Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2017, 12:23   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Kiel Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lister View Post
Sounds like a challenging schedule...

The best advice I can offer is - don't push too hard. Worst case is that you need to return to work for a week or two before you make it home. Such could be a pain, but it is not worth the potential damage to your sailing relationship with your partner to rush.

I can guarantee that the greatest risk to yourself, the boat and your relationship will be pushing hard to meet a deadline rather than just accepting things as they are, and going with the flow. Once you are back in the UK, everything else is fairly easy - you can always go home / back to work on the train / plane etc. and collect another day.

Almost all sailing accidents are the result of a timing issue - leaving when something wasn't quite right to meet a deadline, rushing to get back to work, you get the idea.

Fair winds and have a good trip

Dwayne

Best advice so far

If the weather doesn't suit now, I would leave the boat and wait for a perfect weather window -- and one should appear, this being the best part of summer. Then scoot right across, directly home.

You don't want to mess around in the North Sea, especially near the coasts, especially especially not in the crowded Southern part, in bad weather.

Ironically the North Sea gets some dead calms this time of year -- when high pressure domes form sometimes. The OP might want to motor across in one of those. Not much sailing fun, but it's pleasant and absolutely non-challenging, to go across in those conditions.

The tricky part for weather window, this time of year, is not avoiding bad weather, which is reasonably rare, but avoiding contrary winds, which are very common.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 14:03   #32

Just a few points on that , the boats tanks only hold just over 12 galls so motoring over is not an easy option without carrying about 10 jerry cans strapped to the rails , I can see that you do appreciate that reasonable weather windows for a North passage are a little unreliable to say the least whereas i have a better chance of a couple of days at a time to port hop along the south route and then up the English coast , I have two weeks and would rather leave the boat in an English marina where I can return to easily than somewhere in Denmark where I would still be at the mercy of the the ever elusive weather window . I think in all reality it will be south crossing , but only time will tell ,, as I sad earlier I have no intention of messing around anywhere in bad weather !! and that means anywhere coastal or otherwise !! Hence the continual watch on the weather and considering all options
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 17:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Detailed output from the GFS model here:

Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

It's not very accurate a week out, but will give a rough idea of the kind of flow which will probably be.
Thanks for that , best I have found for Baltic so far , gives an idea for nxt week , will see how it develops , R
Old 21-06-2017, 22:15   #34

Anyone know if diesel is available at East end of the Cannal ?
Old 30-06-2017, 13:21   #35

Oh well , it serves its purpose , boring days motoring , serviced by rude ignorant guys at both ends who obv have no time nor consideration for yachts , only high spot is the little marina at Borgsteidt , just 100 yards off the Cannal ,run by couple of very very nice people , can't say enough in praise of them . (They do diesel )
Old 30-06-2017, 22:14   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Oh well , it serves its purpose , boring days motoring , serviced by rude ignorant guys at both ends who obv have no time nor consideration for yachts , only high spot is the little marina at Borgsteidt , just 100 yards off the Cannal ,run by couple of very very nice people , can't say enough in praise of them . (They do diesel )
So you've gone through, have you? Congrats.

Concerning "rude, ignorant guys" -- I believe my advice was NOT to call them. The accepted routine is to go to the waiting area, wait for a lock, and go through when you get the occluded white signal. Monitor the lock channels, but don't chatter on them.
They are really busy with commercial ship traffic (Kiel Canal is the busiest artificial waterway in the world) and yes, they don't have time to chat with yachters.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 23:04   #37

Yes gone throo , now in Cruxhaven , a very very wet Cruxhaven , waiting till the westerlies change in a few days , did I say I called them , no , I didn't , my only experience was on dock side while they stood above , about 6 of them laughing as myself , one sweedish boat ( young couple with baby on board ) and one German one struggled in very windy conditions to secure our boats without damaging them , try to excuse them if you will but I told them exactly what I thot of them !! However the Baltic was beautiful what I saw of it , round Rugen up past Stralsund and into Keil , stoped in some beautiful little spots o/nite .