Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 06:41   #31

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: I've gone and done it now

Don't be upset if you accumulate a substantial list of projects during the repositioning. Part of getting to know her is fixing all the neglected items. Its all part of the game....my first trip was a mechanical disaster but also a total blast. I was glad I took my sons along and not dear wife, who would have been nonplussed by all the antics and constant grabbing of tools. Congrats on your new vessel.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:17   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Pilot...

FWIW... If you're scrambling with time and $, I wouldn't be completely opposed to lettin' you borrow my electronics bag for a couple weeks... SH HX851/Garmin GPSMAP 78/Spot.... spot needs to be reactivated....
I appreciate it, but I've got several handhelds, one with Sat wx., of course they have Aviation nav software, but I have an Ipad with Garmin blue charts.
Laptop hard drive literally swallowed it arse last night, but ordered a 240 g SSD from Amazon, will put Active Captain and Open CPN on it.
Ought to rent a Satphone, may still.

I'm ALWAYS scrambling for either time or money, seems like the two just don't mix.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:20   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
I second (or third or fourth) suggestions not to shop to fully equip the boat just yet. Choosing the right things for inside the boat are as personal as for your home. Your wife (& perhaps yourself as well) should take the time to savour the choices and shopping. Plus, until you've spent some time on board you just don't know what fits & what doesn't. Bring paper or some old stuff from home for the first trip. And champagne of course! Taking an experienced skipper along is a good move too.

Very big congrats to you both!!! Let the journey begin.
Never thought of the Champagne, thanks
Dom Perignon, or the cheap stuff since we wouldn't know the difference anyway?
Or is this to break across the bow?
Old 28-03-2014, 07:26   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Don't be upset if you accumulate a substantial list of projects during the repositioning. Part of getting to know her is fixing all the neglected items. Its all part of the game....my first trip was a mechanical disaster but also a total blast. I was glad I took my sons along and not dear wife, who would have been nonplussed by all the antics and constant grabbing of tools. Congrats on your new vessel.
I expect that, packed my tool bag last night as a matter of fact.
I have a 67 page survey, we took all day, daylight to dusk. My instructions to the surveyor was if I found anything at all wrong with the boat that he didn't have listed, even as small as a blown bulb, he failed. I told him his job was to show me why I don't want to buy this boat. So I have already gotten a pretty extensive list, most of it grunt work though, dry rotted hoses, rusted hose clamps kind of list, nothing requiring any kind of skill yet, I hope it stays that way I know better
Old 28-03-2014, 07:59   #35

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

The champagne is for you & your lady of course! Although if you wish to spill a little on the bow that might please Neptune.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:04   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I appreciate it, but I've got several handhelds, one with Sat wx., of course they have Aviation nav software, but I have an Ipad with Garmin blue charts.
Laptop hard drive literally swallowed it arse last night, but ordered a 240 g SSD from Amazon, will put Active Captain and Open CPN on it.
Ought to rent a Satphone, may still.

I'm ALWAYS scrambling for either time or money, seems like the two just don't mix.
SUPER... sounds like ya got it covered... It was a just in case, and I won't need it this month...

When ya get a second... (HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!) You need to post us an prospective itinerary/route... Here or probably better another new post...

Bet sat phone is going to be easily crossed the list when we see what you're thinkin...

Quote:
Never thought of the Champagne, thanks
Dom Perignon, or the cheap stuff since we wouldn't know the difference anyway?
Or is this to break across the bow?
2 bottles... Cheap for the bow... Cooks... better for the glasses... Dom over-rated... veuve clicquot or piper sonoma... get 2 real glasses too... not plastic... Wrap the christening bottle in 2 towels and hit something hard like the bow roller channel... Don't pull a Flying Wasp Caddyshack moment...

Quote:
I expect that, packed my tool bag last night as a matter of fact.
I have a 67 page survey, we took all day, daylight to dusk. My instructions to the surveyor was if I found anything at all wrong with the boat that he didn't have listed, even as small as a blown bulb, he failed. I told him his job was to show me why I don't want to buy this boat. So I have already gotten a pretty extensive list, most of it grunt work though, dry rotted hoses, rusted hose clamps kind of list, nothing requiring any kind of skill yet, I hope it stays that way I know better
Glad it started this way... but cautious optimism can go south quickly!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	veuve-clicquot-ponsardin.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	78228   Click image for larger version

Name:	piper.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	78229  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:07   #37

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Especially when it comes to the boat.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:08   #38

Congrats on the boat purchase!

If you want to outfit the boat inexpensively with essentials (bottle opener, corkscrew, silverware, plates, etc,) I'd suggest the local Salvation Army or Goodwill stores.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 12:13   #39

No, No! We've gone from Dom to the Sally Ann!

This is (after a bit of work) going to be a classy luxury yacht! No Sally Ann please! I'm sure the Admiral will back me on this one.
Old 28-03-2014, 13:55   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

He said from Daytona Beach to Panama City by water correct? And he has rented a captain for a 10 day voyage. I don't think the mast will make it through the big lake. And you guys think they are going to be harbor hopping?
Leave the wife at home- she is not going to like this. You are going to get really sweaty and messy before this thing is over, and the captain will probably be smoking something to try and stay up by the end.
Put the dingy on the fore deck or the lazarettes and forget about it unless you are sinking.
Hope for a tail wind or at least a reach. I seem to remember that Island Packets love a reach.
Prepare for a sail like nobody's business.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 14:12   #41

Quote:

This is (after a bit of work) going to be a classy luxury yacht! No Sally Ann please! I'm sure the Admiral will back me on this one.

What are your preferences? Diamond encrusted corkscrew? Platinum bottle opener? Porsche Design silverware? Monogrammed table linens?

IMHO, some things, like the running gear, sails, ground tackle, etc should be the best you can get; other things, like the silverware pattern or everyday plates don't really need to be up to the same standards of performance, as long as the food doesn't slide off of the fork or plate, I'm fairly happy.

You can spend $300 on new cookware, or buy the exact same thing or equivalent from GW or SA for $50 with a little luck and good timing. I'm all for saving a buck, after having outfitted 2 different RVs with a complete set of cookware and kitchen gadgets.
Old 28-03-2014, 15:31   #42

Hey socaldmax, I'm all for getting the best deal possible too--for the specific items I need or want, but I believe having a welcoming and efficient interior is as important as a safe and efficient exterior. Put another way, I'm not a fan of melamine or plastic, and most of the ladies I know who sail like to put their own mark on the interior. a64pilot & his lady will make the boat their own--which is just as it should be.
Old 28-03-2014, 16:38   #43

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Hey, pilot, the Defender annual sale is on now through Sunday. Definitely check their prices on anything you are thinking about buying. I went to the store yesterday, but am buying most of my stuff online and having it shipped home.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:01   #44

Quote:
Hey socaldmax, I'm all for getting the best deal possible too--for the specific items I need or want, but I believe having a welcoming and efficient interior is as important as a safe and efficient exterior. Put another way, I'm not a fan of melamine or plastic, and most of the ladies I know who sail like to put their own mark on the interior. a64pilot & his lady will make the boat their own--which is just as it should be.
Well, of course they're going to buy what they want. I never suggested that they had to buy what I like. It was just a suggestion for another possible place to shop that sometimes people overlook.

I remember paying $200 for my first Weber Q200 grill.

2 months later, I bought another from craigslist that looked nearly brand new for $50. I got exactly what I wanted, and saved $150. Had I thought to look on craigslist for the first one, I might have saved another $150.

Is that clear enough?
Old 28-03-2014, 19:07   #45

Quote:

So what you're saying is all one needs to do is pay too much for expensive tableware, and you've got yourself a classy luxury yacht?

I learn something new every day.