Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 18:04   #1

Boat: Seafarer 26
Unhappy Just got my CT registration . . .

Its that time of year again and i have just gotten my first harbinger of Spring . . Boat registration.

According to Connecticut DMV what used to be listed under the "Make" box as a "Seafarer", i now have a "boat" and a listed "vessel type" as "cabin motorboat" instead of "cab". At least the $97.50 will help to defray the 200-900 mil that Connecticut is in the red this year.

Oh yeah, for those of you also in CT who have documented vessels, you'll now get to enjoy this too! "The state now requires all vessels to have a Connecticut number. The new requirement also covers all U.S. documented vessels." the notice above was included in my registration packet but there was no mention of associated costs.

PuppyFeet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:22   #2

Re: Just got my CT registration . . .

I believe a state can not require to put number stickers on your hull if the boat is documented. For many years now in Ct we have "registered" the boat the same as undocumented boats but we do not put numbers on the hull, just the sticker which is a different color.. We pay the same amount either way. Please post the exact wording if your renewal states differently.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 19:07   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

The note doesn't say anything about having to post the number they assign anywhere, or keep track of it. (I got one too.) It looks like they simply want to have a way of tracking things within THEIR system. The CT DMV got a new computer system, which has been fouling up car registrations already; the Commissioner resigned last month. The federal documentation number may not fit into the format they have to use and so perhaps to fix it they figured it was easier to simply assign a new number to each boat than try to reprogram the whole setup.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 20:30   #4

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Yes, the CT number for documented vessels is just for their computer system.

For documented vessels there is also two notices. One at the top of the page under "Important Notice" after a note that says "Make sure you pay all local property taxes due and fulfill any requirements listed below."

The "requirement listed below" is stated as "Letter Coast Guard Auxillary".

Down at the bottom of the page, there is a notice stating "The following issues must be resolved before you renew:" Then "Document(s) Required."

No other explination about either of these cryptic items. I called the DMV as soon as I got the notice and eventually got through to a very nice lady who said that those two notices, along with the CT number assigned, were all just part of their new computer system. Just send in your registration fee with the stub and you will get your new registration and sticker. She said your US documentation number will be listed on your registration, not the assigned CT number (not that it matters to me what number they put on my registration, it's their document).

She did say that I should send the renewal stub and fee to the address listed on the renewal stub at the bottom of the page: 60 State St. Weathersfield, for me. Do not send it to the location on the pre-printed envelope, so use your own envelop and write out the address that is on the renewal stub. She said it would take longer if you sent it to the address on the pre-printed envelope.

I half expect this will not work and I'll get my registration rejected because I didn't send them "Letter Coast Guard Auxillary". I doubt Coast Guard Auxillary knows anything about this.

We'll see I suppose.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 21:20   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473
Just got my CT registration . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Yes, the CT number for documented vessels is just for their computer system.

For documented vessels there is also two notices. One at the top of the page under "Important Notice" after a note that says "Make sure you pay all local property taxes due and fulfill any requirements listed below."

No, no property tax on boats in CT. They just use the same form as the land vehicles.

I've been waiting for my CT renewal. Glad to hear they're just hitting boxes. I was afraid ours might have been lost.

USCG Documented need not display the CT registration number as long as the documented name and hailing port is clearly marked. The expiration stickers do need to be displayed on either side of the vessel. Mast, bow roller, top sides, whatever.

-Bill
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:28   #6

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Connecticut, I think that in the native language it means, big taxation on everything, (Including your jock strap), with the bare minimum of representation! That's why I got out in 86.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 15:17   #7

My renewal came today with the notice regarding "Certificate of Decal". Our Documentation number is not referenced on the renewal which has me a bit concerned. Is this the same for you other Nutmeggers?

-Bill
Old 19-03-2016, 16:16   #8

Boat: Formosa 41

Got a letter from our CT yacht club that CT DMV changed to a new computer system and a first batch of renewal registrations contained errors, among them the notice that documented vessels would have numbers.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 16:29   #9

Well, it's been over a month and I have not yet received my registration, nor do I have any evidence that my check has been cashed.

Any CT'ers received your stickers yet? Particularly documented CT'ers?

-Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 18-04-2016, 16:46   #10

Boat: Catalina

Got mine last week

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ctsunsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 19:09   #11

I got mine last week. That was after getting a "rejection" letter stating it was rejected for the following reasons. (that part was blank- no reason given.) After being on hold on the DMV help line The person called up a copy of my rejection
letter and said he would have to turn it over to his supervisor. Two weeks later week I was thinking I was going to have to get on the phone for another hour plus when it showed up in the mail.--Tim (yes I have documented boat)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 12:45   #12

The big boat reg came about three weeks ago and turned around about a week after payment. The dinghy came last week and we sent it right out, not back as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-04-2016, 07:21   #13

Finally got mine Saturday. A little slow but everything seems fine otherwise.
Downeaster 38 #40

Tags
registration