Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 20:21   #331

Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

If there is something that seriously needs light then I will use the spreader lights or get someone on deck with a spot light.
Have you even seen what happens if you catch rod rigging with a spot light?

BTW - headlamps stay off until needed, Mine could best be called a neck lamp as that is where I wear it. I also tell the crew not to look at anyone when in a conversation and headlamps are on.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 20:51   #332
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I doubt that Mrs Pardey would need reminding not to pee over the rail.

Who was the other person I mentioned?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 20:55   #333
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I find it strange , all these newbies , with all these " rules" , listen to boatman , " it depends"

If I'm on watch , the area is quiet , weather reasonable , boat is on AP , you know the 95 % time , how can yiu enforce your , quite frankly silly rule, I mean the on watch. Needs to go to the head , make tea , update and check charts and log etc I'm up and down all the time , night or day.

What have you got the cockpit crew doing ,so they MUST be up their all the time.

Really this dogma amuses me. Rules should be flexible , appropriate and reasonable , otherwise they get broken

Dave

I'm not a "newbie" and this isn't "dogma." It's hard to spot someone who has gone overboard at night, even more so if no one knows he or she accidentally went for a swim.

I think requiring someone in the cockpit before someone else goes forward is appropriate and reasonable. And if you were on my boat and took the inflexable stand you just did, I'd put you off at the next stop with bus fare home.

A lot of things depend on all sorts of things, but someone leaves the safety of the cockpit on my boat at night, and by gum, I want someone else around to throw him a line or something -- or at least take pictures!!!
Old 18-08-2013, 20:59   #334
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Quick question - how much difference does a autopilot make?

Newport to St Baths - autopilot the whole way. I had some great conversations with my watch mates.

HI to PNW - first trip AP failed - handsteered 3/4 of the way
- second and third trips - no AP (race boat) - handsteered the whole way

Handsteering especially in big seas takes a lot of work and concentration.

I do not like my crew to sit when handsteering in those conditions. The exception may be close hauled and watching tell-tales in moderate winds ( below 20 knots)

I had a crew member who thought he could sit and handsteer in 25-30 knot winds broad reaching. He managed to slam the boat.

Personally when I am standing I have a better feel for the boat in the ocean. Coastal is a different situation.

I'm assuming you mean boats with wheels. I don't see a problem sitting with a tiller, but you get a lot of feedback through a tiller you don't get from a wheel. That's interesting. I stand in rough water but didn't realize why.
Old 18-08-2013, 23:54   #335

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The correct english wording for being the person in charge of the boat is "Standing the watch". This does not refer to where you have your glutemus maximus parked.

I seriously doubt that anyone requires the person "Standing watch" to be physically standing. That would be rather asinine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I couldn't find the post, but someone said they require anyone on watch to "stand", not sit down. On a side note, reminds me of many employers who won't let their employees sit, even when the job can be done sitting. Asinine.

Anyway, standing is no insurance someone on watch will perform the job effectively. I realize when there is more than one person on board, if fatigued to the point a person risks falling asleep standing, they can ask for relief.

Twice, on my approach to Trinidad where currents and unannounced squalls can be a hazard, I've stood, trying to keep awake. On both occasions I awoke multiple times just before my nose would have had a unhappy meeting with a very hard part of the boat.

Safer sitting on a rolling boat than standing anyway.,

I would not crew on your boat or any boat that made me stand while on watch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 00:11   #336
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

D&D, the white light in Zeehags post is the steaming masthead light, so from bow on its Green white red. Zee, you can;t see both red and green from astern unless someone has seriously f*&cked up their nav light instalation..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 01:35   #337

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

You people make standing watch so hard and so complicated,

You are going to sail 100 miles Maximum over night, At 10 knots,
You look at your chart plotter in detail for that 100 miles, and plenty of room both side of your track,
If its all clear, All the way and both sides,
You set your marker on your Auto pilot,
Switch it on, Watch it for a bit to make sure its tracking right,

And then what, Nothing, Your maintenance on your boat is up to scratch,

Other than keeping an eye out for other vessels,

I spent most of my time, Flat on my back on a Hammock hanging off the back of my boat, It was the most stable place to be, It was a gentle up and down motion,

I did have to get up to stretch my legs and look out the back of the boat, Ships coming up behind,

The boat drives itself, Unless the wind changes, The wave pattern changes, Etc Etc,
You already know things are changing with out looking at the instrument panel,

And thats the only time you need to go any where near the wheel,
To Readjust your track on the Plotter, Or to change the mainsail, Which required heading directly into the wind to raise or lower it,
The Autopilot holds it there as well, So easy,

Sorry, I go past the wheel to go down below for coffee and food, With the lights on, Turn them off again when I am back in the cockpit or out the back on my hammock,

A safe bet would be twenty minutes Below, Maximum, Thats what it takes for the Disco party to arrive from the Horizon,

Over here, Ships dont conserve lighting, And you certainly can tell which way they are going, There is no guess work involved there,

Their Nav lights, The white one right at the top of the Xmas tree,

I dont know what it is, But most people cannot sit in a darkened area when there are lights available,

For the last 20 years, I have lived in a house surrounded by continous glass from floor to ceiling,
I need the lights on about 5 days a month, due to no light from the moon or heavy rain clouds,

I can see quite clearly, even if dimly, But when I tell people I will turn off the lights so they can see the view, They have a very quick look and want the lights back on, Some even get distressed,,

The only difference, Home to the boat, Ones at sea, ones in the mountains,

Any lighting on board at night, Diminshes your night vision, Turn it off, you dont need it on,

Close to shore its a different matter,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 03:13   #338
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

headlamps stay off until needed, Mine could best be called a neck lamp as that is where I wear it. I also tell the crew not to look at anyone when in a conversation and headlamps are on.

Try wearing the lamp on a hat with a brim/bill. I found that by shading my eyes, illuminating what I am working on and using the lowest LED setting that gives the needed illumination, more of my night vision is preserved.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 03:17   #339

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
One thing about Cruisers Forum, is that given the simplest problem or subject you'll always have some who make a big t-doo of it. Graphs, data references, quotes - you name it. Nothing better to do I guess.

But then, many cruising boats are outfitted with gadgets for the same reason. People just can't resist making something that can be accomplished simply, complicated!
I thought that was just a cruiser thing.

Coming from the racing world, my biggest transistion to cruising has been figuring out what to do while sailing to and from. It gets a bit slow unless you have a decent book or a problem to fix. And my longest trip so far has only been 75 miles one way (on a monohull not racing)

I figured cruisers just like to discuss way past the need.................

Ever been around an ex-navy aircraft carrier guy? I work with lots of them. Speaking of beating a dead horse. They can talk about nothing forever. Reckon thats what happens when you are stuck on a big boat for 6 months at a time.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 03:56   #340

This thread concerns me and I should have read it all... but haven't. I sail mostly with one other person who is not at the same skill level of seamanship as I am and so all the heavy lifting is left to me. They can do watch keeping... or cooking and so forth.

I've also sailed a lot single handed including 700 and 1000 miles offshore passages.

The key I've found is that under most conditions the horizon is about 15-20 minutes away. When something is within the field of view... it's essential to monitor the object/vessel and course verifying the course is not converging. Of course floating objects ... partially submerged objects are hard to spot even in the best conditions.

Radar with a guard zone is always set for evening and of course when visibility is decreased.

I don't cook meals on such passages... food is a quickie snack stiff... pretzels, candy, fruit... or maybe a can of soup. Quick gallery stop and then return to the cockpit.

Timer is set for 20 minutes and position is plotted on paper chart... all instruments checked etc. I've catnapped using this system with no problem. But this is not something I have done a lot of.

With 2 of us I can extend my cat naps and almost get enough rest on a passage. Coastal passages where one expects all manner of marine traffic, buoys, shoals and so forth requires more vigilant watch keeping.

Having competent crew of 3 or more is a luxury and sleep is not an issue. Landfalls should be made in good visibility (daylight).
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 04:03   #341
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I find it strange , all these newbies , with all these " rules" , listen to boatman , " it depends"

If I'm on watch , the area is quiet , weather reasonable , boat is on AP , you know the 95 % time , how can yiu enforce your , quite frankly silly rule, I mean the on watch. Needs to go to the head , make tea , update and check charts and log etc I'm up and down all the time , night or day.

What have you got the cockpit crew doing ,so they MUST be up their all the time.

Really this dogma amuses me. Rules should be flexible , appropriate and reasonable , otherwise they get broken

Dave
Dave... don't point 'Raku' in my direction mate... she's said it countless times... she's expert friends on the dock and will NEVER take my advice.... even as she was going down for the 3rd time...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 05:06   #342
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm not a "newbie" and this isn't "dogma." It's hard to spot someone who has gone overboard at night, even more so if no one knows he or she accidentally went for a swim.

I think requiring someone in the cockpit before someone else goes forward is appropriate and reasonable. And if you were on my boat and took the inflexable stand you just did, I'd put you off at the next stop with bus fare home.

A lot of things depend on all sorts of things, but someone leaves the safety of the cockpit on my boat at night, and by gum, I want someone else around to throw him a line or something -- or at least take pictures!!!
what inflexible stand, I agree about going forward, but what you said was someone going below before someone was up .

inflexible and dogma are basically teh same thing. I apply common sense.

Quote:
I'd put you off at the next stop with bus fare home
I tend to sail much farther then the bus routes
Old 19-08-2013, 05:14   #343
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
T

I've also sailed a lot single handed including 700 and 1000 miles offshore passages.

I don't cook meals on such passages... food is a quickie snack stiff... pretzels, candy, fruit... or maybe a can of soup. Quick gallery stop and then return to the cockpit.
Jeez Id hate to be on a 4-6 day cruise with you. with two up, we make dinner, I cook , the other cooks, whatever.

dave
Old 19-08-2013, 05:15   #344
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dave... don't point 'Raku' in my direction mate... she's said it countless times... she's expert friends on the dock and will NEVER take my advice.... even as she was going down for the 3rd time...
SO it would seem Boatman, so it would seem and the worse she will be for it

dave
Old 19-08-2013, 05:16   #345
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You people make standing watch so hard and so complicated,

You are going to sail 100 miles Maximum over night, At 10 knots,
You look at your chart plotter in detail for that 100 miles, and plenty of room both side of your track,
If its all clear, All the way and both sides,
You set your marker on your Auto pilot,
Switch it on, Watch it for a bit to make sure its tracking right,

And then what, Nothing, Your maintenance on your boat is up to scratch,

Other than keeping an eye out for other vessels,

I spent most of my time, Flat on my back on a Hammock hanging off the back of my boat, It was the most stable place to be, It was a gentle up and down motion,

I did have to get up to stretch my legs and look out the back of the boat, Ships coming up behind,

The boat drives itself, Unless the wind changes, The wave pattern changes, Etc Etc,
You already know things are changing with out looking at the instrument panel,

And thats the only time you need to go any where near the wheel,
To Readjust your track on the Plotter, Or to change the mainsail, Which required heading directly into the wind to raise or lower it,
The Autopilot holds it there as well, So easy,

Sorry, I go past the wheel to go down below for coffee and food, With the lights on, Turn them off again when I am back in the cockpit or out the back on my hammock,

A safe bet would be twenty minutes Below, Maximum, Thats what it takes for the Disco party to arrive from the Horizon,

Over here, Ships dont conserve lighting, And you certainly can tell which way they are going, There is no guess work involved there,

Their Nav lights, The white one right at the top of the Xmas tree,

I dont know what it is, But most people cannot sit in a darkened area when there are lights available,

For the last 20 years, I have lived in a house surrounded by continous glass from floor to ceiling,
I need the lights on about 5 days a month, due to no light from the moon or heavy rain clouds,

I can see quite clearly, even if dimly, But when I tell people I will turn off the lights so they can see the view, They have a very quick look and want the lights back on, Some even get distressed,,

The only difference, Home to the boat, Ones at sea, ones in the mountains,

Any lighting on board at night, Diminshes your night vision, Turn it off, you dont need it on,

Close to shore its a different matter,
+1 , Thats the reality, ( except for the hammock).

dave