Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 22:33   #46

Re: I've gone and done it now

Congrats! Great boats!
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 05:11   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

8 AM the first Saturday after closing....

If you're not actively writing a list... On the boat... or shopping for boat stuff... Imma seriously be disappointed...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:20   #48

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: I've gone and done it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
He said from Daytona Beach to Panama City by water correct? And he has rented a captain for a 10 day voyage. I don't think the mast will make it through the big lake. And you guys think they are going to be harbor hopping?
Leave the wife at home- she is not going to like this. You are going to get really sweaty and messy before this thing is over, and the captain will probably be smoking something to try and stay up by the end.
Put the dingy on the fore deck or the lazarettes and forget about it unless you are sinking.
Hope for a tail wind or at least a reach. I seem to remember that Island Packets love a reach.
Prepare for a sail like nobody's business.
Yep, forget the champagne and outfitting and just get the boat home. Without the Admiral is best in most cases, your Admiral may vary. Give her a face-saving way out. You are entering very dangerous waters here with the wife...

The value of clean fuel tanks cannot be overstated. Congrats.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:29   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yep, forget the champagne and outfitting and just get the boat home. Without the Admiral is best in most cases, your Admiral may vary. Give her a face-saving way out. You are entering very dangerous waters here with the wife...

+100

And the previous mention of serviceable head and potable water systems... and did I mention plenty of towels... Admiral's first trip is a big first impression...

Old 29-03-2014, 10:19   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
You are entering very dangerous waters here with the wife...

and " Admiral's first trip is a big first impression.."

Believe me, it took 4 years for me to get my wife to love the boat after her sailing on it when it was rough. Save your self some grief- do the hard work with your professional, and let her on when all the survey stuff is done and you need to decide what soap to use...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 11:09   #51

TAKE THE DINK! and beg, borrow or steal a reliable outboard so that when the main engines packs up, you can raft the dink to the side and get enough speed for steerage to get into a marina or harbor. I dont know how long since the boat has been used, but the longer the period of inactivity, the more likelyhood of engine stoppage for any number of reasons. I tend to agree with the idea of leaving moma at home, or have her see you off for the voyage. Old boats are like old Fords,___Fix Or Repair Daily. It will be a great learning experience. Best of Luck. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 12:12   #52

Boat: PETERSON 44
I've gone and done it now

Definitely get the outboard. This gives you something to fuss over. You can get some seperation and sit in the dink yanking the cord or look real serious and say " honey I am working on the carburetor".it might even work and you can go exploring/ testing. Until the tiny jets foul again and you have to do this all over again.
My wife got wise to the outboard thing. So outboard can't come with us anymore. Thank god for the autopilot. Electrical corrosion on the VHF. Water leek in the engine room etc... Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 13:04   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Definitely get the outboard. This gives you something to fuss over. You can get some seperation and sit in the dink yanking the cord or look real serious and say " honey I am working on the carburetor".it might even work and you can go exploring/ testing. Until the tiny jets foul again and you have to do this all over again.
My wife got wise to the outboard thing. So outboard can't come with us anymore. Thank god for the autopilot. Electrical corrosion on the VHF. Water leek in the engine room etc... Enjoy

I always find it amazing that the guy who sits at the end of the bar ALWAYS has the "magic outboard carb clearing fluid"....

He's never there right when you need him... but if you hang around and have a beer or two... He will show up...

Old 29-03-2014, 13:16   #54

I've gone and done it now

He arrives right after the guy that has a nit shiatsu for sale and the guy next to him has a mercery that nit shiatsu built but is better. Then some smart ass says he has oars and they all move away.

Old 29-03-2014, 13:23   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
and " Admiral's first trip is a big first impression.."

Believe me, it took 4 years for me to get my wife to love the boat after her sailing on it when it was rough. Save your self some grief- do the hard work with your professional, and let her on when all the survey stuff is done and you need to decide what soap to use...
A64pilot:

I strongly recommend that you not take your good lady out and make her cold, wet, and terrified. That is not the best introduction to cruising.

Talk with her about coming on the delivery trip, because while there may be difficulties, I think she can learn a lot; and with the delivery captain's brain to pick, as well as yours, it could be a great experience for her. It will please her 20 yrs. down the road that she was along, helping, on the delivery trip.

Newt:

The second part of your post really caught my gender bias attention. Even an uninformed woman can be more use than merely to select soap. There is no reason to assume from anything he has written that A64Pilot's wife would not pitch in and help in any way she could. And sometimes another pair of hands can be quite useful.

Ann
Old 29-03-2014, 15:01   #56

Ann,
Talk about gender bias. She would be better informed and know she might get cold wet etc... Thinking that having a diluted perception on a first trip will make a sailor is bad practice. Just because she is she doesn't mean she can't comprehend what the boat may experience. I would encourage realistic discussion of weather and routing. Hopefully the couple are Learning together.
Probably she could be more then another set of hands. Are you just a set if hands. Does jim hide you away when the weather goes bad?

Old 29-03-2014, 16:27   #57

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Ok, I'm with Ann, why would a guy exclude his wife? Sheesh, the advice you get on here. The boat prior to the current one, I delivered the vessel home, solo (yes I AM FEMALE!), on a two day trip. The current boat we delivered together, from Maryland to RI. Great learning experience for both of us and gave us both a lot of confidence in handling the boat. Which translates into us being eager to take it out as much as possible.

I would recommend this item: Cleanwaste WAG BAG Waste Bags - Package of 12 at REI.com

If you have any issues with the toilet on the trip, you can use these bags right on the bowl. Since I discovered them, I always have some onboard. One less thing to worry about. I linked to REI because I know they sell the 12 pack at a decent price, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere. But do find them. A functioning head is really important! Even guys need one at least once a day...
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 02:00   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Why would a guy exclude his wife? Because machismo is in the way of reason, or possibly, he knows his wife will not like it till he's got the bugs out.

And yet, to me, part of this age old argument is about the way in which some men try to protect some women, and that their methods of choice may be a poor fit. It's not at all about what women can *handlle*, 'cause women are far stronger than generally given cretit for, but about how A64Pilot and his good lady work it out between themselves for this delivery trip. A big event in their lives. And I bet they're too busy to post for a while, too.

Good on 'em.

Fair winds, guys,

Ann
Old 30-03-2014, 03:28   #59

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: I've gone and done it now

Dunno.

As a friend o the working girl, I admire competent women. I have known many, and have been outsailed by most and outsmarted by all.

However, my guesstimate is that for every Ann T Cate, and Bethflkeys, and Zee, and Lassie, and Erika Raindog, and Sailorchic, and Gadagirl, and all you other seriously competent women out there, there are a zillion others whose principal occupation seems to be to make themselves attractive to men.

Most guys end up with ladies from the latter group by sheer numbers alone. A few of the girlier girls may become real sailors but many, many more are OK with being First Mate. Some even proudly wear the T shirt.
I'd be embarrassed to be seen with one of these women, personally.

Rounding out this appraisal are the women who tried boating and now either want no part of it or will possibly tolerate it on a nice day. This is why we are counseling A64pilot to proceed with caution. Mrs A64 (I cannot use the intimate term "Wifey" in a sober public discussion) may be as tough a gal as they come. A64 hasn't told us, so we must assume she's not. Our advice is obviously aimed at the long term goal of nurturing a real husband and wife boating team, that almost all men, and crabs, dream of having.

I tip my Tilley to the equal partner boating couples out there.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:57   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dunno.

As a friend o the working girl, I admire competent women. I have known many, and have been outsailed by most and outsmarted by all.

Imma just leave this one alone this morning.... The banter escalation would likely consume more time than we planned to be here... When I cross the line in the future and you call me on it.... I'll remind you of my one credit....