching in large seas for over 24 hours, I would never want to sail on one my opinion. The "ship" rolled 30 degrees to 30 degrees, non stop the entire time we saw them. Not to mention the internal keel drive system which if it breaks down somehere other then France may as well get another boat.
Obviously many posters are basing opinions based on hull build etc , not having sailed on either or seen either sail first hand...
So to summarize this thread, the take-away for the OP is "neither boat, keep looking"?
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 06:49   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,997
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
So to summarize this thread, the take-away for the OP is "neither boat, keep looking"?


Or, neither is ideal.....nor is any other.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:03   #53
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 21,269
Images: 2
pirate Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Theres a lot of talk about how slow and crap the 380 is so heres some facts..
Monte.. who many members will remember for his many contributions to the forum over the years.. sold his 380 to an American lady who wished to participate in the ARC..
I arrived in Bari, Italy the first week of Oct to collect the boat and recieved an afternoons update on the boat as he and Jen wanted to start their drive to France that evening..
My mission was to get the boat to Gran Canaria's Las Palmas marina before the end of the pre inspection date in the second week of November.. else she would be ineligible.
The Med in winter is a bit bumpy but I sailed in the late afternoon the day after taking command down the E of Italy and then across to Sicily.. along its S Coast (anchored one night for wind shift) then jumped across to Mallorca experiencing N'ly F7 gusting 8's which had us hitting 11kts regularly along the way.. there we grabbed a couple of days rest and replenished supplies for the rest of the trip.. arrived on a Sat evening and sailed Monday evening.
From there we sailed nonstop to Las Palmas averaging over 8kts for a large portion of the trip.. bar 100 miles from Gib between Cabo de Gato and the Strait where there was no wind.
We arrived with three days to spare before the cut off date..
Thats a distance of 2300nm in varied conditions of wind and seas in around 4 weeks..
So yes.. I would be confident in a Lagoon 380 RTW where the times one faces headwinds are limited and the sailing is 90% downwind in the Tropics.. the biggest challenge would be rounding Good Hope.. if one took that route.. after that its back to running with the wind as it takes you N and across to Brazil or the Indies.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:29   #54
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,867
Images: 4
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
So to summarize this thread, the take-away for the OP is "neither boat, keep looking"?
, We tied up to an elderly couple in the 70's-80s? In Horta last year who was finishing a RTW. On a early model Lagoon 380. The boat was already sold but had to finish their last leg back to the UK. They were quite pleased with how she handled and how easy it was for them at their age (they were in good shape) to handle her.
The boat was spacious, easy to get around on, though I didn't care for the engine lockers and lids.
Why would anyone think this boat wouldn't be suitable?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:33   #55
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,867
Images: 4
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Seems strange suing the seller of a 20-30 year old used boat and even after a prepurchase survey.
Maybe they didnt like the Rolling

Sent from my SM-T350 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:34   #56
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,099
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

...payload was no topic for you though, boatman61...
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:46   #57
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,206
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Theres a lot of talk about how slow and crap the 380 is so heres some facts..
Monte.. who many members will remember for his many contributions to the forum over the years.. sold his 380 to an American lady who wished to participate in the ARC..
I arrived in Bari, Italy the first week of Oct to collect the boat and recieved an afternoons update on the boat as he and Jen wanted to start their drive to France that evening..
My mission was to get the boat to Gran Canaria's Las Palmas marina before the end of the pre inspection date in the second week of November.. else she would be ineligible.
The Med in winter is a bit bumpy but I sailed in the late afternoon the day after taking command down the E of Italy and then across to Sicily.. along its S Coast (anchored one night for wind shift) then jumped across to Mallorca experiencing N'ly F7 gusting 8's which had us hitting 11kts regularly along the way.. there we grabbed a couple of days rest and replenished supplies for the rest of the trip.. arrived on a Sat evening and sailed Monday evening.
From there we sailed nonstop to Las Palmas averaging over 8kts for a large portion of the trip.. bar 100 miles from Gib between Cabo de Gato and the Strait where there was no wind.
We arrived with three days to spare before the cut off date..
Thats a distance of 2300nm in varied conditions of wind and seas in around 4 weeks..
So yes.. I would be confident in a Lagoon 380 RTW where the times one faces headwinds are limited and the sailing is 90% downwind in the Tropics.. the biggest challenge would be rounding Good Hope.. if one took that route.. after that its back to running with the wind as it takes you N and across to Brazil or the Indies.
I've said on this thread that I'd choose the Amel BUT I totally agree with you Boatie. Some of the comments here, both ways are just ridiculous. I said earlier there was a 38 crossing the Indian ocean with me this year, it did fine, family of four onboard. They cruise at respectable speeds and have no more or less problems than anyone else. This family will be going around good hope shortly.
Oh, that's another fact!
__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:00   #58
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 21,269
Images: 2
pirate Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Payload never is for me.. even on my own boats.
I do not suffer the obsessions of a garage load of tools, close on the weight of a spare engine in spares, 2 years food etc.. two months supply is more than sufficient in most cases as theres top up stops along the way and I would rather buy fresh than carry all those tins full of salt and preservatives many seem so fond of.. adapt to what the locals use as you go.. that's what sailing around the world is supposed to be about.. or carry a years supply of vac packed Big Macs and a microwave.. now starts the whinge about how expensive food is.. its not that expensive.. maybe spend less on the boats and more on the experiences perhaps.
To many try to adapt the oceans to their lifestyle on land rather than the other way round.. and that does not mean one has to rough it.
A small portable Honda genny rather than a monster bigger than an engine is a start.. and so it goes on.
Folks go round in all sizes of boats and manage quite well.. but then I am a small boat sailor where most posting on this thread seem to be 40ft upwards and in a way different lifestyle..
Getting old I guess.. and never been into caviar..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:08   #59
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,099
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

on each of our rtw we stayed at Chagos (a highlight of a rtw everybody will agree): once for 6 weeks & twice for 3 months. add to this the time to get there (from Darwin), could be another 3-4 weeks, then add the time to get to Aden (possible then) - another 3+ weeks, they mightn't have any toilet paper (or Pampers in the case of our 2nd trw) there, add another 4 weeks plus to get to Suez & then add 25% extra as safety margin. this amounts to a serious amount of foodstuff & toiletpaper for 2 persons (not to speak of the nappies for the baby...)...
on the first rtw we managed on the 34' Wharram - but I still marvel that it survived the crass overloading...
(& it's not that we were extravagant, on the contrary!!!)
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:10   #60
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,206
Re: Lagoon 380 cat vs Amel Super Maramu for tradewinds RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Seems strange suing the seller of a 20-30 year old used boat and even after a prepurchase survey.
It seems American and unfortunately now Australian.
__________________

__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380, trade, wind

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amel Super Maramu vs Lagoon 380 for tradewinds RTW LotNick Liveaboard's Forum 2 16-12-2017 12:24
For Sale: Splendid Amel Super Maramu 2000 red line - 2003 Cecile Fimbel Classifieds Archive 13 17-05-2013 09:12
For Sale: Amel Super Maramu 53' Yacht SusiH Classifieds Archive 6 08-03-2011 22:07
For Sale: Amel Super Maramu 1997 cvdhwoe Classifieds Archive 10 24-02-2010 06:01
For Sale: Amel Super Maramu - Central Florida amelforsale Classifieds Archive 2 06-11-2009 05:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.