Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 17:55   #1

Kidding Myself?

Hello,

I lurk around here quite a bit. Sailing is something I want to do. I have always owned a boat, but power boat. The only sailing I have done is on one of those little sunfish.

Am I kidding myself if I think I can go out and pick up a 25'+ sail boat and expect to sail?

I gave up on trying to find people to go out with since I do not live on the water and do not know any one with a sail boat.
TBoneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:10   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is a pretty heavy interest in sailing vessels here, TBoneFan, but there is a devoted power contingent, as well. If you click on the Discussion Board button at the top of the page, then scroll down to The Fleet section, you will see a Forum for Powered Boats. Lots of good information in there that you might find interesting, and you probably have some insights of your own to add to the mix.

In addition, in all of the Forums on that page that don't deal specifically with sailing vessels, the subject matter is just as relevant to power boaters as sailors.

So welcome to the Forum, TBoneFan. Take the time to look around and catch up on your reading. Anything you want to add, or have a question about, jump on in. We look forward to your contributions.

TaoJones
Old 23-08-2009, 18:29   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneFan View Post
Am I kidding myself if I think I can go out and pick up a 25'+ sail boat and expect to sail?

Its not rocket science.

Old buggers have been sailing for years... some more than a century or 2. Someone even told me the Vikings sailed whilst wearing stupid looking hats.

The only thing in common with sailing over the 40 centuries we have been doing it is that people who have done it tell those who have not that its complicated, difficult and a science!

Just jump on board, pull up the white floppy things and you will soon know the 'secrets'!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:35   #4

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Not crazy in the least.

Its exactly what I did. It was on a lake, however. 25' Seidelmann. I read a book, bought the boat, got a 30 minute run through sail from the guy I was buying it from. Next sail I was singlehanding. Its far from Rocket Science, people have been doing it for thousands of years. Go for it.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:40   #5

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Wow...

Mark, I hadn't even read your post when I posted mine.... It would appear we have very similar though processes. LOL
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:57   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
I'd have to agree,You're not kidding Yourself,but obviously take it careful til u gain experience,if You happen to buy the boat off a guy who seriously loves it then he may very well be wiling to take u out on it the first coupe of times u go as well
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Sailing a sunfish uses a ail but it's not the same thing as a keel boat. You could learn on a 25 or so as easy as anyone here did. Smaller boats are fun and you learn all the same things but to cruise you nneed a keel boat. I'm sure you wouldn't cruise on a sunfish. If you can, try one of the basic keel boat courses from US Sail or ASA. They start from nothing and you'll be sailing at some level at the end. This stuff is 10's of thousands of years old but you can't learn over night. If you can find a way that is fun then you are pretty much all the way there.

Funny hats are of course optional unless you have other aspirations. Some folks do. I generally don't wear mine for pictures.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:29   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I wanted very much to sail but like you didn't know anyone with a sailboat, I read several learning to sail type books, 35 yrs ago so don't recall the names, Royce's was one I still have. We bought a used Lightning, my Dad, who knew less about it than I, and a friend went out and sailed on the lake, No problem everything went just about as the books had said they would. We enjoyed the Lightning and another trailerable sail boat for years. So, go out and buy a book or CDs on sailing and give it a try I'd pick a nice calm lake on a not too windy day for the first outing. Or go somewhere and take some lessons. then if you still like it step up in sizes as needed and experience allows
Good luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I went from a Sailfish that I built as a kid to a 26' boat but with a 10 year hiatus from sailing in between. When I bought my new sailboat, the guy from the dealer who was suopposed to help me move the boat to it's slip got drunk and passed out. Another friend and I had to sail the boat from where it was launched at Ala Wai Marine out in the ocean and down the coast to Keehi Lagoon. Not a long sail but it was at night, first time on the boat, involved open ocean sailing with a sail change and reefing and entering a harbor at night, without a chart, for the first time. Went on from that experience to sail all around the Islands with girlfriends who were mostly sailing novices in that boat. Never have had a formal lesson, except class room on Celestial Nav, just read a lot, and went out and did it. Can't say things didn't get interesting at times like putting up a spinnaker, single handed, while reading the instructions, but it all worked out. Later, managed to get back to Kona with a little detour via the US East Coast and SoPac on little bit bigger boats.

So, Yeah!! I'd say go for it. Sounds like a normal way to get into sailing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 20:04   #10

Boat: C&C 29
I'd say go for it! why not? you can do it!

way back in the 1970's a guy called Shane Acton bought an old 18ft plywood sailboat and decided to sail around the world in it. having never sailed a boat before, he borrowed a book from the library and set off down the River Cam from Cambridge, England book in one hand and sails in the other!
It took him about 7 years to complete his voyage and his subsequent book 'Shrimpy' is well worth reading if you can find a copy.
snapdragon747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40   #11

There are a lot of 25' "classic plastic" trailer sailors out there just waiting for a new owner to love them up. Depending on your interest, some need a little elbow grease and a good cleaning, others are ready to go, as the owner moves up to a larger boat. Check out www.sailingtexas.com for information on both boats for sale, and prices similiar boats sold for. You could also check craig's list in your area.

Since you know the rules of the road, you may just want to find a 101 level sailing class to get you set you on the right course.
Good Luck
Tom and Marilyn
www.ashoreschool.com
Ashoreschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:31   #12

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Why are people like this exhaulted as inspirational heros whilst newbies like me with a dream are labeled as 'Dreamers' in the derogatory sense and irresponsible? I know 2 guys who taught themselves to fly simply by taxiing faster and faster untill they did longer and longer hops, just like Orville and Wilber, but when I made the mistake of telling my stepdad thats what I did he went balistic and threatened to tell the CAA. Shirley with a lick of uncommon sense, it aint that hard or dangerous?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:33   #13

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

As Paul mentioned, if you're a little hesitant -- take a course; good base for starting. Or go charter a boat. From what I've seen of some folks chartering, they don't have the experience you have! As a friend says of the Moorings -- have Visa, will charter -- that's what you pay the insurance for.....

good winds,
c
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Some people get it, and some don't. That goes for anything in life. I could've taught myself to sail in some places. Where I started ti was blowing at least 25 knots daily, and the traffice hellish on S.F Bay. I chose to take lessons, and would advise that t5o anyone. First off you start off with no, or at least less bad habits. To be sure less interesting times, and could possibly be labled dangerous.

Being a dreamer is a good thing. Nothing gets done with a dreamer on the team. There is a huge difference in being a dreamer, and being an idiot. I have had many dreams, and keep coming up with new ones. anjou, go ahead, and be a dreamer, but be aware of the realities. You're too damned smart ot be an idiot, so keep on dreaming, and live them too.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:10   #15

As someone has already said, sailing is not rocket science. Learning how to trim the sails to get that last tenth of a knot, etc will take time to learn but the basics are easy to grasp. Don't let a lack of experience or the 'experts' quash your dreams - everyone has to start somewhere - whether it's going on structured courses or buying your own boat from the outset and hiring a skipper for a day or two of intensive tuition. Just take it slow and gradually build up experience. In the UK more people are injured or killed riding horses and playing rugby than by sailing. The most dangerous part of sailing is driving to the boat.

Many of yesterday's dreamers have gone on to achieve great things. I would never criticise a dreamer. I would instead encourage them to turn their dreams into reality. Go for it!
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote