Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2013, 22:56   #1

Boat: Adams 28
Joe Adams 28 - sail plan

I have a Joe Adams 28 built by South Seas Yachts in Tonga in 1989. I would appreciate comments on the use and trim of the staysail. Joe Adams designed the 28 with a cutter rig for long distance cruising and as a sloop for inshore sailing. With the help of a professional rigger I have installed a quick release fitting at the deck attachment of the inner forestay and retained the running backstays. I use the yacht for weekend cruising and an annual summer cruise. It is very unusual for me to be on the same tack for more than an hour or so, let alone all day hence I use her as a sloop and use the roller furling genoa. Although a cruiser I am interested in sail trim and would like comments on when it would be advantageous to use the inner forestay and set the staysail and also advice on trimming. The slot between the inner and outer forestay seems very narrow to set the sails efficiently, but Joe Adams was a very accomplished designer and he would not have done this without good reason ... Or is the staysail only intended to be used on its own in stronger winds, perhaps to improve balance?

EstherMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06   #2

Re: Joe Adams 28 - sail plan

Don't know the 28, I have an Adams 36 with a staysail rig.
Joe Adams designed these boats to use a staysail and a small high cut jib, about a 90%.
I also have some racing jibs, there is no effective slot when they are set.
It's a good rig for short handed cruising, but you probably want a removable inner forestay if you want to race or set larger jibs.

olaf hart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, EstherMay.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

At the risk of "teachjing grandma how to suck eggs":
Assuming you have a larger genoa on a furler on your forestay and a small jib / staysail that can hank on to your (detachable) inner forestay

In general, any furling sail becomes progressively more poorly shaped as it is furled. General consensus is that you can only furl in about 20-25% of a furling sail before it becomes functionally useless if you are trying to point (of course it may still be ok for reaching and running). Also, even though you can furl the genoa in further that 25% and still reach or run, the sail is probably made of a lighter cloth than the jib and exposing it to very high winds will likely strewtch it and shorten its useful life, whereas the jib / staysail will be made of a heavier cloth and better withstand high winds.

One other point: in very strong winds you will tend to reef the main, which moves the centre of effort of the mainsail forward. If you also furl in headsail, this moves the centre of effort of the headsail forward, making for an unbalanced sailplan (possibly with lee helm). If you fly a staysail instead of a partly furled headsail (and furl the headsail in completely), you move the centre of effort back to balance the reefed main, for a much more balanced sailplan and probably less helm issues.

So, carry your genoa in light winds.
In moderate winds either furl in a bit of your headsail or furl it all in and use the staysail (do the latter particularly if you want to be able to point to windward)
In heavy winds furl the headsail in and just use the headsail
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: