Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 06:26   #241

Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Trashing laptop one night in the box. Be safe amd enjoy.
Cool hand
One night in the box?! That's walk the plank stuff!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 06:51   #242
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
You exaggerate. The dangers sailing single handed don't even approximate the danger posed in your example.
I'm still waiting on Joshua Slocum's sequel book on his voyage down to the Caribbean.... I wonder how it will end?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 07:40   #243

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm still waiting on Joshua Slocum's sequel book on his voyage down to the Caribbean.... I wonder how it will end?
Some say he sailed to an adjacent bay where he beached and burned Spray. He settled down in a hut overlooking the bay. There is a book (possibly available s/h from Amazon) where one can read about it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 07:50   #244
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

A friend sailed with John and Amanda Neal. Apparently they put a paying crew member ashore for not informing John of a vessel on the horizon.
That's a bit steep, but if it was communicated to the crew in standing orders ,I view that as a serious breach.

In my case I modify the standing orders depending on who I sail with. Newbies get explicit orders to wake me for course changes , sail changes and vessels approaching ( vessels on the horizons , would have me up all night in certain places )

Dave
Old 17-08-2013, 08:01   #245

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'll tell you it ain't blue. Our autopilot came with a blue halo around the course knob. I have never experienced eye pain like that thing created in the middle of the night!!
It is not the color, it is the intensity that matters. The whole red light thing was disproved a while ago. The only reason red "seems" to work is because it is almost always a very low intensity. The human eye is most sensitive to the green/yellow part of the spectrum, so a low intensity green light would probably be best. White light is always best if one needs to see colors on things (try reading red markings or letters on a chart under red light).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:15   #246

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The only reason red "seems" to work is because it is almost always a very low intensity. White light is always best if one needs to see colors on things (try reading red markings or letters on a chart under red light).

Mark
No it works because the rods used for scotopic vision are insensitive to red. You can therefore see detail with your retinal cones in red light illumination leaving your rods unaffected and still ready to use.

If you use anything other than red you bleach out your rods if it is bright enough to read even large letters or figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
White light is always best if one needs to see colors on things (try reading red markings or letters on a chart under red light).

Mark
+1. Sometimes its worth sacrificing some your dark adaptation to see colour, or see detail easily ( dull red is difficult and unpleasant to use), but it is a shame if you are only making a coffee or quickly checking a compass bearing.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:22   #247

Boat: a sailing boat

I simply turn off/cover all lights. Can't see why others can't (?)

The only light that is most of the time on will be our compass lamp - very dim, very red and this one too switched of if the night is starry.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:33   #248

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

The only light that is most of the time on will be our compass lamp - very dim, very red and this one too switched of if the night is starry.

b.
+1
Everyone should try this. You will be amazed how much more detail you can see after 1/2 hour.
There are other times when the radar, AIS and chartplotter are invaluable and its worth reducing your dark adaptation to use these devices.

At least have the ability to change to maximium night vision mode when its warranted.
Its great if you can set up your boat so you can still get basic information like depth, heading, STW, SOG waypoint information etc with no, or minimal effect on night vision.
Few boats achieve these basic goals.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:56   #249
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

At least have the ability to change to maximium night vision mode when its warranted.
Its great if you can set up your boat so you can still get basic information like depth, heading, STW, SOG waypoint information etc with no, or minimal effect on night vision.
Few boats achieve these basic goals.
Which is why I like analog needle type gauges and hate the modern graphic equivalent

Dave
Old 17-08-2013, 09:09   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That's a bit steep, but if it was communicated to the crew in standing orders ,I view that as a serious breach.

In my case I modify the standing orders depending on who I sail with. Newbies get explicit orders to wake me for course changes , sail changes and vessels approaching ( vessels on the horizons , would have me up all night in certain places )

Dave
Out curiosity, how many have standing orders? I have one set for my around Vancouver Island and another set for ocean. I have everyone read and initial and they are in the front of the deck log. They have been modified over time based on "experience." For example, a course change must be preceded by a 360 degree horizon sweep and a radar check. One crew gybed when a freighter was close to overtaking them.

I have them because I am usually sailing with folks I do not know and I am usually doing instruction as well.

I tell my crews that I will sleep better knowing that they will wake if needed.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:13   #251
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Out curiosity, how many have standing orders? I have one set for my around Vancouver Island and another set for ocean. I have everyone read and initial and they are in the front of the deck log. They have been modified over time based on "experience." For example, a course change must be preceded by a 360 degree horizon sweep and a radar check. One crew gybed when a freighter was close to overtaking them.

I have them because I am usually sailing with folks I do not know and I am usually doing instruction as well.

I tell my crews that I will sleep better knowing that they will wake if needed.
I have standing orders on a page that post at the nav table . I have night orders that I write at the top of the log page.

But primarily I emphasise calling me if in doubt and the presence of traffic. Very few things can kill the boat instantly like a 50,000 tanker !

Dave
Old 17-08-2013, 09:19   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
All lights? Including your masthead running light?

Seriously, even the masthead light casts enough light to potential affect night vision. Especially the stern white light.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:36   #253
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

masthead running light??? aint got one. mine are 10 ft off water and outward. safe and visible by all. they also add a little light to the sails so is more visible.
accommodation for night vision varies from individual to individual
there is a lot to do in darkness---even without capability of reading books or listening to music--the music of the ocean and the stars and life in seas--they keep you occupied, along with sail trim, navigation, and sifting ambient weird lights from distances unknown....
and, when nothing is around ---horizon checks for wayward fishing boats and ships of any sort.
and drift nets.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:01   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
No it works because the rods used for scotopic vision are insensitive to red. You can therefore see detail with your retinal cones in red light illumination leaving your rods unaffected and still ready to use.

If you use anything other than red you bleach out your rods if it is bright enough to read even large letters or figures.

+1. Sometimes its worth sacrificing some your dark adaptation to see colour, or see detail easily ( dull red is difficult and unpleasant to use), but it is a shame if you are only making a coffee or quickly checking a compass bearing.
Night Vision - The Red Myth

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf (summary on first page)

What is the purpose of blue lights used in a submarine

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 17-08-2013, 10:03   #255

Quote:
Out curiosity, how many have standing orders?
If I gave standing orders to my crew, I would no longer be standing. I do, however, obey any orders she gives me...

Mark