Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 14:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Is there any money on private yachts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I had xmas eve dinner with the megayacht crew of a very very wealthy entrepreneur that will go unnamed (cause I like him). They said that xmas eve and xmas day was the only time off they got every year. They worked 7 days a week the rest of the year.

If you take that additional time into consideration, the pay isn't really that good.
Well maybe depends on the megayacht. My cousin and her husband did very well as capt and mate on a Feadship. Yes they were on duty 24/7/365 but there were times when they had no owners, guests or charters for a week or so here and there and were on easy watch.

Of course it took years of working for peanuts to work up to that level.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 14:43   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Is there any money on private yachts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
. They said that xmas eve and xmas day was the only time off they got every year. They worked 7 days a week the rest of the year.

If you take that additional time into consideration, the pay isn't really that good.
I was in an Harbour in Turkey parked next to a super!mega!yachattttt! And accidentally woke up at 5 am and stuck up head up and saw the dude washing the windows! He was an Aussie so I asked what the F! He was doing. He said he starts anchor watch at 4am, even in port, and that when he starts to wash the windows.... And he works all day till dark.....

Yes for this job you need to pay out $1000 (in the Caribbean) for an STCW95 so you can because a cleaner.

And it better be CLEAN!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 19:28   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanica123
So I asked about becoming a deckhand on another thread. A more specific question that I have at this point is, can you make any money on a private yacht? I don't want to make a killing... just something to get by with. I have an income source on the mainland if I ever need some real money.

I really don't want to work for a huge vessel either. Some people recommended that I work on a cruise ship but that definitely doesn't sound way appealing. Could I find a job after getting experience working with a private yacht? Where would I want to live to get the experience and possible job? Some of my goal; see as much of the world as possible, learn to SCUBA dive, walk on every continent, and learn a couple of languages.

I know that it would take a lot of hard work but I'm willing to put it in. Let me know if you have questions about my question or advice. Thanks
I have a friend who is a super yacht crew agent. Yes the pay is good, especially motor yachts over 40m. Yes it's a 24/7/365 job when the owner is on board. But it's much easier when the boat is just repositioning or sitting in a marina. ( you may not be part of a permanent crew though)

It you want to be a deckhand you need RYA Yachtmaster and STCW95. Yes it can be a zero error career, though not usually at levels under captain. PADI qualifications are useful , as are dinghy sailing instructor qualifications ( as well as licensed helicopter pilot btw)

Qualified engineers, good chiefs and hospitality trained Stewart's will earn very very good incomes.

It's a job for a young single person,

Yes huge amounts of it are just cleaning things , but hey it's the south of France , the women are beautiful, the money's good , you won't more ,..

There is now a good career path up from deckhand into mate and ultimately captain, the industry is very short of crew at the moment so its s good time.

You need to look presentable ( or just stunning) in shorts and a tee shirt. If you speak a couple of languages that helps to. Godd education, manners etc. skid row don't apply .

Typical a certified deckhand pay is around 50-70k all found often tax free on the bigger mobos, sailing boats pay a good bit less.

You need to be comfortable as a servant ( or just think of the money/girls)

Dave

Tags
money