Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-04-2014, 19:28   #136

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: I've Gone and Done it Now

Hi 64,

I'm just now getting caught up on your whole grand adventure! I hadn't read this post since you were just about to leave. It's really good to hear that it turned out so well

Old 15-04-2014, 06:05   #137

Boat: Beneteau 411

Congrats! Now you know for a fact you have a well found, capable vessel!

Don't sweat those shallow waters in the Keys, it's well charted and as long as you pay a little attention some great cruising and a fantastic winter home. Guess a working chart plotter would have been nice though, I'm a big fan of Garmin Blue charts on iPad, my Raymarine 120 is almost a backup to the Ipads (3 of them) on board.

Old 15-04-2014, 06:19   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
Congrats! Now you know for a fact you have a well found, capable vessel!

Don't sweat those shallow waters in the Keys, it's well charted and as long as you pay a little attention some great cruising and a fantastic winter home. Guess a working chart plotter would have been nice though, I'm a big fan of Garmin Blue charts on iPad, my Raymarine 120 is almost a backup to the Ipads (3 of them) on board.
I had blue chart on my IPAD and phone, and we were supposed to be in 7.9 to 8.9' of water but weren't. Now it was close to low tide as I believe the only thing worse than running aground, is running aground on a high tide. My professional skipper did run us aground in Biscayne Bay in charted 8.9' of water, cost us almost a day. Classic case of the chart says we have water, so we must have water, but you know all it takes is one storm.
I'm gun shy of skinny water coming from power boats, in those all you do is "bump" the bottom once and you've bought two shafts min. And I'm not used to drawing 5' of water either.
I'll learn, even an old dog can learn a new trick, just takes longer is all
Old 15-04-2014, 06:24   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Porte Rouge View Post
We're building a house down there -- retired about a year ago. Should be finished in about a month.
We are in slip 316 in the Panama City marina, be down most weekends,
drop by and I'm sure we can find some kind of adult beverage and grill some kind of flesh

On edit, the gate is locked, if your coming PM me and I can give you a cell number to call.
Old 15-04-2014, 06:32   #140

Boat: Beneteau 411

That's interesting, I've found the soundings on the Gulf side of marathon to be very reliable... I suspect you will find a grounding with your IP to be far less costly then your power boat. As long as you have tow insurance of course
Old 16-04-2014, 13:37   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
That's interesting, I've found the soundings on the Gulf side of marathon to be very reliable... I suspect you will find a grounding with your IP to be far less costly then your power boat. As long as you have tow insurance of course
I wouldn't trust the charts up north beyond 10000 Islands though! Boca Grande seems to change every year. That is where I had one of my true stupid moments:
The wife: I can see from the bow that your going to hit sand!
Me: No I'm not, the chartplotter says there's a channel here!
The wife: You running right into it!
Me: I'll be OK
The boat: Slunnnch! (as it stops all forward movement)
The wife: I can see where the channel is 50 yards to the east.
Me: GRRR
Old 17-04-2014, 14:19   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Couple of posts removed due to request from poster. The responses also removed. Thanks guys.

Coops.
Old 24-04-2014, 10:24   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Nope haven't posted any photos, and yes that is exactly what I meant by arch, are they known by other names? I'd like one if possible that would raise the dink high enough for me to see under when backing the boat, plus I assume that would get it high enough to be out of a following sea
I'd reconsider your davit plans. Raising it high enough for you to see beneath it while backing (a VERY small percentage of your boating future) will mean that you are adding both weight aloft AND windage aloft, not a good thing. 250 lbs doesn't sound like much but when it's about 8' -10 above the water and at the extreme end of your boat, it becomes significant. Also, while the cross sectional area of your dinghy isn't huge, putting it way up high will mean it lives out of the wind shadow of your dodger and boats cabin and the moment arm acting on this windage will noticeably affect how your boat handles in high winds. Hanging the dinghy from traditional davits or from an arch at a lower level so you can see over it while backing will be much more satisfactory. If you need to, stand on the helmsmans seat while backing down. If you are sailing in conditions where you are worried about following seas so huge they are in danger of filling your dinghy while hung from traditional davits, then you probably should have your dinghy inverted on your foredeck. If you are in seas and winds that huge, the last thing you want is a big, heavy dinghy suspended way up high. Also, I doubt that you will regularly remove a 100+ pound outboard and put it on the rail.

Unless you really need an arch for other purposes, why not get some rugged (Atkins Hoyle for example) davits that can handle the weight of your dinghy and outboard, and when you go offshore or anticipate very rough conditions, only then will you need to remove the outboard and transfer your dinghy to your foredeck. If you REALLY are sold on getting an arch, you still should strive to keep additional windage and weight as low as possible. An arch with a big dinghy/outboard hanging high enough to see under it is the worst possible combination.
Old 24-04-2014, 12:36   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Arch plans derailed due as much to finances as anything else plus I can't seem to find anyone to build me a custom arch anyway.
Davits is what it will be. Whose I'm unsure of but was leaning towards Kato.
Old 24-04-2014, 15:30   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
If you are in seas and winds that huge, the last thing you want is a big, heavy dinghy suspended way up high. Also, I doubt that you will regularly remove a 100+ pound outboard and put it on the rail.
... An arch with a big dinghy/outboard hanging high enough to see under it is the worst possible combination.
You mean like this one, which I have sailed with in large swells

All joking aside, if I had to do it over again, I would probably just deal with the dingy on the front deck. That radar arch cost me a few broken bones!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	517.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	79792  
Attached Images

Old 24-04-2014, 17:37   #146

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64pilot:

FWIW, I think davits are super for getting the dinghy out of the water at anchor, but for coastal or offshore work, you want it secured really well on deck. If the 3.10 is too big for your foredeck, I hope you are willing to consider a smaller RIB that will fit. We do ours disinflated, and bought the biggest dinghy we could fit. It's tied down forward to the same fitting our baby stay goes to, and about 2/3 of the way aft to port and starboard pad eyes with a tensioning strop of 2" webbing between them. The transom is secured in removable chocks. It's a good deal for the dinghy to stay put in a seaway. If you have a lot of that short, steep chop in your area, the dinghy will behave unhappily in davits if you leave it there. It may give you one of newt's learning experiences.

Enjoy,

Ann
Old 24-04-2014, 17:53   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The next couple of years will consist of just day / weekend sailing along the Gulf coast due to work while waiting on retirement, I hope to be able to do the dry Tortugas or something during my two weeks off in the Summer vacation.
Point is for 99% of my sailing in the near future I could just tow the thing, except for the Summer vacation I'll be within ten hours or so from my Marina, and even less to the nearest, but even in the Gulf sudden Thunderstorms can get nasty.
What I want a dinghy for mostly is getting to shore on one of the many barrier islands and maybe to run in for something.
So you see deflating the thing and storing it on the foredeck for one days sail just doesn't make sense.
All of this is a learning experience for me designed to gather enough knowledge so that in a few years when I get my youngest off to school, I can retire and really begin cruising.
I think I can rig up some kind of hoist on my mast to raise the thing and drop it deflated into cradles that i can build on the foredeck and lash it down if and when we actually begin to do any passages, but by that time there will only be two of us and not four like there is now, so a smaller dink may be better then anyway.
Old 24-04-2014, 18:06   #148

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

The roll-up Avon (with slatted vinyl floor) on Terra Nova can easily be lifted onto the deck by 2 persons; I do it alone with a halyard. For short passages it can be deflated and lashed down where it won't interfere with the staysail. For longer passages it can be bagged and dropped down the foredeck hatch. It presently has only a 3 hp Yamaha 2-stroke, which is easy to lift onto the rail, which is why it is only 3 hp. A 3.5 hp Nissan is lighter yet. And a 4hp Suzuki will plane it with 1 person. Beats rowing.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 06:10   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

I actually had an Avon 310 with a 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke on it that I regularly hung from my Atkins Hoyle davits on my last boat and it was very secure. I wouldn't go offshore with it back there but it was perfect for securing the dinghy at night and for coastal cruising. I once timed myself and it took me just under 2 minutes from approaching my boat in the dinghy to having the dinghy securely on the davits, the engine started, and the mooring let go and underway, very convenient!

If I was going to be just motoring in flat conditions I was all done but if I planned to sail, once underway I'd add 2 diagonal lines to keep it from swaying from side to side. I also had a 18" section of webbing that I had made with a loop sewed in either end that I fastened to the back on the dinghy transom and routed it under the tube closest to the boat and up to the davit. This held the dinghy tightly secured against the davit so it couldn't swing fore and aft. I glued on a 4"X6" patch to the area where the davits contacted the top of the tube to avoid chafing but that was probably unnecessary because even after several years, it never seemed to get very worn looking.

You'll want to get rugged davits if you'll sail in anything but the most benign conditions and the Atkins Hoyle aluminum davits I had were very rugged. Sort of pricey but worth it for the peace of mind. Also, if you wanted to put solar panels mounted on top of them, they'd be rugged enough to do that too. I hate to advertise for them because the owner is an absolute egotistical twit to deal with, but his company makes an outstanding product.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: