Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2007, 23:22   #1

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
IS this possible????

Well i want to cruise but do not have the money to do it for years on end. What I do have is a job that for every day I work I get a paid days holiday. Pretty much we work 7 weeks on 7 weeks of so I was wondering if it was possible to just keep on cruising the south pacific for 7 weeks at a time and then put it in a marina somewhere and go to work for seven weeks. Oh my company will fly me to work from any airport i want (anywhere). i would like to go to say New calidonia, Vanautu, fiji for a start. I am presently trying to search the net for suitable marinas etc to leave my boat at while I go back to work but would apreciate any information anyone may have.
Thanks Andy

Old 25-11-2007, 00:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
What you want to do is possible, but not necessarily easy.

1. You will be sailing to a schedule, and that often causes problems when the weather doesn't cooperate. It sometimes forces you to sail in bad weather where you or your boat can get hurt.
2. Cyclone season will be a challenge. You will probably need to carry insurance that covers your boat if it stays in cyclone alley.
3. There may be restrictions how long you can leave your boat in different locations. Some countries only care how long you are there, and others are more concerned about how long the boat is there.

If I was thinking about doing what you want to do, I would consider hauling the boat out at each destination if it was cyclone season. If it wasn't cyclone season, I would have it in a secure marina if that was possible.

Your plan is also heavily dependent on the weather. Some years the South Pacific weather cooperates and is nothing but good. Your plan would work well during one of those years. But if it's a bad year weatherwise, you could face major challenges.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 10:00   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
Pretty much we work 7 weeks on 7 weeks of so I was wondering if it was possible to just keep on cruising the south pacific for 7 weeks at a time and then put it in a marina somewhere and go to work for seven weeks.
Andy:

The South Pacific may be difficult because of how spread out it is but you can certainly do that for a couple years in the Caribbean. The Caribbean has more marina's and is more conducive to commuter cruising. Try the Windwards, Leewards, BVI, USVI, Spanish Virgins etc etc etc.

Another place that is very conducive to communter cruising is the Pacific side of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez. There are many people who work and cruise there and there are new marinas popping up every where.

Keegan
Old 25-11-2007, 14:26   #4

Boat: now floating easy37
what do you do
sean
Old 25-11-2007, 14:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Get a cheap boat and leave it in anchorages. If it gets smacked by a cyclone, you didn't lose much. Most of your expensive / steal-able gear you could just take off the boat with you when you leave for work (EPIRB, radio, GPS).

There was a guy in my marina who just gave away a Cheoy Lee Cadet because he couldn't sell it even for $5000.

I'd hunt around for something like that, maybe already over there in the islands so you don't have to sail it across an ocean. If you don't have a wad of cash, it's going to be a stripped down and cheap boat anyway, so have fun with it.

Fancy boats and spartan boats have about the same success and failure record from what I've observed. Typically it's the skipper and crew that screw the boat up, not the other way around.
Old 25-11-2007, 17:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
I met a guy recently in Malaysia. A teacher. Sails every summer. He has been on a circumnavigation for 12 years. He stores the boat at a friendly Marina and joins it. This weekend I stopped back in and his boat is all wrapped up and stored away. Probably see him next summer...

The issue with 7 on and 7 off is getting the boat prepped and stored. This fellow mentioned that it is at least a week at each end which in your case cuts you down to 5 week trips. For him he still ends up with 10 weeks or so.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 17:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

7/52 = 7 and change, so that's seven 5 week trips per year. I could handle that no problemo. :-)
Old 25-11-2007, 18:09   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Repairs in exotic locations...

I would have thought it might all hang together until something breaks and you find the local repairman in league with the devil.

Have you considered chartering?

Your costs as a full time owner under the circumstances that you describe would be about the same as chartering.
Old 26-11-2007, 00:12   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's an interesting idea, Andy, and if you persevere I imagine you can get it to work for you.

One thought occurred to me: Unless the work you do ceases entirely when you're not there (doubtful ), then I assume someone else - perhaps many other people - have the same benefits package as you do. Have you considered co-owning a vessel with another sailor in similar circumstances who could cruise while you're working, then work while you're cruising.

This would keep the vessel under constant care and usage, minimize unattended storage, and provide someone with whom you could share costs.

Just a thought.

TaoJones
Old 26-11-2007, 01:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
what do you do
sean

I am in the (australian)merchant navy (if they even still call it that) just steaming up and down the Queensland coast mainly with some trips to melbourne (victoria) and davenport (tasmainia) We work an even time roster mainly 7and 7 but i can work up holidays by going back to work early so as to build up holidays but they frown upon us if we get more then 3 months leave owing to us.

I have thought about selling my boat here and buying one closeish to the bahamas and sailing that area as boats are much cheaper over there then here but it would take away all the fun of getting there in the first place.

have thought about chartering as well.
Keep the ideas coming it is giving me lots to think of.
Old 27-11-2007, 18:21   #11

Boat: NONE yet
Man I wish I had 1 week off for every 1 I worked. I would have about 780 weeks worth of vacation to be taking. I could go for that!!
Old 27-11-2007, 20:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd say go for it! If you want it to work you'll find a way.
Old 27-11-2007, 20:20   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
I have thought about selling my boat here and buying one closeish to the bahamas and sailing that area as boats are much cheaper over there then here but it would take away all the fun of getting there in the first place.
But what about when/if you get tired of the Carribean. Won't it be just as fun to bring the boat back home to Oz?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 21:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
But what about when/if you get tired of the Carribean. Won't it be just as fun to bring the boat back home to Oz?

Yep i agree and I reckon there could be a nice profit to be made if I ever wanted to sell the boat i bought over there. Boats just seem to be so much dearer over here.
Old 27-11-2007, 21:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
Man I wish I had 1 week off for every 1 I worked. I would have about 780 weeks worth of vacation to be taking. I could go for that!!
Yep it is tough and we have to work a whole 8 hours a day to get it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: