Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 16:23   #91
cruiser

Re: Just How Big is Too Big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Romberg View Post
Seems to me there's no hard limit as long as everything works. If there are just two of you, don't allow yourselves to get in this situation:
Actually, I'm impressed with the captain's ability to shoehorn his boat into the berth. He did everything correct, one or two passes to see the space & check the wind and test how his vessel was reacting to it; then didn't commit until he was sure he had everything under complete control.

Those two fellows may look like they're pushing off the other vessel, but there's no way they're making any difference at all with a yacht that size and weight. The fenders and thrusters are doing all the work.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 17:14   #92
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It seems to me that a majority are saying that there are many feet between big enough and too big. I'm one on that list!
I agree. The biggest is simply the one YOU are comfortable with. Nothing else matters.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 19:09   #93
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Now that's funny.

Your vacation seems to have improved your sense of humor

No, Dockhead. I have always been a very funny person. I just don't laugh at bullying. Most of the time, when someone says "Oh lighten up," they mean "I want you to just let me bully you." That's the truth. I taught many children how to handle bullying over the years, and I know it when I see it.

My blog is funny, too. You can't fake funny. But people can block it out.

That wasn't funny, but I thought my rail crack (pardon the pun!) was better than average.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 19:15   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Actually, I'm impressed with the captain's ability to shoehorn his boat into the berth. He did everything correct, one or two passes to see the space & check the wind and test how his vessel was reacting to it; then didn't commit until he was sure he had everything under complete control.

Those two fellows may look like they're pushing off the other vessel, but there's no way they're making any difference at all with a yacht that size and weight. The fenders and thrusters are doing all the work.

You must be from Newport Beach-I Witnessed many {Yacht Captains} do the same thing over and over.

While, I having a clue would go into the force(whether it be, current or wind)(There's no current in Newport) and have much more control. You should try it sometime.
When you get off the power, guess what happens? It stops, rather than keep going.
Anybody that starts on the high side is a (yacht captain), that's not a compliment from real working captains.

Just try going into the forces that are working against you with your most controllable area(your stern) and see what happens. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I used to operate a 190ft boat with no bow thruster, and had to move frequently in places like Venice, LA. so that other boats could get out.

That's a whole nother story, about walking a boat without a bow thruster. But I'm sure all you yacht captains already know how to do that.(A clue-I tried it on a 70fter and a 65fter, couldn't do it) Not heavy enough.

Pivoting is not walking!!!

Love to hear from all you captains.
Old 20-04-2013, 19:24   #95

I forgot to add that I have never used a bow thruster.

Actually that captain did OK considering the current, but he also had a bow thruster. Huge difference.!!!

I think he would of been better off going the other direction. Just my opinion, for anyone that wants to learn!!!!