Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 1.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 19:14   #1

Is sailing more natural/true than cruising?

Does motor propulsion & use of toxic fuel for the motors make cruising anti-water and anti-nature?

Does wind propulsion make it a marriage between sailing and nature?

Thanks, Dan Howitt
DanHowitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 19:16   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Is sailing more natural/true than cruising?

Troll
Old 05-11-2019, 19:49   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Carbon dioxide is a pollutant that can be toxic in sufficient concentrations. Does respiration make human breathing anti-air and anti-nature?

Seriously…

Now, if you want to have a serious discussion about the ecological impact, or lack thereof, of cruising, then I’m all for it. But your opening post is a poor start to this subject.
Old 05-11-2019, 20:06   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Same purpose as "is sailing dying?" thread
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:35   #5
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHowitt View Post
Does motor propulsion & use of toxic fuel for the motors make cruising anti-water and anti-nature?

Thanks, Dan Howitt
Either a troll or not the sharpest tack in the box.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:54   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The main difference in ecological impact bewtween people is related to lifstyle and size of residence. Downsizing the size of your house whether by moving to a smaller house or onto a boat significantly reduces you footprint. Also living a technologically simpler and more locally based life has a big impact. So if moving onto a boat means a 75% reduction in accomodation style, not commuting to work by car and buying mainly locally produced food your lifestyle will have very significantly less ecological impact. If it is a wooden boat with no AC running primarily on solar and sail power that will make furthe significant impact compared to a power boat with lots of power hungy services dependent on a generator however I don't think tat is as significant as downsizing. Not sure there is nessacerily that much difference between a boat and a tiny home or an RV
As an example my boat uses an average of 1200 watts per day. I have a trailer that uses about 2600 for fractionaĺy more space. A typical north american single faily home is more like 25 - 50,000 watts per day. At the other extream a typical faimily home in a rural third worls country probably uses half that or most cruising boats.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55   #7

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

To try and answer your question , the marine industry like most industries are implementing emission criteria for marine engines and therefore reducing harmful emissions and getting better fuel economy , it must be noted that diesel is better for the environment( not in it is safe only better) than petrol but diesel is worse for human health due to the particulates , so one could speculate that it would be rare indeed to have toxic fumes and large crowds in the middle of the sea.
Most sailboats and their owners want to sail and use the engine very rarely compared to the average family car , so the emissions are very low , as for motorboats who burn diesel in large quantities again for the environment no worse than an HGV ploughing down the road but in the HGVS case its polluting your children's lungs.
So one could argue that sailing and boating is the least polluting of much of the transport we have today , outwith electrical engines and cycling. oh and paddle boarding
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:06   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Another example. I am currently building an education complex that will use approx 30kw per day including heating (in western canada). It is off grid and will be entirly solar powered. This is for 4 offices, a computer lab and youth recreation space. The footprint is 175sq/m so that is about 170w/sq/m. A typical N American comercial space uses 2 to 6 times that so designe does have a big impact.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:12   #9

Boat: Hunter 35.5

No.

and

Kind of but not really.

Questions have been answered. Thread can be closed.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:31   #10

Does driving to work & use of toxic fuel for the motor make working anti-nature?

Does walking to work make it a marriage with nature?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:35   #11

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

I didn't even realize nature wanted to be married, always thought nature was 'playing the field'
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:45   #12

Boat: Hunter 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I didn't even realize nature wanted to be married, always thought nature was 'playing the field'
Your thinking of father time... mother nature has always been faithful.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Troll
Sounds like someone with an agenda?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
The main difference in ecological impact bewtween people is related to lifstyle and size of residence. Downsizing the size of your house whether by moving to a smaller house or onto a boat significantly reduces you footprint. Also living a technologically simpler and more locally based life has a big impact. So if moving onto a boat means a 75% reduction in accomodation style, not commuting to work by car and buying mainly locally produced food your lifestyle will have very significantly less ecological impact. If it is a wooden boat with no AC running primarily on solar and sail power that will make furthe significant impact compared to a power boat with lots of power hungy services dependent on a generator however I don't think tat is as significant as downsizing. Not sure there is nessacerily that much difference between a boat and a tiny home or an RV
As an example my boat uses an average of 1200 watts per day. I have a trailer that uses about 2600 for fractionaĺy more space. A typical north american single faily home is more like 25 - 50,000 watts per day. At the other extream a typical faimily home in a rural third worls country probably uses half that or most cruising boats.
Can’t put it any better

I’ve said the same many times in these discussions. Living on a modest cruising sailboat lends itself to being a more environmentally modest life. It’s not necessarily the case, but the smaller size promotes a smaller environmental footprint. It’s just easier to live with less.

A sailboat is not the only way to do this, however. And in many cases it may not even be the best way. But it is one way.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:41   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHowitt View Post

Thanks, Dan Howitt
Thats like asking
If I wear a condom....is it really sex?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail, sailing