Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 07:26   #241
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Trashing laptop one night in the box. Be safe amd enjoy.
Cool hand
One night in the box?! That's walk the plank stuff!
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 07:51   #242
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,506
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
You exaggerate. The dangers sailing single handed don't even approximate the danger posed in your example.
I'm still waiting on Joshua Slocum's sequel book on his voyage down to the Caribbean.... I wonder how it will end?
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:40   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm still waiting on Joshua Slocum's sequel book on his voyage down to the Caribbean.... I wonder how it will end?
Some say he sailed to an adjacent bay where he beached and burned Spray. He settled down in a hut overlooking the bay. There is a book (possibly available s/h from Amazon) where one can read about it.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:50   #244
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

A friend sailed with John and Amanda Neal. Apparently they put a paying crew member ashore for not informing John of a vessel on the horizon.
That's a bit steep, but if it was communicated to the crew in standing orders ,I view that as a serious breach.

In my case I modify the standing orders depending on who I sail with. Newbies get explicit orders to wake me for course changes , sail changes and vessels approaching ( vessels on the horizons , would have me up all night in certain places )

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:01   #245
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'll tell you it ain't blue. Our autopilot came with a blue halo around the course knob. I have never experienced eye pain like that thing created in the middle of the night!!
It is not the color, it is the intensity that matters. The whole red light thing was disproved a while ago. The only reason red "seems" to work is because it is almost always a very low intensity. The human eye is most sensitive to the green/yellow part of the spectrum, so a low intensity green light would probably be best. White light is always best if one needs to see colors on things (try reading red markings or letters on a chart under red light).

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:15   #246
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,618
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The only reason red "seems" to work is because it is almost always a very low intensity. White light is always best if one needs to see colors on things (try reading red markings or letters on a chart under red light).

Mark
No it works because the rods used for scotopic vision are insensitive to red. You can therefore see detail with your retinal cones in red light illumination leaving your rods unaffected and still ready to use.

If you use anything other than red you bleach out your rods if it is bright enough to read even large letters or figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
White light is always best if one needs to see colors on things (try reading red markings or letters on a chart under red light).

Mark
+1. Sometimes its worth sacrificing some your dark adaptation to see colour, or see detail easily ( dull red is difficult and unpleasant to use), but it is a shame if you are only making a coffee or quickly checking a compass bearing.
__________________
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:22   #247
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

I simply turn off/cover all lights. Can't see why others can't (?)

The only light that is most of the time on will be our compass lamp - very dim, very red and this one too switched of if the night is starry.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:33   #248
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,618
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I simply turn off/cover all lights. Can't see why others can't (?)

The only light that is most of the time on will be our compass lamp - very dim, very red and this one too switched of if the night is starry.

b.
+1
Everyone should try this. You will be amazed how much more detail you can see after 1/2 hour.
There are other times when the radar, AIS and chartplotter are invaluable and its worth reducing your dark adaptation to use these devices.

At least have the ability to change to maximium night vision mode when its warranted.
Its great if you can set up your boat so you can still get basic information like depth, heading, STW, SOG waypoint information etc with no, or minimal effect on night vision.
Few boats achieve these basic goals.
__________________
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:56   #249
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

At least have the ability to change to maximium night vision mode when its warranted.
Its great if you can set up your boat so you can still get basic information like depth, heading, STW, SOG waypoint information etc with no, or minimal effect on night vision.
Few boats achieve these basic goals.
Which is why I like analog needle type gauges and hate the modern graphic equivalent

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:09   #250
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That's a bit steep, but if it was communicated to the crew in standing orders ,I view that as a serious breach.

In my case I modify the standing orders depending on who I sail with. Newbies get explicit orders to wake me for course changes , sail changes and vessels approaching ( vessels on the horizons , would have me up all night in certain places )

Dave
Out curiosity, how many have standing orders? I have one set for my around Vancouver Island and another set for ocean. I have everyone read and initial and they are in the front of the deck log. They have been modified over time based on "experience." For example, a course change must be preceded by a 360 degree horizon sweep and a radar check. One crew gybed when a freighter was close to overtaking them.

I have them because I am usually sailing with folks I do not know and I am usually doing instruction as well.

I tell my crews that I will sleep better knowing that they will wake if needed.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:13   #251
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Out curiosity, how many have standing orders? I have one set for my around Vancouver Island and another set for ocean. I have everyone read and initial and they are in the front of the deck log. They have been modified over time based on "experience." For example, a course change must be preceded by a 360 degree horizon sweep and a radar check. One crew gybed when a freighter was close to overtaking them.

I have them because I am usually sailing with folks I do not know and I am usually doing instruction as well.

I tell my crews that I will sleep better knowing that they will wake if needed.
I have standing orders on a page that post at the nav table . I have night orders that I write at the top of the log page.

But primarily I emphasise calling me if in doubt and the presence of traffic. Very few things can kill the boat instantly like a 50,000 tanker !

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:19   #252
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I simply turn off/cover all lights. Can't see why others can't (?)

The only light that is most of the time on will be our compass lamp - very dim, very red and this one too switched of if the night is starry.

b.
All lights? Including your masthead running light?

Seriously, even the masthead light casts enough light to potential affect night vision. Especially the stern white light.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:36   #253
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,761
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

masthead running light??? aint got one. mine are 10 ft off water and outward. safe and visible by all. they also add a little light to the sails so is more visible.
accommodation for night vision varies from individual to individual
there is a lot to do in darkness---even without capability of reading books or listening to music--the music of the ocean and the stars and life in seas--they keep you occupied, along with sail trim, navigation, and sifting ambient weird lights from distances unknown....
and, when nothing is around ---horizon checks for wayward fishing boats and ships of any sort.
and drift nets.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:01   #254
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
No it works because the rods used for scotopic vision are insensitive to red. You can therefore see detail with your retinal cones in red light illumination leaving your rods unaffected and still ready to use.

If you use anything other than red you bleach out your rods if it is bright enough to read even large letters or figures.


+1. Sometimes its worth sacrificing some your dark adaptation to see colour, or see detail easily ( dull red is difficult and unpleasant to use), but it is a shame if you are only making a coffee or quickly checking a compass bearing.
Night Vision - The Red Myth

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf (summary on first page)

What is the purpose of blue lights used in a submarine

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:03   #255
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Out curiosity, how many have standing orders?
If I gave standing orders to my crew, I would no longer be standing. I do, however, obey any orders she gives me...

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.