Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 11:03   #376
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What the person said was that it's smart to stand while at the helm sailing in difficult conditions. The reference was to boats with wheels and he pointed out that you'll feel things through your feet the way you feel things through the tiller.

I don't think anyone said that anyone on watch has to stand.
C'mon now, don't make me go back through the posts. I know what I read, and the poster said they require their crew on watch to stand. But, hey I could be Wrong! Again.
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:05   #377
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post


Not that it would be completely impossible to stand watch like this, but long passages, short handed it would be very wearing, take a lot of fun out of the trip and as you say, nobody needs to.

As long as someone is on deck most of the time, scans the horizon (full 360 including aft and behind the jib) every few minutes and keeps up with other standard watch requirements (check the bilges, gauges, etc) I see little to no benefit on having to stand up the whole watch, never leave the deck, never allowed to read.

I think you've got it all just right. I wouldn't have a problem with reading like that either. Either you trust the person, or you don't.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:18   #378
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Ok Raku, now w'all on the same page

as to people giving you bad advice, sure that happens all the time, dont sweat it. Often its very hard to discern piss taking from advice on an Internet forum. ( I have to put on my shades every time Boatman writes )



So , given the fact that several posters have no crew,

(a) They're anti social gits
(b) all their crew are on the bus
(c) or paid to fly home
(d) in hospital from standing for 3 weeks
(e) staving from living on nuts for a month

it must be just me and teh guy with the hammock out there with crew then!!!!


dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:33   #379
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ok Raku, now w'all on the same page

as to people giving you bad advice, sure that happens all the time, dont sweat it. Often its very hard to discern piss taking from advice on an Internet forum. ( I have to put on my shades every time Boatman writes )



So , given the fact that several posters have no crew,

(a) They're anti social gits
(b) all their crew are on the bus
(c) or paid to fly home
(d) in hospital from standing for 3 weeks
(e) staving from living on nuts for a month

it must be just me and teh guy with the hammock out there with crew then!!!!


dave

Oh that hammock is SWEET but I don't see any way to use it on my boat. DURN!

I really would have put one crew member on shore once if we hadn't been able to turn around. Do you *really* think it's unreasonable for the skipper to expect that crew will follow reasonable instructions? This guy argued about *everything,* including how deep the water was. (He aso wanted me to move the boat close to shore in a storm, and a bunch of other blockheaded things). I couldn't turn my back on him for a second. The other crew member had much less time over water but had done it much more intelligently, and if she wondered why we were doing something, she didn't just go off and do something completely different. She ... asked. What a concept.

I wouldn't have the guy who told me that rat-ass, jury-rigged "reefing system" was adequate on my boat, nor the guy who hit it because he was on autopilot asleep leaning up against the cabin side, nor the fellow who wanted to let the boat round up in too much wind and sea for my first boat because it was "fun."

There are also people who, when they sail with me, are the skipper, because I respect their knowledge AND can trust them to not take stupid risks with my boat they wouldn't on their own. I know I will learn from them. But I'm not a bad sailor myself and I make good calls in a pinch.

I don't sweat bad advice, and I know enough now to recognize it when I hear it/read it. But on line and in person I have seen people deliberately give bad advice because they find it entertaining, or they're annoyed or whatever, and I don't respect those people.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:48   #380
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

hammocks on smaller boats hang well between main mast and headstay.

my boat requires an inner forestay or a temp babystay for installation of same hammock.

i am happier in my cool comfortable aft cockpit with a cooling tropical breeze blowing across my sofa....unfortunately those breezes are too soft for sailing here..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:53   #381
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ok Raku, now w'all on the same page

as to people giving you bad advice, sure that happens all the time, dont sweat it. Often its very hard to discern piss taking from advice on an Internet forum. ( I have to put on my shades every time Boatman writes )



So , given the fact that several posters have no crew,

(a) They're anti social gits
(b) all their crew are on the bus
(c) or paid to fly home
(d) in hospital from standing for 3 weeks
(e) staving from living on nuts for a month

it must be just me and teh guy with the hammock out there with crew then!!!!

dave
And then there is always the possibility there are among us some who just don't have what's necessary to sail alone. Skill, cojenes and ability to be alone for long periods of time. Makes you wonder if they could even stand themselves without the diversion of having others around.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:10   #382
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
I really would have put one crew member on shore once if we hadn't been able to turn around. Do you *really* think it's unreasonable for the skipper to expect that crew will follow reasonable instructions? This guy argued about *everything,* including how deep the water was. (He aso wanted me to move the boat close to shore in a storm, and a bunch of other blockheaded things). I couldn't turn my back on him for a second. The other crew member had much less time over water but had done it much more intelligently, and if she wondered why we were doing something, she didn't just go off and do something completely different. She ... asked. What a concept.

I wouldn't have the guy who told me that rat-ass, jury-rigged "reefing system" was adequate on my boat, nor the guy who hit it because he was on autopilot asleep leaning up against the cabin side, nor the fellow who wanted to let the boat round up in too much wind and sea for my first boat because it was "fun."
Jeepers Raku, A lot of sh1t happens to you, I must stay well away

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:14   #383
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
And then there is always the possibility there are among us some who just don't have what's necessary to sail alone. Skill, cojenes and ability to be alone for long periods of time. Makes you wonder if they could even stand themselves without the diversion of having others around.
You make it sound like soloists are some sort of heroes, some sort of the real thing (skill, cojenes (cojones)).

But I know many single-handers, and from this (small) sample I can tell you this is not the case. They roughly fall into one of two broad groups:

- they sail alone, because they like to be alone,
- they sail alone, because no one can stand them.

I think only the former ones are proper. The latter group always seek companion, sailing partners, whatever.

There is no merit in being blonde, neither in liking to sail alone.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:19   #384
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

actually most singlehanders Ive met , sail alone cause they couldn't get a permanent other crew person , ( like the wife/GF) . Also explains why the two 'man' crew is also common.
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:27   #385
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,883
pirate Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
And then there is always the possibility there are among us some who just don't have what's necessary to sail alone. Skill, cojenes and ability to be alone for long periods of time. Makes you wonder if they could even stand themselves without the diversion of having others around.
I have a general distrust of people who need constant diversion. Are their brains devoid of thoughts? I don't need or tolerate "background noise." I know many folks who feel like they must talk all the time. A few are men but most are women, I am truly sorry to report.

As a single and devilishly handsome, slim and trim old guy I get a lot of attention from elderly widows but I'd rather go without the other benefits than listen to idle claptrap.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:34   #386
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo

Red over red, the Captain is dead..... yup 10 days with a 19yo would do it

My boat has few electronic goodies. My sounder is a simple two digit readout (and a lead line as a back-up), no RADAR, no AIS, no Plotter (well to be fair, my iPad is sort of like a plotter), Hell, I don't even own an EPIRB!

FWIW, on a long solo (I call anything over 24 hrs as long when solo), I heave-to/anchor on the same sleep schedule as on land... I sleep when tired!

If I have one extra person, we do 4hr watches, but sleep in the cockpit at night...tethered (even in benign weather)

3 or more crew is 4 on / 6 off with one of the "off" crew awake at all times in the dark..... we usually do this by sleeping 4 of the 6 off hours. Of course all the above require mandatory log entries at 15 minute intervals with position.

The older I get, the less attractive overnight passages are to me!
I don't mind overnight passages at all. Actually, I love night sailing. Life is too short, however, as far as I'm concerned, to do it short handed. Three people capable of sailing the boat is minimum for comfort, in my view, for a longer passage. What, don't you guys have that many friends you can muster for something which is this much fun? We were five-up for this year's summer cruise - alas, two empty bunks.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-ętre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:40   #387
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: British Columbia, Mexico
Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Posts: 837
Images: 23
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Have heard of singlehanders who announce position and heading over vhf to warn vessels nearby,before napping.
__________________
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:46   #388
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Have heard of singlehanders who announce position and heading over vhf to warn vessels nearby,before napping.
VHF and the cone of protection ., hmm fantasy role playing
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:46   #389
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Have heard of singlehanders who announce position and heading over vhf to warn vessels nearby,before napping.
Whether single handing or with crew if your vessel is hove-to or disabled in an area with heavy traffic, it is good practice to announce to all stations your position, speed and direction of travel. No matter the reason.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:52   #390
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

in my experience, calling out Lat Lons to shipping is a waste of time. With modern bridges, the OOW seems to have little ability or desire to plot a lat lon.

dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.