Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2011, 10:08   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
mine is also as cruising crew-- i had 3 tease and one --former sailpartner--- he flaked for medical reasons-- and the 3 tease were in contact with me for over a month before deciding they were not going to disrupt their lives to go sailing. is all good---is their lives--legs of an adventure are challenging to fill. but will happen at some point..

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 11:01   #17

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Thanks for the additional thoughts folks. Small boat, so booking in excess is not easily done at present. This has never been a problem for me with returning crew/guests, just first timers. It never seems to be about affordability. If anything it's more about the lack of a financial commitment. With nothing vested, it's easy for something else to become the new priority and/or "commit" to something one is not really committed to in the first places, since the commitment costs nothing. I'd like to have a way of potential crew to have to put down some earnest money so I know they are committed, but at the same time, I can understand why someone who has never sailed with me would be reluctant to do that.

You and I are truly in the "same boat". I can afford to bring people on vacations with me, and did for a while. Since I mostly travel with relatives, the “no shows” were causing family issues and nearly ruined a special family vacation. I finally had enough and started making people who wanted to join me either send me the money for their trip or book it themselves. I haven't had anyone “no show” on me since, but I've had a few back out when it came time to put the money where their mouth was.

I hate to see a family member get left out of a family vacation, but I can honestly say I gave it my best to get their rear ends with us. I miss not having them on the trip, but I no longer feel a bit of guilt and my vacation isn’t ruined.

I do the same thing for this boat and our sail/camp vacations and plan to do the same thing for the big boat we will be cruising in.

In any case, I would think they would already be comfortable with you and your abilities before they commit. They way I look at you are providing them with a wonderful vacation and if they can't put some refundable ernst money up to reserve a spot, then I personally wouldn't count on them. You sound like a really nice person and perhaps that is part of the problem.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 11:45   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

I still think the beer fund is the way to go, non-refundable Or simply for a last night meal ashore (so you can make arrangements in advance).

No reason not to be upfront with folks by telling them that it is simply about obtaining a firm commitment that you can plan around (for own benefit and for the other crew / guests). For first timers can explain that all the crew chip in the same (you included) for the beer / meal ashore so they are not being singled out - how much in advance that other crew chip in is another thing

No guarantee that they will arrive after chipping in only $20 or $50 (my bet is that most will) - but at least your dissapointed can be tempered by a couple of rounds from "absent freinds"
Old 14-01-2011, 15:44   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
David, I think that may be the plan. If I've chartered with friends, they've offered to pay their share ahead of time. I see no reason why a private boat should be different, even if it's just a beer fund, and a few extra Kaliks for me if they don't show is at least something.
Old 14-01-2011, 15:56   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I agree with Bash. Treat your helpers as guests/volunteers rather than paying passengers/workers. Don't look at them as a source of revenue to fund your pleasures. If you need them, then pay their way, leastwise their food and "rum ration."

Even then your task isn't easy because, as has been said before, the world doesn't revolve around you unless you have a busload of hangers-on.
Old 15-01-2011, 13:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I agree with Bash. Treat your helpers as guests/volunteers rather than paying passengers/workers. Don't look at them as a source of revenue to fund your pleasures. If you need them, then pay their way, leastwise their food and "rum ration."

Even then your task isn't easy because, as has been said before, the world doesn't revolve around you unless you have a busload of hangers-on.
I look at them as guests, not as paying passengers/workers. I've never made any profit from anyone who has joined me and don't plan to.

Tags
crew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: