Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2008, 01:00   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Jack Long- The Official Record

Team,

Okay, the task list is shrinking. Well, mostly because I am moving things into the "to do later" list but I prefer to consider this "out of the box thinking" rather than "not getting things done". I like to think that while I cannot shop at sea- I can wire, splice, tap, screw, and curse. So the only thing I need to do before I leave is buy stuff!

Anyway, still shooting for a Saturday departure. An early afternoon launch will let me ride the tide out of the bay and into the rolling blue yonder. Who wants to bet I leave Sunday afternoon instead?

So, before I go out of contact for a while I wanted to give myself a little PR. As you all know there are middle aged guys posting on Internet forums on a regular basis talking about checking out of the rat race and going sailing. I've only been monitoring these communities for a year or so (less than that here but only because it took a while to find the best sites!) but I am the first one I've seen actually do it. Or at least do it in a timely fashion. I either did a great job on my schedule or will be lost at sea and prove that I went too fast...

Oh! I had a point. Like so many before me I prepared a website to write about the various adventures. The site, like most of my posts to date, is pretty rough. I've had very little time to reflect and write as my go-date barreled down on me like a runaway train. The writing will get better- I promise. Meanwhile, the address is TheJacksonLongProject and I invite you to check it out. I recommend you start by looking at the About page (link is on the right under the archive links) because it gives a neat one page snapshop of my meta objectives. Basically it frames the whole thing.

I will have a little time over the next couple of days but then there will be radio silence until I am in Cabo. I could not have done it without the advice and help on this forum. Thank you all.

Sincerly,
Jack
Old 15-10-2008, 01:24   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Nice web site Jack. Good luck with your adventure. Have fun man.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 04:47   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good on ya, Jack! It's been fun following your progress (which has been admirable, by the way). Check in when you can, and keep us posted.
Old 15-10-2008, 05:02   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Ditto, Jack. I am envious in the EXTREME - or put another way, I have 11 months to go before my (I hope permanent) departure to parts south and I can't imagine how I'll get everything done! Will be following your adventures.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 06:40   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Seems like a bit of a rush, but it always seems that way. I would give myself a couple of days to leave after the party. That way your head is clear, and you're not tired.

Don't let a schedule force you to leave a safe harbor in bad weather. One hand for the ship, and one hand for yourself.....as always BEST WISHES........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 13:22   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
My goals become mundane. I started gaining weight. I stopped doing things I enjoyed. I couldnʼt sleep. I started getting sick all the time. My performance at work suffered. I woke up one day and realized I had bottomed out. I was middle aged, over weight, broke, and desperately unhappy. Nothing I was doing brought me any satisfaction and something had to change.
Jack you said it all on your web site.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 13:37   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Just go, mate, as soon as you can

The moment you head out all your cares will drop astern and you will sniff the wind and the waves.

The only hassels we ever have is when we are in port! Get outta port!

All the best

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 14:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would give myself a couple of days to leave after the party.
It's never a bad idea to have a good party before you leave town. You can go where you mean to or where you end up and still be where you are. When it's all the same you know you have arrived. Keep us posted of your trip and maybe send a picture or two. It's nice to hang up your portrait in the gallery and speak well of you after you are gone. It's as good as it gets.

Be well!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 16:21   #9

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Jack:
It's been interesting watching your "learning curve" (and making notes of what not to do :-) and more so of your sail south. Fair winds, have fun, be safe.
John
Old 15-10-2008, 20:02   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 22:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Jack - We've watched you prepare and you have really absorbed everything people have advised you. You (rightfully) did not accept all the advice and I get a sense you have become a decent decision maker and that is a very important trait IMO.

I think having a date to drop lines has been good for you so that you don't procrastinate and get stuck to the dock. As some have said - the average cruiser may never feel they have prepared enough.

The only thing is don't compromise safety, have back up plans for critical tasks and once you do reach your last "milestone" of shore life (tossing the lines) in about 48 hours or so, you can dial back the urgency and not have to sail to deadlines.

First Mate Ken - Sounds like a great friend and in the beginning of your journey a second set of eyes, and hands will be good to have along.

BTW - I loved the post about the pee cup and the pizza box - eeeeyyyeeeewwwww!

Funny stuff...

Keep a log and update us at your ports of call.

Fair Winds
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 22:33   #12

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Thanks guys.

The degree of messing with one another that goes on between Ken and I is... recockulous. If some tragedy strikes us on our way to San Diego the forensics teams will undoubtedly discover the underlying cause was hysterical laughter.

My last errands other than a final grocery store and fuel run are tomorrow. While I am out I will get:

My new alternator (see other post), either my sewing machine or 600feet of rope- not sure which package they tried to deliver today, the last of the fishing gear (traps, gaff, spear stuff), thread for the sunbrella and sails, an Engel 45 fridge (man I wanted the 60 combi but NOBODY has them in store and I waited too long to get one delivered), thermostat, zincs, spinnaker pole lock repair kit, two more anchors, a strobe light, charts of Mexico, a manual bilge pump, a battery monitor, and my curtains. If I am lucky I can pickup the davits from the machine shop but that might not be done until Friday.

Anyway, thanks again all! I need to grab some rest but want to make an alternator post and write a blog thing.
Old 16-10-2008, 10:02   #13

Boat: Custom 47' sloop
Hi Jack,

I notice in your last post that you are including traps in your fishing gear. You may want to check on the Mexican regulations, I have been told that traps are illegal in Mexico and just having them on board can cause all kinds of problems with authorities if they check your boat.

Good luck with everything, we'll be following your wake next year and watching your blog in the meantime.

Wayne
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 10:09   #14

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
"My goals become mundane. I started gaining weight. I stopped doing things I enjoyed. I couldnʼt sleep. I started getting sick all the time. My performance at work suffered. I woke up one day and realized I had bottomed out. I was middle aged, over weight, broke, and desperately unhappy. Nothing I was doing brought me any satisfaction and something had to change."

Sounds like my own mid-life crisis back in '99. So I built a custom BMW motorcycle (1st place show winner) and rode it to Sturgis, SD. The Baha ha ha should last longer :-)
Old 16-10-2008, 16:07   #15

Good luck!
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote