Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 05:57   #1

Boat: in the works
ISO cheap mooring, CT/ RI area

I know what you’re going to say; “Who isn’t looking for cheap mooring?!”, but I had hoped someone with more experience might be able to help. I may be securing a boat faster than I had expected and need a place to keep her. I don’t need fancy, matter of fact I prefer not being at a place that puts an emphasis on its amenities. I’m there to sail, not sit around the pool. Any help is hugely appreciated and may be rewarded in beer. Lots of beer.
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:14   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: ISO cheap mooring, CT/ RI area

About the best you can do is get in touch, do a search, of towns that administer their own moorings. My mooring in Rowayton is $200/year, then paying for a space to park and keep the dinghy, which I have an deal with a friend, then mooring inspections by an acceptable company every two years. How ever, I was on a waiting list for 11 years. Boating has changed a lot over the last 20 years, there are less people willing to be on a mooring, and want amenities. There seems to be more vacant moorings, but it never seems the waiting list never shortens.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
About the best you can do is get in touch, do a search, of towns that administer their own moorings. My mooring in Rowayton is $200/year, then paying for a space to park and keep the dinghy, which I have an deal with a friend, then mooring inspections by an acceptable company every two years. How ever, I was on a waiting list for 11 years. Boating has changed a lot over the last 20 years, there are less people willing to be on a mooring, and want amenities. There seems to be more vacant moorings, but it never seems the waiting list never shortens.
That would be great but I wasn’t sure if those were residents only, and finding them is near impossible. I keep seeing crazy annual fees for moorings! Up to 4K and so far none less than 2500
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52   #4

It is my understanding that if the harbor get's any federal funding for maintenance they are required to have certain public access, which includes moorings. But local politics gets in the way at times. It is just going to take legwork to see what you can find. I think the high cost moorings are privately owned and rented out. In Rowayton, you have to buy your own equipment and have it set. I wound up buying what was there, from the previous occupant, and paid to get it inspected. The $200 yearly fee is merely a permit for the river use for the year. When I had my $7000 slip, some years ago, (was working then), I still had to pay a $200 use fee. It again is my understanding that the fee goes into a fund for maintaining the river. That includes future dredging, enforcement of rules, etc.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:00   #5

I just looked at Active Captain. In 2012 I had to get an emergency haul out, hose on the rudder post split. I went to Ole Lyme Marina, in Old Lyme Ct. They had moorings, and asking price at the time, I remember them being reasonable, considering the area. Very sheltered behind an island, just off the Connecticut River. You do have to go under a rail bridge, so there may be a short wait at times.Nice place, nice people. Try them. Oh yeah, I l like Corona, with lime.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04   #6

Quote:
It is my understanding that if the harbor get's any federal funding for maintenance they are required to have certain public access, which includes moorings. But local politics gets in the way at times. It is just going to take legwork to see what you can find. I think the high cost moorings are privately owned and rented out. In Rowayton, you have to buy your own equipment and have it set. I wound up buying what was there, from the previous occupant, and paid to get it inspected. The $200 yearly fee is merely a permit for the river use for the year. When I had my $7000 slip, some years ago, (was working then), I still had to pay a $200 use fee. It again is my understanding that the fee goes into a fund for maintaining the river. That includes future dredging, enforcement of rules, etc.
Thanks! I’ll be looking into it. It’s a haul from where I live, but in a great spot to get in the water fast.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:32   #7

Take a look at Burr's Marina or Thamespport Marina in New London, CT. Moorings are in Greens Cove near the mouth of the Thames River in New London. Low on ammenities, but you could practically sail off of the mooring. A short sail to the mouth of the Thames and you're at the intersection of Fisher's Island Sound, LI Sound, and the Race.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:03   #8

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Take a look at Burr's Marina or Thamespport Marina in New London, CT. Moorings are in Greens Cove near the mouth of the Thames River in New London. Low on ammenities, but you could practically sail off of the mooring. A short sail to the mouth of the Thames and you're at the intersection of Fisher's Island Sound, LI Sound, and the Race.
Yeah I was going to mention the same thing Burrs and Newlondon in general tends to be much more reasonable then the Mystic area. If you have a little longer lead time you could also look into joining the Thames yacht club a little further down the Thames they have a nice launch service and clubhouse but it's members only. I think most of the mooring fields in eastern CT and RI area have waiting lists for town moorings otherwise that would be the cheapest option.
No idea what these guys charge for moorings but I have used Maxwells for haul outs and Dons for a launch a while back. might be worth a call.
Don's Dock Marina Stonington CT
https://www.maxwellboatyard.com/

Thames Yacht Club | The family boating club of New London, CT since 1933
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17   #9

Boat: Pearson 30

What size boat?
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 14:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Yeah I was going to mention the same thing Burrs and Newlondon in general tends to be much more reasonable then the Mystic area. If you have a little longer lead time you could also look into joining the Thames yacht club a little further down the Thames they have a nice launch service and clubhouse but it's members only. I think most of the mooring fields in eastern CT and RI area have waiting lists for town moorings otherwise that would be the cheapest option.
No idea what these guys charge for moorings but I have used Maxwells for haul outs and Dons for a launch a while back. might be worth a call.
Don's Dock Marina Stonington CT
https://www.maxwellboatyard.com/

Thames Yacht Club | The family boating club of New London, CT since 1933
I Kept a power boat at Burrs a few years back. Their prices have jumped way up from what they were, and back then the place needed work. I remember there being two boards that were loose on the dock that if you stepped on them the wrong way they would pop up. Honestly they are priced higher than one of the spots I called in the Mystic area!
Old 10-04-2018, 14:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy26 View Post
What size boat?
Looks like it might be a 34. It's bigger than I wanted but a good deal is a good deal.
Old 10-04-2018, 14:54   #12

Quote:
I just looked at Active Captain. In 2012 I had to get an emergency haul out, hose on the rudder post split. I went to Ole Lyme Marina, in Old Lyme Ct. They had moorings, and asking price at the time, I remember them being reasonable, considering the area. Very sheltered behind an island, just off the Connecticut River. You do have to go under a rail bridge, so there may be a short wait at times.Nice place, nice people. Try them. Oh yeah, I l like Corona, with lime.
I did contact a marina in the Old Lyme area, but I don't think it was them. $2500 and change for the summer
Old 10-04-2018, 15:15   #13

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
I Kept a power boat at Burrs a few years back. Their prices have jumped way up from what they were, and back then the place needed work. I remember there being two boards that were loose on the dock that if you stepped on them the wrong way they would pop up. Honestly they are priced higher than one of the spots I called in the Mystic area!
Yeah looks like it's gone up since I last priced it. I have a relative who keeps a boat there but he likely gets a deal as has had the same slip for 30 years.
Looking around most people prices are up from a few years ago slips must be filling back up. You can try Three Bells in Niantic they had a few moorings but getting a boat in and out the bridge is a bit challenging. Also there was a few shallow spots on the way there last time I was out that way. You could try Pine island as well but I think that will run the same as Mystic. In the long run I would look at getting on some mooring lists or joining a club.
Old 10-04-2018, 15:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Yeah looks like it's gone up since I last priced it. I have a relative who keeps a boat there but he likely gets a deal as has had the same slip for 30 years.
Looking around most people prices are up from a few years ago slips must be filling back up. You can try Three Bells in Niantic they had a few moorings but getting a boat in and out the bridge is a bit challenging. Also there was a few shallow spots on the way there last time I was out that way. You could try Pine island as well but I think that will run the same as Mystic. In the long run I would look at getting on some mooring lists or joining a club.
Back when I was there I didn't mind the condition of the place because the price was right. There's a pool there I never used... The crazy thing about all this is I've seen prices for marinas around NYC and they are cheaper!!!!! By hundreds!!
Old 10-04-2018, 16:14   #15

Boat: Pearson 30

I’m a member of New Haven Yacht Club- mooring fee is around $750 but you have to join. There’s an initiation fee but they have a launch service.
Sail right off the mooring into LIS.
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, mooring