Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 03:42   #31

Re: Key West, Anchor then row in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Fourwinds,
The current can rip through the main channel in Key West. When you mix an opposing tide against the wind and incessant boat traffic it can be a challenge if not a real safety issue. In my opinion, Key West is not a cruisers destination but rather a tourist trap. The ghost of Hemingway is long gone. However, a reasonable moorage is available at Garrison Bight Moorings with pumpouts and a dingy dock although it is an open roadstead with any wind blowing from the North. Good luck and good sailing. P.S. If I were anchored around the Wisteria Homeless Encampment, I would cross the channel north of G "29" FlG 4s for a potentially smoother ride and once across work along the east shore into Key West. I would not attempt it without a motor.
I kind of agree. A lot of the people living on those anchored boats are people who work in Key West and can't afford to live there on land. Why a homeless person, or other of limited means would try and financially survive in KW is beyond my understanding.

We're headed that way now and my wife says she doesn't even want to stop at KW.
Old 14-10-2015, 03:57   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What do you mean by an external fuel filter?
In line fuel filter, best are the ones like baby Racors you mount on the transom, but I've had good luck with the plastic ones that you just splice into the fuel line before the bulb, I put them before the bulb as I'm not so sure how well they handle pressure
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 04:24   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In line fuel filter, best are the ones like baby Racors you mount on the transom, but I've had good luck with the plastic ones that you just splice into the fuel line before the bulb, I put them before the bulb as I'm not so sure how well they handle pressure
How does that work with the Honda 2.5 with it's built in tank?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 04:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I kind of agree. A lot of the people living on those anchored boats are people who work in Key West and can't afford to live there on land. Why a homeless person, or other of limited means would try and financially survive in KW is beyond my understanding.

If you're heading to the Keys but not KW where are you going?
Old 14-10-2015, 04:43   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
How does that work with the Honda 2.5 with it's built in tank?
No idea, smallest outboard I have ever had was a 10 HP, and that was before 9.9's to give you an idea how long ago that was. OK I had a weedeater looking one that lasted a few days twenty or so years ago, does that count? I thought it a good idea, but Lord was that thing loud and the cable that drove the prop broke, to say nothing of it had almost no thrust.
I didn't know or think the little outboards only had internal tanks, they all do?
But I'd bet there is an in-line filter in one anyway
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 04:59   #36

Quote:
If you're heading to the Keys but not KW where are you going?
Bahamas. Easier to go there on the Keys route.
Old 14-10-2015, 06:00   #37

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var Korall View Post
You do not need to register the motorized dink if it is a "tender to" your boat and only used to go back and forth between the boat and shore.
IF the mother ship is documented, AND the tender is used only as a tender for ship to shore and not for side trips, it can be marked as "T/T" (tender to) and not registered, even in Florida. Otherwise, if powered-gas/propane/electric- it needs to be registered, at least here in FL.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 06:30   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
... The current can be an issue, but if you know how to 'ferry' (I wrote an article for Cruising World about dinghies and such; you can find a description there. The article can be searched on their website) it can be worked with...
Ben Zartman
zartmancruising dot com
Thanks Ben.

“... If you’re fortunate enough to anchor directly opposite the dinghy dock, you can get across regardless of current by an age-old technique called ferrying. It involves holding the dinghy’s bow at about a 45- to 60-degree angle to the current and rowing gently, but not as if to make headway against it. If the proper angle is maintained, the dinghy will simply travel across the current without losing any ground. I’ll refrain from asserting that some sort of hydrodynamic hoodoo best illustrated by airplane wings is responsible for the phenomenon; I’ll only say that it works. If the bow points up too far, you’ll be rowing like the dickens to get nowhere, and if the boat turns broadside to the current it will begin to get swept downstream. But with practice, ferrying can become the most useful tool for getting safely across strong currents. Sometimes when going upstream it’s best to ferry across the swiftest part of the current and then proceed upstream in quieter water near the bank...”

More ➥ Sailboat Dinghy Tips and Tricks | Cruising World

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 07:51   #39

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Are there any other anchorages in the Keys that anyone could suggest? We've only done Marathon on the way to the Bahamas but we're hoping to do the Keys next year.
Scout,
Are you going the Florida Bay route or Hawk's Channel?
Old 14-10-2015, 08:08   #40

pirate Re: Key West, Anchor then row in?

Consider the Bahamas, cleaner water, cheaper, great sailing, very interesting, about 800 Mi. Long from hope town to clarence to, long island. Many islands, populated& unpopulated.--- SV Raggedy Ann. Caliber 33
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Scout,
Are you going the Florida Bay route or Hawk's Channel?
We haven't officially planned anything yet. We'll be coming from the Tampa Bay area & I've been thinking about heading straight for the Dry Tortugas & then over to KW for a few days, then up the east coast & across Okeechobee.
Old 14-10-2015, 08:29   #42

pirate Re: Key West, Anchor then row in?

Check Bahamas, better everything, water, crowds, honesty, If possible call Bahamas Embassy, get info & letter of introduction.---SV Raggedy Ann, Caliber 33
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 21:24   #43

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

If you feel you have to anchor in Key West in the november and on. anchor at the east side of wisteria aka christmas tree island, as the NW wind at 25+ makes for a really rough night. The wake from the Parasail boats is nothing compared to two different seas of 3 to 5 feet. I've rowed my 8' pilot with 6' ores across there many times. be prepared for confused seas, witless boaters and law enforcement officials that aren't versed on the maritime laws.

other wise go to marathon/boot key ( closed harbor low current and no high speed boaters...easy rowing) and take a 4 dollar bus ride of an hour back and forth. runs about evert hour and a half. a few good restaurants and sights to check along the way too.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 21:58   #44

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

I've lived in Key West off and on since '62 and have watched the ones "with means" come in. Yes they have made it next to impossible for the average joe to live there. even the ones born and raised there. They come in with their "means" and look down on those that would live with less Just to be able to live on a sub-tropical island...the same desire the ones with means have. Those "limited means" people are the ones picking up your trash, washing your dishes, cooking your meals, serving your drinks, cleaning the bathrooms, doing the things a lot wouldn't sully their hands with. And still they are looked down on. Understanding might come if one looks at another as an equal. The Captain only touches the shift lever to move the boat, that doesn't mean the cable, gear, bearing,washer bolt are any less important or worthy.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:08   #45

If we were going to stay for an extended time at one place it would be Boot Key. I know there are over 200 moorings. Does anyone know if it fills up in the winter?

Tags
anchor, key west