Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 13:51   #91

Boat: J/42
Re: Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

That's assuming Bonneville would be on normal schedule for locking recreational boats through... and no bridges or power lines have fallen into the river.

All the locks are still closed until March 20 (per schedule), so the big one better wait until then!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 14:08   #92
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
I have met many sailors or wannabes who bring this up as one of the reasons why they bought or want a sailboat. It may have some merit but frankly, I wonder sometimes if people use it as an excuse to talk their SO into buying a boat?
What's an "SO"?
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 14:12   #93

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

If it's a localized disaster, like 9/11 survivors will simply walk out. No need to starve in the city. Even if something the size of NY gets hit by an EMP, people will walk out. However if there is a virulent outbreak (please forget zombies and think realistic like a fast Ebola) you may not be allowed to simply walk out and you certainly would not be allowed to sail away. But you can see those things coming and could leave early. If it's a mega tsunami well you better not depend on your sailboat... I imagine getting I someone's car and going inland to some mountains would be best.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 14:18   #94
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
One EMP? really? Tell me please how that would work?

However, I agree on the web attack and a prolonged black out.
I think the web attack thing is bs. At least in the context it is popularly presented. The power grids etc are closed systems - you can not just go to "www.powergrid.com", " hack it" and shut down the grid. The control systems are not connected to the worldwide web. It would have to be someone working within the grid infrastructure who has direct console access to the control systems.

EMP is another issue. Popular Mechanics magazine posted an article a decade ago about how easy it is to make an EMP bomb for about $400. That, a high altitude nuke, or a naturally produced EMP is a plausible and real potential catastrophe.
Old 05-02-2017, 14:19   #95

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
What's an "SO"?
Significant Other

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 14:26   #96
RPZ

Ah, yes. Significant others can be a problem buying anything let alone a boat.
Old 05-02-2017, 14:37   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You mean FP owners NEED convincing they've the better boat..???
English can be tricky.
I took "their" to refer to the Lagoon owners.
You took "their" to refer to the FP owners.

Guess either is a valid interpretation.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 14:40   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
English can be tricky.
I took "their" to refer to the Lagoon owners.
You took "their" to refer to the FP owners.

Guess either is a valid interpretation.
Everyone knows the best is a Broadblue Rapier 550....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:14   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is your boat part of your Doomsday Plan?

Quote:
I think the web attack thing is bs. At least in the context it is popularly presented. The power grids etc are closed systems - you can not just go to "www.powergrid.com", " hack it" and shut down the grid. The control systems are not connected to the worldwide web. It would have to be someone working within the grid infrastructure who has direct console access to the control systems.

EMP is another issue. Popular Mechanics magazine posted an article a decade ago about how easy it is to make an EMP bomb for about $400. That, a high altitude nuke, or a naturally produced EMP is a plausible and real potential catastrophe.

Read about the stuxnet virus, then make up your own mind how plausible it could be.
A year or so ago when the Ebola thing looked like it might spread, a few were considering their long range cruising boats as a possible option.
However as many have said, and I believe it too, that is you would have to leave early, before anything got bad, whatever it was or whatever caused it.
Again as many have posted, they have already "bugged out" mostly as a joke, but who knows?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:19   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

If its connected to the internet or phone system then ANY company is vulnerable. The only way to protect one hundred percent from a net attack is to have your main system off line.

Many financial organisations only have one computer connected to the web that does specific jobs and is NOT connected to their management system.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:20   #101

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Read about the stuxnet virus, then make up your own mind how plausible it could be.
Actually, just go back to last year and see how the Russian (government?) hackers took down Ukraine's power plants and grid. However it is done, it works. While that is not my immediate concern, it is most definitely possible.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:21   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe Stuxnet was brought in by an Engineer using a USB stick. The Iranians were smart enough not to have their Nuclear facility connected to the internet, but all it took was one guy to use an infected USB stick, there are other more nefarious ways of course.
Old 05-02-2017, 15:26   #103
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A year or so ago when the Ebola thing looked like it might spread, a few were considering their long range cruising boats as a possible option.
However as many have said, and I believe it too, that is you would have to leave early, before anything got bad, whatever it was or whatever caused it.
Again as many have posted, they have already "bugged out" mostly as a joke, but who knows?
Don't get me wrong, I think a boat as an emergency getaway is perfect sense. And there are a variety of possibilities that might precipitate the need.

But "cyber attacks" on the grid are just bs. Someone just name one grid "website" you can go to on the www and "hack" to gain access to the control systems. There aren't any. Its a media hoax. It would have to be someone with a direct grid power system control access console. You can't "log in" from the www, and therefore it can't be "hacked". It is a hardwired closed system. Its like saying you can " hack in" to a closed circuit TV system at a gas station in New York using you PC and the www in Moscow.
Old 05-02-2017, 15:26   #104

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
That's assuming Bonneville would be on normal schedule for locking recreational boats through... and no bridges or power lines have fallen into the river.

All the locks are still closed until March 20 (per schedule), so the big one better wait until then!
If a bridge fell down it would likely be passable by a cruising sailboat. The real problem is if it has to be opened and there is no power available to do it. [Edit: or it is jammed]

If we have "the big one" they will be opening the locks in order to move food and water into PDX on barges. Also they will be moving goods from the sea upriver to PDX. It could take a long time to re-establish road and rail links, and to repair the airport runways.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 15:29   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

But "cyber attacks" on the grid are just bs. Someone just name one grid "website" you can go to on the www and "hack" to gain access to the control systems. There aren't any. Its a media hoax. It would have to be someone with a direct grid power system control access console. You can't "log in" from the www, and therefore it can't be "hacked". It is a hardwired closed system. Its like saying you can " hack in" to a closed circuit TV system at a gas station in New York using you PC and the www in Moscow.

Did you read about Stuxnet? Why would you think it would be done or have to be done via the internet, there are many ways some as simple as simply allowing the virus out via the internet,odds are it will then find its way to the targeted source by any one of several means.

On edit, I am not saying it will ever happen, just that in my opinion cyberwarfare is a real possibility, one that has actually been waged for years.
Take a look and see if the Pentagon takes it seriously.

Tags
boat