Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 13:08   #1

Islander 36 experience

Hey, I've been a member of this forum for years as I've slowly gathered information. Iam on the cusp purchasing my first sailboat. Dont worry I'll get a survey. I found an islander 36 iam very interested in and I think I'm going to get it pulled and have a survey done.

The cost is 20,000 and in my opinion it is over priced. It is far from ready to sail, I see at least 1 blister above the waterline, I dont think it's ever been painted. I'm sure that most of the windows leak a little bit. There is moss growing on the deck, but no soft spots that I could find. The standing rigging is to my untrained eye in good condition with no broken strands or obvious problems, the chain plates look good too,although I didnt go up the mast. The running rigging is in shambles and would need to be totally replaced. The engine is a perkins and has 2103 hours on it and apparent runs "fine"

The interior is in ok condition. I've seen worse, I've seen better. Mostly wood inside and it need to be refinished and in some cases replaced. My question is that assuming the survey comes back without any surprises, is 20,000 obo a fair price for that boat? What do these things usually go for... it's a 1979
Tromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:32   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Islander 36 experience

Just an opinion, there is one for sale at our marina in Guatemala and I've checked it out. Nice looking boat but it's kinda small. I thought our boat was on the small side but the Islander looks more svelte. How much stuff could you carry in one? Everything about it seemed a little light weight too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Just an opinion, there is one for sale at our marina in Guatemala and I've checked it out. Nice looking boat but it's kinda small. I thought our boat was on the small side but the Islander looks more svelte. How much stuff could you carry in one? Everything about it seemed a little light weight too.
To be honest It is much bigger than what I was initially looking at, I pack light and I could easily put everything I need on that boat with room to spare. I dont know much about sailboats, but iam a fishing charter boat captain so I know a little bit about the way glass boats are built. I liked what I saw from a quality of workmanship standpoint with the fiberglass. Now, chainplates and rigging... dont ask me. Seemed good, no corrosion or water leaking issues at the chainplates. The engine doesnt look great, but I guess it runs ...
Old 21-08-2019, 16:30   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

You should buy it. The one down here has a cheese ball solar set-up, you could do better. Not much room for a dinghy but It looks fast.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:33   #5

Sounds like it's somewhat overpriced for the condition, and the condition is likely to be worse than it appears. Well-loved boats look like they were. Keep looking.

I would suggest as a start, estimate how much work the boat needs, then double your estimate.

Yachtworld is a half-decent guide to price :

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...currencyid=100
Old 21-08-2019, 16:39   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

They are known for having that tabbing problem. Have you researched that?

There's on for sale here that is very nice except for the ridiculous interior cushions.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...er-36-7080727/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 19:18   #7

Could someone please explain the tabbing problem to me? Is it where the fibre glass attaches to the bulkheads, what exactly goes wrong here? I agree, I think the boat is seriously overpriced. From what I have seen and looked at iam buying a seemingly solid hull and a decent livable space. Nothing else is really ready to go. The engine is old, it has no running rigging, and he took.the sails off the boat.. i have a sneaking suspicion that they are not with the boat becasue the condition of the sails is less than desireable.

The boat has not come out of the water in 12 years. 12 years, can you beleive that?! having said all that, I spent probably 2.5 hours on the boat today, and I'm actually impressed with the way it has held up under such neglect. I'm going to get a survey, inspect the sails, get some repair quotes and make a reasonable offer. My preliminary estimates are telling me 8 or 9 grand is a good offer. The boat is in Alaska so if he doesnt take it he can sit on it for years. I'll go somewhere else and buy a boat.

Tags
enc