Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiava-Sailing Anarchy podcast

Not trying to beat this dead horse but Sailing Anarchy did a podcast with them that was pretty good. They did a good job of trying to get the real story out of Jennifer and better answer some of the absurd comments/statements these girls made. Give it a listen if you have the interest and time. Best interview with them so far.

https://sailinganarchy.com/2017/12/0...irls-one-mess/

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:16   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiava-Sailing Anarchy podcast

Thanks for the link flee! I listened to the whole thing, and I have no attention span. I won't give an opinion on the interview, but it plays out the way I imagined it would.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:41   #3

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I agree. For me it removed the ideas of it being a scam or having ulterior motives. It really just appears to be a case of bad planning, lack of experience and bad judgment. Plus a little crazy mixed in... All right a lot of crazy...

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Proves you can be fairly smart and still be nutty. Kudos on her cojones, if one is still allowed to say that.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:15   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
I agree. For me it removed the ideas of it being a scam or having ulterior motives. It really just appears to be a case of bad planning, lack of experience and bad judgment. Plus a little crazy mixed in... All right a lot of crazy...r
Good summary. There's 2:28:45 of my life I'll never get back!

One thing I'd like to add, and it hit me pretty early before I started getting into what a character that Jennifer is, is that she's taken almost no responsibility for anything. The rigging guy's fault. The fishermen's fault. The Navy's fault. The media's fault. They misunderstood her when she called on the radio. The list goes on.

When pressed about some of the more absurd aspects of her story, she resisted even the interviewer's patient explanations as to why she might have been reasonably mistaken. She'd tentatively agree only when she had no other choice. Then later, she'd jump back to it and try to re-assert some doubt about the reasonable explanation she'd just agreed to. She just couldn't seem to bring herself to fully admit she was wrong. About anything.

I do feel I understand her better now. I can't say I dislike her. But I also can't say she's the kind of person I'd like to spend much time with, on a whole bunch of different levels. But the world needs all kinds of people. No doubt she's filling a necessary niche in the fabric of our society. I still hope no-one contributes to her GoFundMe page, but overall I wish her well.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:27   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Thanks for the horrible warning.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 15:13   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think I'd rather just watch cartoons and avoid trying to understand the revelance of dingbats
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 15:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just when we thought it had died a natural internet death . Are you sure its not a zombie thread?
Old 08-12-2017, 15:35   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Good summary. There's 2:28:45 of my life I'll never get back!

One thing I'd like to add, and it hit me pretty early before I started getting into what a character that Jennifer is, is that she's taken almost no responsibility for anything. The rigging guy's fault. The fishermen's fault. The Navy's fault. The media's fault. They misunderstood her when she called on the radio. The list goes on.

When pressed about some of the more absurd aspects of her story, she resisted even the interviewer's patient explanations as to why she might have been reasonably mistaken. She'd tentatively agree only when she had no other choice. Then later, she'd jump back to it and try to re-assert some doubt about the reasonable explanation she'd just agreed to. She just couldn't seem to bring herself to fully admit she was wrong. About anything.

I do feel I understand her better now. I can't say I dislike her. But I also can't say she's the kind of person I'd like to spend much time with, on a whole bunch of different levels. But the world needs all kinds of people. No doubt she's filling a necessary niche in the fabric of our society. I still hope no-one contributes to her GoFundMe page, but overall I wish her well.
Listened to part couldn't get through it.....
Yes she does fill a niche.........one Darwin tried really hard to remove.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 16:25   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Listened to part couldn't get through it.....
Yes she does fill a niche.........one Darwin tried really hard to remove.....
Well...he defined the process at least...these two somehow managed not to make themselves eligible for a Darwin Award because they could, Darwin forbid, still contribute to the gene pool.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45   #11

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think I'd rather just watch cartoons and avoid trying to understand the revelance of dingbats
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:17   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

I listened to it, or rather I attempted to listen to it. She has some obvious cognitive issue (allegedly due to a motorcycle accident during her racing days) that makes for an almost complete inability to not wander off mid-sentence into an entirely different subject. She's never going to be able to produce a coherent narrative about what happened. She's simply not capable of it. That makes this a dead letter story as far as I'm concerned with the only conclusion to be drawn from it being that she was ill prepared for the entire undertaking.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:28   #13

Unlike most people posting, I have actually met Ms Appel in Ala Wai Harbor in Honolulu.

Here is what I wrote in my blog at the time...

Quote:
And finally for today is the story of our new neighbor. A few days ago a new boat was making its way into the harbor, and coming in to tie up. Our immediate neighbor, being alert and ready and in general a helpful young man, jumped up onto the dock to catch lines and help them in. He was in for a bit of a surprise.

The boat was being single handed by an athletic woman maybe in her mid forties. Nothing too surprising yet, except she was, as our British friends might say, totally starkers. Yep. Not even a pair of sandals on her feet. Without a stitch on she tied up her boat and settled it into its spot on the dock.

That was her usual mode of dress in the marina...

billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44   #14

Boat: Pearson 34-II

" She just couldn't seem to bring herself to fully admit she was wrong. About anything." Capt. Tom

Just another "Don't Blame Me" citizen in the Y2K. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 11-12-2017, 00:45   #15

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
But the world needs all kinds of people. No doubt she's filling a necessary niche in the fabric of our society.
No doubt, really? Possibly as an example of how not to conduct oneself, if we need that.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, sail, sailing