Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2013, 03:04   #1

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop
Its 4am...always 4am

Since I have been on this boat of mine, I cant seem to get past the 4am wake up. Its sad, I start yawning at @ 8pm, and by 9pm, I'm ready for the rack. Falling asleep is easy now since I moved to the middle of the boat, less noticible motion, but no matter what time I go to sleep, 4am my eyes flap open. Do the rest of yall find yourself early sleepers and early risers when out on the boat?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Its 4am...always 4am

Black Oak - welcome to the world of sailing. I wake every morning at 6 am. sharp. doesn't matter if I drank a bottle of gin the night before. 6 a.m.

4 a.m. is a little early, but on board a boat you tend to end up living a more "natural" life, meaning you get up when the sun does and go to sleep whenthe sun goes down. AFter a while you like it.

It is tough way up here in Denmark. In the summer, it never gets really dark, we are clsoe to having a midnight sun.

On you other thread a number of people are commenting on how you have become a sailor. I agree wholeheartedly. The 4 a.m. is part of it. Sooner or later, you'll start to wake in the middle of the night when the wind changes or the motion of the boat changes. I do. But generally, I wake, note the wind shift and fall asleep again without truely wakening.

This will also happen to you.

enjoy it

Old 10-02-2013, 03:32   #3

According to at least one blog I read, 9PM is known in the Caribbean as "cruisers' midnight".
Old 10-02-2013, 05:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
According to at least one blog I read, 9PM is known in the Caribbean as "cruisers' midnight".
Yep! In my jammies by 9 pm and asleep by 10 usually. Up early. Sometimes woken up by the Lobster boats heading out by the gentle rocking of the boat. Certainly beats using an alarm clock. Always enjoy watching the sunrise with a mug of Java too.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

That's the cruising life.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:34   #6

Boat: Nordic Tugs 37

Not only on the boat, but since I have been cruising summers even at home I hit the rack by 9-10 PM and am up by 5-5:30 almost every morning. Haven't needed an alarm clock in ages.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17   #7
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Is the only way especially in the summer when its 93deg by 10. The mornings are the only comfortable time to get things done.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:28   #8
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Its 4am...always 4am

Its that reversion to ancient instincts.. false and pre-dawn are times of danger... the hunters start thier prowl for breakfast in the cool and the prey have learnt to be alert...
Most **** seems to hit the fan then as well... or just after sunset..lol

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:38   #9

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Yep, up at 5 this morning as usual. Even though I watched Saturday Night Live last night, I'm normally asleep by 10.

On deck watching the sunrise soon after.

Going on three years now and loving it.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58   #10

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Since I have been on this boat of mine, I cant seem to get past the 4am wake up. Its sad, I start yawning at @ 8pm, and by 9pm, I'm ready for the rack. Falling asleep is easy now since I moved to the middle of the boat, less noticible motion, but no matter what time I go to sleep, 4am my eyes flap open. Do the rest of yall find yourself early sleepers and early risers when out on the boat?
Asleep by 9pm and up at 4am?? 'Dat cants be right... C'mon Man! You be in Key West... ya needs to get yor'self a beat-up bike if ya ain't done so by now and cruise about town in da evenings.

Lemme help ya out...

The Lazy Gecko on Duval for cold beer, live entertainment, boiturous young lady tourists.

JDL's Big Ten Pub...Caroline Street... Sports Bar with flat screens and decent happy hour prices, over zealous sports fans.

The Green Parrot... off the beaten tourist track, live entertainment, caters to locals

Two Friends... (my favorite), karoke, adult crowd, (adult as in nobody seeing the Lower Keys on their hands and knees and getting all stupid)

The Schooner Wharf Bar... outdoors, festive, relaxed.

I could go on but I won't for this list is but a start. And if perhaps you've already tired of the Key West tourist scene after having just arrived, then I'm gonna suggest that you set sail and clear on out of there at your first weather window.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:18   #11

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

I've always heard that if you tend to wake up in the middle of the night . . . don't go back to bed.

Instead, do something . . . worthwhile . . . THEN go back to bed.

I read that it's actually human nature to wake up in the middle of the night.

It supposedly goes back to when humans slept outside. The waking in the middle of the night was a sorta . . . safety call . . . to be more aware of one's surroundings and of danger that might be lurking.

DON'T FIGHT NATURE . . . live with nature.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:20   #12

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

BTW . . . when I stay on my boat, I too go to sleep shortly after 9pm, but I habitually wake at 2:30-3am. I use this time to find my buddy(Windsor, my cat . . . now gone), and run around with him for about an hour, then go back to sleep until 5 or 5:30 am, then I wake up for good.
Old 10-02-2013, 13:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

While at sea, asleep at past 02:00 and hopefully awake by 07:00.

While in port, asleep at past 02:00 and hopefully awake by 12:00.

All times local.

b.
Old 10-02-2013, 13:31   #14

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
Asleep by 9pm and up at 4am?? 'Dat cants be right... C'mon Man! You be in Key West... ya needs to get yor'self a beat-up bike if ya ain't done so by now and cruise about town in da evenings.

Lemme help ya out...

The Lazy Gecko on Duval for cold beer, live entertainment, boiturous young lady tourists.

JDL's Big Ten Pub...Caroline Street... Sports Bar with flat screens and decent happy hour prices, over zealous sports fans.

The Green Parrot... off the beaten tourist track, live entertainment, caters to locals

Two Friends... (my favorite), karoke, adult crowd, (adult as in nobody seeing the Lower Keys on their hands and knees and getting all stupid)

The Schooner Wharf Bar... outdoors, festive, relaxed.

I could go on but I won't for this list is but a start. And if perhaps you've already tired of the Key West tourist scene after having just arrived, then I'm gonna suggest that you set sail and clear on out of there at your first weather window.
I aint much on drinkin hooch, but I have been to the Turtle Kraal for happy hour a couple of times (starts at 4:30p). Two coronas, and a bucket of bones, right around 10 bucks sets me just right. Then there is being on the Garrison Bight side, which I am enjoying immensely, so nice and quiet, and apart from everyone, I can run around in my birthday suit, and often do without any issues. I can crank up my jams and do the buck nekid funky chicken on deck with extreme prejudice. However that night dinghy ride back to me boat, can be delighful, though the strong winds and wave height is a little WET in my slow movin achilles. Besides, come 8:30pm I start to yawn.
Old 12-02-2013, 14:51   #15

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I find myself crashing at 8 pm, but we're working people. Up at 5am and raring to go. Sometimes 3:30 or 4 am.

Coffee in the morning is awesome while at my mooring.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: