Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-04-2016, 21:38   #46

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: Is Teak Decks a deal breaker for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How in the world did they do that? and how thick was that outer layer of glass? The ones I've had were maybe 1/4" glass. How do you drill/screw only less than 1/4", get a screw to grip etc without going thru? With point on a typical screw, that would be holding with at best one thread...On my Hans Christian every hole was into the core when I removed the teak decks.
My experience is, as glass has no compress-ability when turning a taper wood screw into the glass, if i didn't drill a hole the size of the screw between the threads, the screw would break off. That is why i elected to go with the vacu-bag method to install my teak deck.

Old 28-04-2016, 22:27   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Beautiful - can't beat a properly cared for teak deck. I think the problem is that people don't look after their teak - expecting it to look after itself. I have seen some very nasty looking teak decks, but also some beautiful ones like yours.

For us, our teak now into it's fifth year, looks as good as the day we took delivery, and using Semco and a Winter cover, takes us less than three hours a year to maintain on a 50 footer.
I look at the same model yacht without the teak, and appreciate what a difference the teak makes to the look and feel.

Yours looks simply superb, and I suggest if you are not already using it, that you go with Semco to keep it that way. Once you have it done, one or two coats a year should be enough (and no, I don't sell it - unfortunately !)

Here's ours - not a patch on your top quality lay (I'm very envious), but at least it is still looking new.
Nice! Following the refinishing, I let ours turn grey. They now just get some buckets of clean seawater splashed on them a couple of times a week, and no scrubbing.

Old 28-04-2016, 22:34   #48

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong SC View Post
Hi, I got a new boat with 'synthetic teak'. Do advice what is the difference with 'real teak'? And what is the best way to care and clean (what cleaning agents to use) with what I have for the foreseeable futurr? Any views or advice will be much aporeciated!
Ideally real teak likes regular doses of sea water. Any form of cleaning or scrubbing will reduce the useful life.

Oxalic acid is used to make teak look new and orange. Unfortunately this will remove weathered teak exposing new un weathered teak.

The pvc based synthetic teaks can be cleaned with pressure wash, detergent, broom, brush etc. Unless you sand it you wont remove any material. They are not affected by oils, fuels or diesel.

Apart from solvents which soften pvc the synthetic products are far more durable and color consistent than teak.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-04-2016, 23:28   #49

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Nice! Following the refinishing, I let ours turn grey. They now just get some buckets of clean seawater splashed on them a couple of times a week, and no scrubbing.
Hmm. Leaving it bare is just that. It will weather, and slowly the wood fibres will wear away - especially if you are intent on keeping it from going black as so many do (mould and fungus spores - salt water does help there).
The alternative is as ours, to seal. Then the timber is protected and cannot wear unless the sealing is worn off (which we don't let happen).
Old 29-04-2016, 01:23   #50

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
At least up through the 70s, Cheoy Lee layup was the entire hull and coach roof in one piece. No half hulls, not hull and then deck tie down. Solid glass, then teak added on top for the decks. So yes, some boats were solid glass. Incredibly tough. Expensive. Not done that way nowadays.
Nauticat still follows that good old practice. Both hull and deck are hand laid GRP with no core. Available today if you want such a boat.

Their hull and deck are made separately though and then joined together. I don't know how one could build them up together, at one go, as one piece. What did Cheoy Lee actually do? Did they have a multi-piece mould that could be taken out piece by piece or what?

Nauticat Concept
Old 29-04-2016, 04:12   #51

Boat: Westsail 32

This has been a good thread, folks on both sides of this, thanks for the input, opinions
Old 29-04-2016, 04:49   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Yes, teak decks can be a real pain. I let mine get out of hand as with the rest of the boat and have put a lot of hours repairing it. They are screwed down. But in the end, I LOVE my teak decks. They can be a chore to keep really good, but NOTHING beats teak. (Personal opinion for sure) What most people seem to ignore is that one should NOT sand teak, nor use harsh chemicals to clean it. The previous owner did both and neglecting ours, I had to do the sanding bit. Oh, and did I mention, I have unscrewed, and re-screwed hundreds of bungs.

Deal breaker, no way. Deal maker. All those cookie cutter boats with there all too boring clean white wet slippery decks just don't do it for me. Did I say I like teak?

As far as mold and fungae are concerned, coat with any number of anti fungals such as Boracol
Old 29-04-2016, 04:56   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

It's a HUGE job if you do it yourself, as I did. If you don't want them, and intend to remove them, I would call it a deal breaker.
Old 29-04-2016, 05:21   #54
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Teak is lovely. But that's small consolation for having so many extra holes in your deck, or for having to sand and refinish your deck every couple years.
Id rather be sailing.
Old 29-04-2016, 05:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
Teak is lovely. But that's small consolation for having so many extra holes in your deck, or for having to sand and refinish your deck every couple years.
Id rather be sailing.
Never sand nor "refinish" teak decks. A big No-No.
Old 29-04-2016, 05:56   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Yes they are. We recently (February) got a new boat and passed on others that we looked at, liked, but had teak decks. The glued down ones that we saw did not look as robust as the screwed down ones so we passed on those as well.
You are one of the very few who can tell glued vs. fastened down teak decks. If the bungs are done right, there are no "holes" to distinguish the two. Even our shipwrights can not tell without testing for metal. So you must have some extraordinary skills to be able to tell the difference. Not sure what you mean by "robust".
Old 29-04-2016, 06:18   #57
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Never sand nor "refinish" teak decks. A big No-No.
Thanks. I was talking out my @$$ and did t know that. Shows that my opinion should be ignored. My bad.
Old 29-04-2016, 06:56   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Depends on the boat. Our Formosa looked amazing with the teak but our Tylercraft would not. The molded solid glass decks with paint on the nonskid look right in this case.

As to nonskid - IMHO teak rules the roost on this point.

As to work and maintenance - it depends on what you want in life. I'm not a checkbook sailor, I like doing a lot of the work with my own two hands. Things like brightwork and teak decks show a pride and love of ownership.
Old 29-04-2016, 08:18   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

Quote:
And we have lived in the tropics for decades with teak decks and never had a problem. Have watched clueless newbies rip up teak decks on Cheoy Lees and Hans Christians only to find sold deck underneath and what they thought were soft spots were just lifting of the teak from the solid decking below. Moisture meters are worthless for decks. We had a Grand Banks core drilled due to moisture "problems" only to find the deck was dry as can be.
I am not trying to change your mind! And I am happy that your teak, and that of others, works for you. But I have been in the industry for years, both in temperate and tropical climes (and am a pretty good varnisher, by the way), own my boats for an average of over 20 years, and mostly sail (and I mean sail, not motor) a 45 foot cat with good nonskid on it's copious deck spaces. I am weight sensitive, try to keep things cool (no beautiful blue hulls, either), have plenty to do with my time and am very familiar with teak and teak decks and their care. And, in answer to the OP's question, a teak deck is a deal breaker from which I would run, not walk.
Old 29-04-2016, 08:36   #60

Thanks! I always wondered about caring for 'real' stuff and 'synthetic' stuff. Your advice will help me heaps!

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: