Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 12:35   #151
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Is the Cruising Lifestyle Dying ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
so I'm sitting in the hospital right after dodging the BIG ONE

so I a new view as of today!
SO.... didja see mabel???(sanford and son) ... are you gonna be ok?? are you repaired with a stent or some thing along that line??? get well fast..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:00   #152
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Doctor told him how much it would cost and Don said "I feel much better, I think I'll go now..."

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:04   #153

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Don, I hope you are pulling all of our legs, but if not get well soon! (Might be a good idea to stay out of the anchoring threads for awhile--it isn't good for the blood pressure. )
Old 10-01-2013, 13:11   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We were shoked when we got to Oz and found the ultimate nanny state. They have rules about abfsolutely everything and everyone agrees that they are over-regulated but all that happens is more rules get passed. All so unlike the average Aussie who is so easy-going.
The biggest pain with Oz is that each state has it's own rules. But the ultimate nanny state? No, I think that would be New Zealand.

Boats leaving OZ just need to clear out with customs. To leave NZ, NZ registered boats (and they did try to enforce this on foregn registered boats too) must be surveyed to Cat 1 standard.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:29   #155

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
IME there were lots of rules in Thailand - they are just not always the same as those which are written down .
It's like the tree failing in the forest ... if the rule/regulation is NEVER enforced is it still a rule/regulation? Thailand has lots but they are never enforced. Where I live people drive with impunity. For example, I've never seen a highway policeman pull anybody over so people drive anyway they chose.

Of course it great if you're in a hurry.
Old 10-01-2013, 14:35   #156

Boat: too many

I've driven in Thailand, and the only rule that is honored is "might makes right". The larger your vehicle, the less you have to give way. It is an efficient way, takes more energy to slow and then resume speed in a large and heavy vehicle.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:49   #157

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I've driven in Thailand, and the only rule that is honored is "might makes right". The larger your vehicle, the less you have to give way. It is an efficient way, takes more energy to slow and then resume speed in a large and heavy vehicle.
Probably no different in many areas of Asia/South America. dDiving in Colombia was unreal.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 15:03   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Don, hope you are OK. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 17:12   #159

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Back to the thread... Is the Cruising Lifestyle Dying? Yes and No! As long as people can charter boats, cruising will never die. As people realize how much it costs to own a boat and maintain it, fewer people will want to go that road. For those die-hard who must visit a particular atoll to sample its coconuts or dive its walls, you have no choice but to go by boat. Luckily, there are plenty of live-aboard vessels to accommodate your wishes! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 18:08   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just to be "that guy" - This thread was started by Dudeman in Nov of 2010. Dudeman's last post ever on CF was in Nov 2010. I don't think he is receiving new inputs - LOL.

The thread died in Mar 2011 and Flink resurrected it in Jan 2013 - almost 2 years later.

However - it is always good to resurrect interesting topics. Is cruising dying?

Heck no. Based on CF membership, numbers of boats and the fact that pretty wealthy boomers are going to conitnue to retire in record nummbers for years to come makes all kinds of leisure industries a good investment.

Will they cruise like 1970? Heck no. Boomers are spoiled by their luxuries. They will take their toys and their comforts with them. The boats will be bigger and they will be more convenient.

Is that a bad thing? Depends how old you are.

As far as young cruisers? I think there will always be a percentage that go cheap and go now. There will be a percentage that strike it rich early or work it rich early and they will also go. The rest will go for a while in retirement or never go and if lucky end up coastal sailing as long as they can.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 00:21   #161

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Don,

What has happened? As someone noted, stay out of the anchor threads - helps keep the blood pressure down. Guns and Hunters too.

Get well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15   #162

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SO.... didja see mabel???(sanford and son) ... are you gonna be ok?? are you repaired with a stent or some thing along that line??? get well fast..
I thought her name was "Liz'beth"? As in, <Redd Foxx clutching at chest, wobbling on one foot and rolling eyes heavenward> "I'm comin' ta join ya, Liz'beth!"
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:29   #163

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I can't speak for regulations in VA, USA Jim, but I can vouch for those in place in Tasmania, Australia. Herabouts, we can be fined if we do not have as a minimum, the following (assuming boat over 6m / 19')
Anchor, chain rode
Bilge pump & bailer
Approved lifer jacket
Fire extringuisher
Flares
Marine Radio
Lifebuoy
EPIRB
Radar reflector
First aid kit
Water
(source Marine & Safety Tasmania).

You also need to carry a motor boat license, which requires written and practical testing, and for which you must pay every few years. As has been mentioned, you must wear your lifejacket in your dinghy. Your boat must be registered and display its registration in prescribed location(s). If your dink has an outboard of more than, I think, 4hp, it must also be registered. There are, no doubt more, but the above spring immediately to mind

Now I'm not saying, necessarily, that any of those are necessarily silly, some are certainly what I would have thought ought to be discretionary, but they are a legal requirement and non compliance carries a penalty. I don't see why I should be forced to carry and EPIRB, if I don't want to.

Significant further legislation relating to OH&S is currently under discussion at government / bureaucratic level... ridiculously draconian OH&S legislation has just been implemented for the building trades (a builder may no longer wear short pants, for example)... I was recently informed, by a board member of the most influential yacht club in the state, that additional OH&S legislation was on the way.

And I wasn't saying that you couldn't go sailing without AIS, RADAR, etc. merely that the dominant paradigm seems to be shifting towards a belief that you shouldn't... and once it become a belief, becoming a law ain't so far behind.
Then I apologize. I didn't realize things were getting worse for you guys down under. We are usually the "poster children" for regulations here in the states so I am surprised that other countries have started taking our "claim to fame".

I think I am going to have to go campaign for more anchoring restrictions.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24   #164

Boat: endeavour 42
I agree that it has gotten too expensive, and that most people prefer safety. In this economy most people are just hunkering down. I think that if someone has a job they would rather stay ashore and dream until one day when they won't work anymore. Then that day comes and they realize all the time they wasted.
yoda slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32   #165

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda slayer View Post
I agree that it has gotten too expensive, and that most people prefer safety. In this economy most people are just hunkering down. I think that if someone has a job they would rather stay ashore and dream until one day when they won't work anymore. Then that day comes and they realize all the time they wasted.
Oh, such cutting words, but oh so true.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote