Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2003, 01:40   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Talking Just a small proud moment in sailing

I just spent the last three days out in the Puget Sound and had a moment of pride I wanted to share.

Sunday morning we were anchored out next to a small marina in the South end of Port Townsend Bay waiting for the tide to ebb so we could get under the bridge that goes to Indian Is.

As we pulled out we were followed up by a couple of small trawlers. For about a 3/4 of an hour we were all doing about 6 to 6.5 knots on a glassy bay heading towards Edmonds with the trawlers close behind.

The wind started to pick up a bit and I decided to set the sails and headed into the wind. While doing so the trawlers passed me by. The sails were up and the wind allowed me to maintain the original heading on a close reach. Then the wind picked up a little more and I noticed I was gaining on the trawlers. Within 15 minutes I was sliding right by them at around 8.5 knots showing a little of my bottom side.

Looking over at the trawlers I could see some thumbs up and smiles as I went by. It gives you a bit of a warm heart the see the power boaters recognize your capabilities.

But the glory didn't last long. With a 7 foot draft, I had to tack due to a shoal coming up. But a fine day of sailing it was............................................... ..._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote