Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 00:38   #1

Islander Freeport 41, desperate for info!

Hey all,
I found an Islander Freeport 41 that appears to be in great shape(a survey will tell more) that I'm looking to buy. These boats seem to be very rare and finding the lowdown on them is proving to be quite difficult.

I'm in SF and am looking at buying a full keel blue water boat. The Freeport seems to fit bill in terms of design but from what I've read I'm getting the impression they have terrible sail performance. But I've also heard Hans Christians have bad performance but I sail regularly on an HC 41 but have never found it bad, though that could the areas good local sailing weather..

Anyone out there know how these boats perform? While having a nice big motor is nice, it should be a nice backup not a regular means of propulsion... Being in a calmer climates kind of worries me.

Any help, guidance, opinions would be greatly appreciated

I've also read their poor to weatherly performers, presumably over the ketch rig?
SaltyNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 05:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Islander Freeport 41, desperate for info!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Salty.

Islanders typically have a few known problems, including:
The hull/deck joint, secured with screws and inferior sealant, leaks badly on most boats.
The fuel and water tanks are of stainless steel or aluminum, depending on the boat, and they're encased in cavities under the saloon sole with no provision for drainage, so they corrode.
The saloon windows give a fantastic view out, but should have storm shutters on passage.

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0Freeport.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 05:56   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why not sail one so you know exactly what the sail performance is.
full keeled boats donot handle same as fin spade do... have fun sorting out what you really want in a boat.
you will not know what the handling of a boat is until you sail it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:16   #4

I do not have any personal experience with the Freeport. If you're looking for a boat with good light air performance, my guess would be it's not the right boat.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:37   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 41

Salty,
I own a 1983 Islander Freeport 41 and sail on Lake Texoma north of Dallas. It's ketch rig and takes about 15 knots wind to get it moving. Have been renovating slowly for the past three years. Survey found numerous items fairly easily corrected. Moderate blistering, some engine, generator and refrigeration work. Six cylinder VW marine diesel built on a Kubota block. Most parts available from VW marine support group in Montreal or local VW and Kubota dealers. Biggest issue was leaks from poorly bedded hardware, ports, handrails, etc. that were bolted through the deck. See photo. Removed all, drilled holes oversize, filled with epoxy and rebedded everything with an appropriate sealant. Leaks are gone, except for the keel-stepped mast. Even with installation of Spartite and new boot, still leaks. Water intrusion ruined headliner (foam and vinyl); and now replacing with a system recommended by Sailrite. Takes only half a city block to turn due to full keel, but we love the space, large engine room, aft cabin, etc. Not a racer, but since we are cruisers on a large inland lake it is ideal. The boat was sold and launched on Lake Texoma, so has never seen salt water. Hope this helps. I'd be happy to provide more info if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140821_101823890.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	115998  
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:18   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Great looking boat. Here's some info I found. You've probably see it all but thought I'd post it anyway just in case. Good luck.
Mystic Journeys - Olympia Sailboat Charter
Freeport 41 | Cruising World
1978 Islander Freeport 41
The Islander Freeport 41 Desiderata makes a fun charter on San Francisco Bay - Picture of Desiderata Sailing, Tiburon - TripAdvisor
My views on split rigs - YACHT DESIGN
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:23   #7

I always kind of like them, but not so good to windward. Everything's a compromise though and on a cruising boat you learn to live with your boat's compromises.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 14:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Great looking boat. Here's some info I found. You've probably see it all but thought I'd post it anyway just in case. Good luck.
1978 Islander Freeport 41
To correct info in this link Robert Perry did not design the Freeport 41. Charles Davies did. Bob Perry updated the design by eliminating the stern windows that made it look like a pirate ship, re-designed the cockpit to allow a walk through to the aft cabin, and fined the entry a bit. It was Bob's first job for islander and one of his first as a solo designer.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1911
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 16:44   #9

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I owned one years ago.... probably the best live aboard for the money... yes 15 knts just to rustle her hair.... wish they came with a taller mast.... very comfortable is what I would say... get a 150 genoa on the roller furling... you will need it if you want to sale... aft state room is one of the best for any boat its size.... you can play tennis in the engine room.... the salon is as comfortable as my favorite Pub in England.... need to practice the use of forward and reverse etc. when turning a full keel... If I could learn so can you... when at the dock she rules!
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 19:21   #10

Boat: 1991 Island Packet 35

I crewed on the Freeport 41 years ago to Hawaii. I found her to be a very stable and easily managed boat in the open sea where very little turning was required Both the generator and the freezer crapped out on the journey but the craft itself was very comfortable for a crew of four. I have considered buying one myself but it's just too much like a motosailer for me. Cruising world magazine did a small feature on the Freeport 41 a few years ago and I saved the article I believe if you think you would ever want it. Any chance the boat you're looking at is named blue planet?
Musicaltrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 14:02   #11

Boat: Yamaha, 33', Tall Rig

Full Keel Boats.........
A Gentleman Never sails to Weather.
Hudsonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 19:00   #12

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I made one coastwise offshore passage from Hilton Head to the Chesapeake Bay in one in the late '70s, then later had a friend who lived aboard one in Annapolis in the '80s.

Great liveaboard boat, but lousy light-air sailor. Seakindly motion offshore, but the low companionway sill, large windows, and lack of good handholds (coupled with wide-open spaces) below decks make it less than an ideal bluewater boat. I also seem to recall hydraulic steering with zero helm feel.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 19:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNachos View Post
Hey all,
I found an Islander Freeport 41 that appears to be in great shape(a survey will tell more) that I'm looking to buy. These boats seem to be very rare and finding the lowdown on them is proving to be quite difficult.

I'm in SF and am looking at buying a full keel blue water boat. The Freeport seems to fit bill in terms of design but from what I've read I'm getting the impression they have terrible sail performance. But I've also heard Hans Christians have bad performance but I sail regularly on an HC 41 but have never found it bad, though that could the areas good local sailing weather..

Anyone out there know how these boats perform? While having a nice big motor is nice, it should be a nice backup not a regular means of propulsion... Being in a calmer climates kind of worries me.

Any help, guidance, opinions would be greatly appreciated

I've also read their poor to weatherly performers, presumably over the ketch rig?
motorsailor
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 20:20   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Strangely enough she is not a very heavy displacement boat, though she looks like it. If you like that style of boat have you looked at Downeast boats? I think they are a little "bluer."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 00:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
motorsailor
Yes, but a nice one. Good accommodation and not bad looks.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeport, Islander Freeport