Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 21:35   #76

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: Is it a Boat or a Yacht?

Get out in the isolated Pacific islands, where the locals will paddle over to your boat in their dugout canoes, rap their knuckles on your hull and then exclaim "Plasteeek".

If those guys who invented the best boats in the world (> 1 hull) say it is PLASTEEK, I believe them!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 23:02   #77
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Why the aversion to the correct term, fiberglass?

The box I keep the wench handle in, is plastic. The bottle my laundry soap comes in is plastic. My credit cards and drivers licence are plastic.

Funny thing about becoming an adult, one gains the ability to discern between similar objects.

Plastic items are seldom built up but are usually injecton molded from small plastic beads that are melted and the liquid is forced into molds under high pressure. When the plastic cools, the mold is opened and the process starts over again.

Fiberglass and a close cousin, carbon fiber, are manufactured into desired shapes by building up of material, layer upon layer.

To Confuse plastic with fiberglass is like confusing wood with press wood.

Is your boat made out of press wood? How is that treating you so far?

The correct term would not be fiberglass, but Fiber Reinforced Plastic. Polyester resin is a plastic. Just because it has been reinforced with glass fibers doesn't mean it's not a plastic, it is. And there's nothing wrong with that. Your attitude is what dsmastern was alluding too.

And for gods sake, it's a winch, not a wench. Can't count the times I've seen a novice who doesn't actually read make that mistake...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 23:51   #78

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The correct term would not be fiberglass, but Fiber Reinforced Plastic. Polyester resin is a plastic. Just because it has been reinforced with glass fibers doesn't mean it's not a plastic, it is. And there's nothing wrong with that. Your attitude is what dsmastern was alluding too.

And for gods sake, it's a winch, not a wench. Can't count the times I've seen a novice who doesn't actually read make that mistake...
Minaret, dont be so harsh, they may in fact have a plastic wench requiring a handle !!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01   #79

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
My iPhone has a pretty aggressive automatic spell check and I do not tend to argue with the choices it makes as much as I should. Sucks to have to spell check the spell check. I did not type "wench" or "press wood".

Must be some cheap presswood in my iPhone. Lol

Forgive me if I am wrong, but does this thread have any reference to plastic in the original post?

Why are you so hung up on calling a fiberglass sailboat plastic? True plastic is easy to recycle. Take a chunk of fiberglass boat material to a recycling center and offer it to them as plastic and see if they are interested. I have two dollars that says they would not be interested.

I am one that can appreciate a sailboat with little or no wood products on it. Several MacGregor's are built that way. My 35 year old sailboat has lots of wood and that is where it shows it's age and requires Maintance. The fiberglass still looks new.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:08   #80

Hey! Maybe boats are plastic (or presswood) and yachts are fiberglass! Lol
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04   #81

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
On a lighter note... A buddy of mine says that if your boat has a boat.. It's not a boat.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26   #82
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
My iPhone has a pretty aggressive automatic spell check and I do not tend to argue with the choices it makes as much as I should. Sucks to have to spell check the spell check. I did not type "wench" or "press wood".

Must be some cheap presswood in my iPhone. Lol

Forgive me if I am wrong, but does this thread have any reference to plastic in the original post?

Why are you so hung up on calling a fiberglass sailboat plastic? True plastic is easy to recycle. Take a chunk of fiberglass boat material to a recycling center and offer it to them as plastic and see if they are interested. I have two dollars that says they would not be interested.

I am one that can appreciate a sailboat with little or no wood products on it. Several MacGregor's are built that way. My 35 year old sailboat has lots of wood and that is where it shows it's age and requires Maintance. The fiberglass still looks new.

You would lose your two dollars. A recently invented method for extracting all the plastic resin from a laminate has made it possible to recycle plastic boats. It will soon be big business.

American Fiber Green Products, Inc. Secures Boat Recycling Site - MarketWatch

I'm hung up on calling a fiberglass boat plastic, because that's what it is. And that is not a bad thing.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30   #83
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was always taught the old definition a la Eric Hiscock, which has any boat over 16 feet in length which is equipped with interior accomodations defined as a yacht. The coast guard defines anything over 26 ft. with interior accomodations and for pleasure use as a yacht.

Twenty years ago a 75-foot vessel was considered large and a 100-foot vessel was rare. Today 100-footers are common and some private vessels are mammoths-- Microsoft founder Paul Allen’s Octopus is 410 feet and Platinum, a new (2005) vessel owned by an Arab sheikh is the world’s largest yacht at 520 feet.

There has never been agreement on what constitutes a “yacht.” The California Department of Motor Vehicles, responsible for registering boats, defines a yacht as a vessel of 16 feet or more in length designed to be propelled by sail or power. The U.S. Coast Guard, a more authoritative source, defines a yacht as a vessel over 26 feet in length. Today, many would think these definitions ludicrous, especially in light of the recent increases in vessel size.

Perhaps the most useful definition has nothing to do with size. Rather, it focuses on function:

A yacht is a sail or power-driven vessel, usually private though state vessels might be included, that is used
for pleasure and is designed for overnight or long-distance use. As such, it typically has sleeping space (berths or
staterooms), cooking space (a galley), and "necessary" space (heads).

This definition allows a vessel of almost any size to be called a yacht. But because we yearn for a more finely graded definition, we have a proliferation of yachtness terms: one hears of “pocket yachts,” “yachts,” “super yachts,” “mega yachts,” and even “mega-mega yachts.”

Research suggests that the primary division is between yachts and super yachts: A super yacht is generally defined as a yacht with overall length exceeding 24 meters (79 feet). The terms mega yacht and super yacht are synonymous--once the vessel reaches 80 feet there are no further formal gradations of yachtness. According to this taxonomy, Myeerah, at 90 feet, is a small super yacht. Octopus and Platinum are extremely large superyachts.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58   #84
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern
And why is it that Americans (USA) have a hard time calling their boat/yacht "Plastic" when that's what the P in GRP or FRP is?

They always have to call it Fiberglass or Composite instead of Plastic.

The rest of the world seems fine with the term Plastic, why not the US?

Not macho enough? Does it sound too much like a toy? Fake?

Just curious.

Could it be that the Brits like "plastic" because they invented the nasty stuff?

Fiberglass, conversely, has been around a lot longer. Invented by the ancient Phoenicians.

Could it be that Americans just enjoy being historically accurate?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33   #85
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

So.....if a couple of Americans (us) who live in a British Overseas Territory bought a UK built catamaran from another American, in Florida, and it's presently documented with the USCG......but located in another country....it started life as a yacht by definition, and is now only a boat owned by Americans. Uh wait a minute. Not Americans, as that term is also non-specific, but what do you call someone who was born in the United States of America? ( No, no...."yankee" is totally wrong. Forget that. Those are fighting words to a lot of us. My ancestors shot yankees.)

I guess we'll keep calling the boat our 'rag top Catalac'.
Old 08-09-2012, 15:10   #86

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I like to call Gaitweigh a little sailboat;

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:21   #87
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I most definately have a workboat. I run a business out of it. Its all function with no cosmetic frills. Maybe it comes down to finishes?I'm all white paint below with shop flooring, worktables, sewing tables everything as cheap and functional as possible. I'm out to impress nobody except my customers with the quality of my work.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:29   #88

The ones I can barely afford are boats, the ones I cannot afford are yachts.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:41   #89

We were on one of the Nat Geo boats and someone asked the boson what the distinction was between a boat and a ship. He went into a monologue about differences in length, etc. and followed with "then there is the difference between a boat and a yacht". His explanation was "well, if you need to ask..."
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37   #90

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

My yacht is my castle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht