Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-01-2013, 17:03   #76

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: is the MOB pole obsolete?

Don't make the mistake of considering a Danbouy as soley for YOUR crews list usage, it's indispensible for marking anyone or anything in a running sea and especially at night.

Those that have pets on board should also consider.

Old 25-01-2013, 02:17   #77
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

As a skipper put to task having to recover a MOB in 3m swell, it's challenging to keep sight of the crew once you are a few boat lengths from them, this happens very quickly as you drop sails, start the motor and prepare to recover them so it's an essential on my boat and for anyone going off shore is my 2 cents.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 02:36   #78
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Those of you who are interested to equip with a MOB pole might be interested in a couple of modifications:
1) sew strips of retro-reflective tape on the diagonal of the flag--shows up very well when you shine a torch (flashlight) on it
2) fabricate a small radar reflector for the tip of it...sometimes radar's eyes can help yours (saw this done on Pendragon, in about 1987)

The rest of you are also "right" in that if the weaker one can get the vessel to the victim, then both have a chance of there being a rescue...and offshore, you absolutely cannot count on someone else coming to the rescue. Not that it doesn't happen, but it's rare.

Ann
s/v Insatiable II, lying Belle Rive
Hi Ann, good idea for the retro-reflective tape on the flag; I have seen it stuck to the vertical pole as well. Not sure how well it worked, never had the opportunity to shine a light on it at night but it looked good in theory.

I am intrigued with the radar reflectior, I am guessing it must have been small, i.e. lightweight and low windage. The only MOB poles I have ever fitted were very susceptible to any extra weight and windage at the pole top. Just about any usable weight would have them unbalanced or blown over. Maybe there are poles and poles and some that are poles apart .

Perhaps they had a custom arrangement that accounted for the addition of the reflector. Still, it seems counter-intuitive to me, small reflector, poor radar return - large reflector, pole blown over and poor radar return.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 08:56   #79
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hi Ann, good idea for the retro-reflective tape on the flag; I have seen it stuck to the vertical pole as well. Not sure how well it worked, never had the opportunity to shine a light on it at night but it looked good in theory.

I am intrigued with the radar reflectior, I am guessing it must have been small, i.e. lightweight and low windage. The only MOB poles I have ever fitted were very susceptible to any extra weight and windage at the pole top. Just about any usable weight would have them unbalanced or blown over. Maybe there are poles and poles and some that are poles apart .

Perhaps they had a custom arrangement that accounted for the addition of the reflector. Still, it seems counter-intuitive to me, small reflector, poor radar return - large reflector, pole blown over and poor radar return.

Fill a hollow pole with crumpled aluminum foil maybe?
Old 25-01-2013, 08:59   #80

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

One would have to test this empirically, but I suspect if you took an ABS or fibreglass tube and jammed some aluminum foil in the top (with perhaps cork or foam to keep it in place), it would reflect more clearly.

I also think, however, that reflective tape and active beacons (like AIS, PLB and/or Life Tag types of transmitters) are the best option if you drift so far out of range that the pole can't be seen.

Frequently, the COB can see the boat (because of its 15 to 20 metre masts), but the boat can't see the COB. For this reason, I keep a waterproof VHF clipped on to my PFD in the hope that if I go over and remain conscious in dark or rough conditions, there remains a possibility that I can safely guide my own boat to me until they can see me visually.

The pole gives me something to hang on to while I'm directing traffic!
Old 26-01-2013, 16:09   #81

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Is the MOB Pole Obsolete?

WOTNAME:

Jim Cate, my husband, said that he thought the reflector would add too much windage, unless you added to the weight at the bottom enough to compensate. We never saw it deployed, and it's so long ago, anyway, no way to contact the folks involved. I did apply the retroreflective tape to the diagonals each side of the cloth, and did look at it at night with the flashlight, and it makes a large difference.

However, the more I think about this, where there are only two people aboard and they are offshore passage making, only about one third of the time does one overlap with one's partner above decks. For shorthanded cruising, one person has to be off watch long enough each day to maintain adequate rest. So it is actually sort of unlikely that you'd be up there to deploy anything at all if the other went overboard. Something to think about. Daysailing, and coastal cruising, of course, there's much more overlap.
FWIW.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, back in Sandy Bay
Old 27-01-2013, 08:55   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

In a really rough sea state is when one would need it the most, I doubt the other would be sleeping in such a condition.

I single hand most of the time but I still have a pole ready. You never know what one may come across out there. I even keep a fish retrieval net handy when the water's calm. It's just a piece of safety gear I prefer to have whether I need it or not!

Besides it helps to keep the CG of your back, thinking "if the guy has one of those, then..........................

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:27   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I single hand most of the time but I still have a pole ready.
What about star-gazing gear during the day?
Old 27-01-2013, 15:48   #84

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
What about star-gazing gear during the day?
I carry a sextant, W&P Star-Finder 2102-D as well as 10x50 binoculars so I guess, yeah, I carry star-gazing equipment during the day. I also have a piece of #5 welder's glass just in case I run into an eclipse
Old 27-01-2013, 21:14   #85
cruiser

Sun tan oil at night?
Old 27-01-2013, 21:50   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Posturing is practically futile.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 04:37   #87
cruiser

So is logic.
Old 28-01-2013, 20:23   #88

DELMARREY, you wrote: "In a really rough sea state is when one would need it the most, I doubt the other would be sleeping in such a condition."

Actually, if you're tired enough, it's amazing what you can sleep through. IIRC, we had 17 days of gale force or higher on passage from Kauai to San Francisco, out of a 21 day passage. Those strong winds were on the beam, and the WWV reported 21 ft. seas in our area. The vessel was a 36 foot sloop. And we stood our watches and slept the best we could. I don't think I could have got above decks in time to toss a MOB pole to Jim, and he would have been out of sight in the waves.

I have noticed, though, that people vary a lot in their ability to tolerate bad motion at sea. I was so seasick through that all that afterwards I felt proud that I stood my watches, even though I was to the shaking stage. It may be that I slept because I was exhausted. Years later, I discovered Stugeron, but that's another story.

Ann Cate, us s/v Insatiable II, lying Hobart, TAS
Old 29-01-2013, 02:12   #89

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Ann, I agree with you on that one. A lee cloth can become an essential.
Old 30-01-2013, 19:26   #90

ALCHEMY,
I couldn't agree more: " A lee cloth can become an essential. " I use one when it's rough 'cause my body somehow knows it cannot fall out of where I am.

Ann

Tags
mob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: