Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 14:38   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Jacklines - how to?

Be aware that the standard 1" webbing dues not really have sufficient breaking strain. The proper safety lines have significantly greater breaking strain

Dave
Old 18-07-2014, 17:29   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Something else to consider - the singlehanded Transpac and I believe other offshore Pacific races require jack lines and fittings be 5000 # breaking strength.
Petty correction...the requirement is 20 kN or 4,500 lb.

"Jacklines, 5mm (3/16") uncoated wire or webbing with 2,040 kgf (4,500 lb) breaking strength."

That kind of force will probably break your back. The greater worry is going overboard and getting dragged at 6-8 knots or more. The best configuration is one that prevents you from ever going past the lifelines. Short and long double harness will allow you to clip in close to your working area and hopefully prevent you from ever being unclipped when going from one place (like a U bolt in the cockpit) to another (such as the jacklines to the foredeck).
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 11:47   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuettell View Post
Hi John,

I have a P424 also and am interested in how you attached on centerline and how you attached to that line when exiting. Any thoughts on tensioning?

Dave
You've picked up on a very old thread (2006) so the poster may not respond.

I use old stainless rigging for jacklines but a lot of folks don't like that. I also rig one centerline from mast to bow. I put the jacklines aft of the mast from cockpit to mast as close to the center as possible.

I use the jacklines to maintain balance and to not go over. I'm at the age that I know if I go over the side and will be dragged I'll never make it. I want to stay on the boat inboard of the lifelines. Get a tether that is made up to clip and unclip without ever being unsecure. It has to have two clips, one close to your harness.

I don't like webbing because it stretches when wet. In my point of view if its loose enough to allow you to go over the lifelines it is worthless.

Jacklines don't need to stretch the full length of your boat if you can clip and unclip easily and quickly.

I hope this helps you a bit.
Old 20-07-2014, 03:48   #19

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I use the jacklines to maintain balance and to not go over. I'm at the age that I know if I go over the side and will be dragged I'll never make it.

A French sailor came up with another idea for self rescue. His system does look quite interesting:

https://sites.google.com/site/design...ble-tether-eng

This was thought up by a guy who sailed singlehandedly from France to Antarctica in an RM 1050.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 10:10   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

That is really creative. Looks like a great product.

Anybody here have experience with it?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 13:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
A French sailor came up with another idea for self rescue. His system does look quite interesting:

This was thought up by a guy who sailed singlehandedly from France to Antarctica in an RM 1050.
That would really help if you are conscious and have your legs and arms working right.
Old 20-07-2014, 14:15   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

Has anyone put any thought into rigging your jacklines into your steering? Rigged in a way to cause the boat to go hard over when there is a serious pull on the jackline, like going ovbd. Rigged to a windvane would be easy, maybe or to a windvane clutch on your steering wheel maybe.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 00:50   #23

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
That would really help if you are conscious and have your legs and arms working right.
Sure. But to me the appeal of this system is that it a) doesn't interfere with practices I already employ (as it's just a tether), but b) does look like it would increase my chances if I go overboard...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Sure. But to me the appeal of this system is that it a) doesn't interfere with practices I already employ (as it's just a tether), but b) does look like it would increase my chances if I go overboard...
I agree that it would be helpful. It seems like a good system and might give you a fighting chance.
Old 22-07-2014, 11:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Has anyone put any thought into rigging your jacklines into your steering? Rigged in a way to cause the boat to go hard over when there is a serious pull on the jackline, like going ovbd. Rigged to a windvane would be easy, maybe or to a windvane clutch on your steering wheel maybe.
I think most folks have windvane trip systems tied into tethers. I know I did when I was sailing shorthanded back in the 80s.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:00   #26

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Another thing one can do is run a line over the side, tied in a catenary stem to stern half way down both sides of the hull. This gives you some purchase to stand up and regain the deck if over you go. We used to due this in the Alaska fishing industry, and it was quite common on singlehanded and short handed fishing boats. Even a knotted rope hanging from a stanchion gives leverage to swing up out of the water. Although I don't know of any 'studies' to test effectiveness, it seems well worth doing.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 15:13   #27

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I think most folks have windvane trip systems tied into tethers. I know I did when I was sailing shorthanded back in the 80s.
I've never heard from someone who has actually done this. How did you rig your tether and trip line? How do you go fwd?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 15:47   #28

Boat: s/v Urraco S&S Swan 37 (copy)

I like the external 'bow to stern' catenary jackline idea. If you go over the side and get hung up on your tether unable go anywhere, you could cut yourself free and work your way down the catenary to the stern and climb up from there. Obvious assumptions are: that you have a tether cutter with you when you go over, that you maybe have a way of clipping on to the catenary (if not then hand over hand might be possible), and that when you get to the stern there are steps or a pull down ladder or even a knotted rope to climb up!
Allan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 17:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I've never heard from someone who has actually done this. How did you rig your tether and trip line? How do you go fwd?
The windvane I had at the time was an RVG. It had a clutch lever. If the lever was released the sail on the windvane would no longer drive the independent rudder and the boat would round up. When above decks at night we'd just attach a trip line to the lever and tie it to our tether. I did not test the system by going overboard but just tugging on the line tripped the clutch and the boat would head up sooner or later depending on point of sail.

Each vane is different and each boat is different. Each system has to be designed for vane and boat.

I would suggest that you start a new thread like "Windvane Tether Trip Line" or some such title. You'll get more than me responding it if you do.
Old 23-11-2015, 11:49   #30

Boat: Freedom 32

May I suggest that 99% of any pleasure sailboats connection points are not strong enough to safely secure a jackline. Start from scratch no matter what your plan.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines