Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 18:49   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Knowing Which Knot

Alpine Butterfly, French Bowline...what's next? Venus Butterfly? ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 19:05   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
The French Bowline

French bowline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is the preferred knot used by experienced restrainers.
i like!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 19:34   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=belizesailor;
On a regular basis aboard a boat you only use about half a dozen knots.[/QUOTE]

That's so true but sometimes you need to use something special like say a Benson Bend for example, or any number of other hitches and knots to make it just right. Maybe not so if you are in a hurry or don't care, then the standard 1/2 dozen get it done.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 20:59   #34

Apps, schmapps. I have a coupla knot books on board. I admire people who can afford Kindles, but I read books, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:25   #35

My list:

Double overhead - better stopper knot than a figure 8, which I do teach
Reef knot = square knot
Clove hitch
Cow hitch = lark's head
Rolling hitch
Double sheet bend
Round turn and 2 half hitches
Bowline - perhaps with a safety hitch (I teach 2 ways)
Trucker's hitch

And I use them all.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 00:58   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
The French Bowline

French bowline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is the preferred knot used by experienced restrainers.
I love it .
I'm obviously not an experienced restrainer not knowing that one LOL.

As described in the link, it is a really nice variation of the bowline if you need to secure something with less potential damage (the load is spread over a wide band of turns) or if you need to tie a bowline with one hand (I suggest you just throw one or two turns around in this case). The method I use at the moment for single handed bowlines is a bit awkward if there isn't just a little tension on the standing end.

The French Bowline is easier to remember and just as easy to tie if you forget about forming a second loop in the standing end and pushing this through the first loop and bringing the running end around and through the second loop, as described in the link, and instead just bring the running end around the back and go "through the hole (ie first loop), around the tree (standing end) and back through the hole" as you would normally do for a bowline. This also helps prevent pushing the running end through the second loop incorrectly.

Banjoship, your suggestion may have been made in jest, but it is an extremely useful variation for when you need to tie a bowline single handed.
Thanks for introducing me to it .

Images and instructions from Wikipedia:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	82908  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:41   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
My list:

Double overhead - better stopper knot than a figure 8, which I do teach
Reef knot = square knot
Clove hitch
Cow hitch = lark's head
Rolling hitch
Double sheet bend
Round turn and 2 half hitches
Bowline - perhaps with a safety hitch (I teach 2 ways)
Trucker's hitch

And I use them all.
Almost exactly the same as my list. I use Figure 8 for a stopper knot -- it's much prettier, and works well enough. I have a couple other friction hitches in my list besides rolling hitch -- Kleimheist, forget the name of the other.

I use a normal rather than double sheet bend.

I don't know (but would like to learn) the trucker's hitch.

Reef knot is almost useless on board -- I use it mostly for tying my shoes. But everyone knows it, so might as well be on the list I guess.

Most useful knot by far on board is the Bowline. I bet more than half of all knots on board are bowlines. Anyone acquiring knots for sailing from scratch should start with this, and don't learn any other knot until you can tie the bowline behind your back and with your eyes closed.

Second most useful knot on board, IMHO, is the rolling hitch. Which is just a clove hitch with an extra turn, so not really another knot to learn.

Clove hitch is very useful -- not very secure, but the perfect knot for quick, casual tying of something. Fenders, for example. Learn the variant you pre-make and throw over a pile -- also useful.

Sheet bend is the only knot in the list for joining two pieces of rope together. And the only one you need, really. There are other bends which are more secure and stronger, but I can't tie any of them without a book, personally, and haven't suffered without them.

Round turn and two half hitches is so simple that it's not even a knot, really -- just do it. A very useful non-knot, very strong and secure.

Most important thing for newbies: don't try to learn too many, too fast. Knowing a knot is not useful until you have it in muscle memory and can tie it blindfolded. You could get by probably with bowline, rolling hitch, clove hitch, to begin with.

Main thing is to have an absolutely ace bowline -- be able to tie it in a second and with your eyes closed. That's the most essential knot skill, and the first thing to learn.

I loved Blue Crab's anecdote above -- hilarious.

Another thing every sailor should know how to do with ropes is whip the ends of them. There is nothing more horrible to see on a boat than ropes spilling their guts out of unwhipped ends. You can get by without splicing, but this is also a very useful skill.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:29   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Knowing Which Knot

I use the Clove Hitch quite a bit.. with fenders plus a Half Hitch on the bight,, lets me slide em back and forth along the wires..
Also coming alongside in places like Horta where they have big bollards.. easy to drop a couple of loops over to hold you till your sorted and have time to set up properly..
Short handed sailor quirk..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 13:43   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I love it .
I'm obviously not an experienced restrainer not knowing that one LOL.

Banjoship, your suggestion may have been made in jest, but it is an extremely useful variation for when you need to tie a bowline single handed.
Thanks for introducing me to it .

Images and instructions from Wikipedia:
That doesn't exactly look nautical to me

Although it might be naughtyical.
Old 12-06-2014, 18:52   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

<snip>

I don't know (but would like to learn) the trucker's hitch.

<snip>

Most important thing for newbies: don't try to learn too many, too fast. Knowing a knot is not useful until you have it in muscle memory and can tie it blindfolded. You could get by probably with bowline, rolling hitch, clove hitch, to begin with.

Main thing is to have an absolutely ace bowline -- be able to tie it in a second and with your eyes closed. That's the most essential knot skill, and the first thing to learn.

<snip>
One thing to remember is that any sailing knot must be easy to release when it's dark and the line is wet and has been under load. Nothing worse than being on a pitching deck at night with a marlin spike trying to untie a genny sheet that was tied wrong.

I use a modification of the truckers hitch - Most people tie the loop/eye and that loop after being loaded is almost impossible to release. It's hard to explain but take the a loop on the working end twist it 3 times then take another loop from the working end and pass it through the first loop. This loop becomes the eye to cinch the load. When is released the twists come out and the line is perfectly straight again.

If there is interest and I get motivated I'll document it. When I use it many people go, "Wow, that's cool..."

I don't think you have to do "every" knot blindfolded but certainly the top 5 need to be.

It is also important to have the right knot for the right application - Keep a laminated cheat sheet of your favorites. There are a couple I used for towing - one ties to the cleats or bollard that is pretty cool - I always forget how to tie it and what it's called. But you can make a heavy tow have a wet line and it comes apart instantly. Also for towing is a line joining knot that looks like 2 hangman nooses - the coils slip together and take the working load - This knot is great as you can join dramatically different line sizes and also comes apart instantly. I rarely tow so always go to the cheat sheet.

Whatever it is pick your favorites, pick the appropriate knot for the need and go for it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot