Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 19:01   #31

Re: Is generator noise & fuel smell really a problem?

The answer is, a generator certainly can be (and probably more often than not is) noisy and smelly. But it need not be. A few boats ago, my genset had no sound shield and was loud enough to make conversation in the cockpit (it was located in the lazarette) difficult. And it was smelly.
On the other hand, my current genset (Onan 17kw eQd) is so quiet (in soundshields, in the laz) you have to listen carefully to hear it, and I have never smelled it or seen its exhaust.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:24   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Is generator noise & fuel smell really a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
With a gas/water separator there is no splashing water. That's the whole point of the things.

Exactly my point.
Unfortunately these simple fiberglass boxes are, more often than not, omitted in the generator install.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:35   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Monkey....Never understood the double standard that some cruisers impose on other sailors

If a commercial fishing boat was anchored in same bay... You would accept that they need their generator for processing, freezing and crew comfort.

But a large sail or powerboat is deemed to be inconsiderate.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 20:01   #34

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Is generator noise & fuel smell really a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Monkey....Never understood the double standard that some cruisers impose on other sailors

If a commercial fishing boat was anchored in same bay... You would accept that they need their generator for processing, freezing and crew comfort.

But a large sail or powerboat is deemed to be inconsiderate.

It's a matter of what the expectations of the place are. A deserted cove up a river far away from industry and noise, any effort to minimize the sound footprint that travel forever over tranquil water is appreciated.
I fully accept that in less secluded places there can be no expectation of quiet, nor can I expect anyone on a Trawler or other such type of vessel engaged in commercial activity to suffer in accommodation not intended to permit airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 20:19   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

You are right about how easily sound travels over a quiet still bay.
....especially at night.

I would often take my kayak out after dinner and you could hear every fart/belch/pump out/argument from the other boats especially if they had kids.

Returning back to my boat , music was my privacy barrier, but the imperceptible hum of my Gen...worked just as well...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 21:47   #36

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have a Northern Lights 5KW in a custom sounshield with a underwater muffler. I emit virtually no noise 5 feet past the boat. I have about 65 decibels inside and in the cockpit and it is a noticeable hum, but after a while no more distracting than driving down the highway in a car. When not at the dock, we run it 24/7. It burns about .25 gallons per hour.

On a cruise we took from Kentucky Lake to Florida and back in 2013-14, we put just over 740 hours on it and the cost at $4.00 diesel was about $740, or $1.00 per hour. We traveled 1614 NM. We were very comfortable in temps from 30's to high 80's.

We have no smell from our genset. We also have controlled humidity within the boat and we use lots of electricity to watch Sat TV, charge batteries, run 12 volt equipment and our computers, IPads, etc.

We are not purists, but appreciate those that are and would not want to interrupt your way of life in an anchorage or anywhere else and don't believe we do so. We sleep in 72 degree comfort every night. The cost of running the genset is minor compared to the other costs of our cruise and made it much more enjoyable for us.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 23:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Environment? Hmmmm, if we allow for environmental cost of making, transporting and disposing of a solar panel ... it may be way less green than most of us like to think.

b.
And the heat they generate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Amps is not power, it is current. For DC, voltage times current is power.
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
100 amps a day.
is ?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 02:51   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Neosplit.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 04:09   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Having the main engine alternator charge the house bank on a daily basis is something I do by default when cruising. If hopping from one harbor to the next, even if I am able to sail, I still use the main engine probably at least an hour. As a by-product, an extra 50-100 A-h are put into the bank (a 150A alternator, 24V system, but I've never seen it charge at over 100A).

If you motor a fair amount as a regular part of use of the boat, that is another viable charging source. If that is how you use the boat, by all means consider that in the plan.
You took my comment out of context. If you stay at marinas with shore power, you don't need solar either.

I was discussing a situation where you are at anchor for several days. In that situation, the modern solution is solar panels. 20-30yrs ago it was running the engine at high idle for a few hours each day. Sure you get incidental charging when motoring but that wasn't what the discussion was about.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 04:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosplit View Post
Just wondering whether is it conscious decision to be environmental friendly or you are really bothered with noise/smell/pollution etc of generator?
The environment does not care about your tiny diesel. Take that out of your factoring. Contrary to belief diesel emissions are not bad.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 04:39   #41

Thanks a lot for all the replies folks, quite a few interesting points were brought up, few that I didnt expect. Im getting more comfortable with my navigation skills so getting confidence be on water for longer periods, thus I brought up this topic.

For me, to sum up, what was said so far: for many of us noise from the generator is a problem but it can be controlled with proper insulation /muffler etc. Not many see problem with pollution from generators.

Thanks to the post, Im considering installing solar to supplement the generator though I have so far been against it as it will consume lot of real-estate. Need to still evaluate the cost, weight, size & install location etc for solar installation....
Neosplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 04:59   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosplit View Post
Thanks a lot for all the replies folks, quite a few interesting points were brought up, few that I didnt expect. Im getting more comfortable with my navigation skills so getting confidence be on water for longer periods, thus I brought up this topic.

For me, to sum up, what was said so far: for many of us noise from the generator is a problem but it can be controlled with proper insulation /muffler etc. Not many see problem with pollution from generators.

Thanks to the post, Im considering installing solar to supplement the generator though I have so far been against it as it will consume lot of real-estate. Need to still evaluate the cost, weight, size & install location etc for solar installation....
One thought to consider when considering solar. Can you start gen or main engine with a hand crank or pull start? If electric start only solar will definitely be a plus. My main reason for installing solar is at least twice in the last 5 years or so I've gone to start up and both battery banks were totally dead, which required me to get a boost. Once from a work boat, once from a tow truck. I didn't enjoy either experience.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 05:13   #43

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

[QUOTE=Neosplit;1894402]

/QUOTE]

And if it's smelly, it's generally from a fuel -- or sometimes lube oil -- leak, sometimes burning off as it dribbles down hot/warm parts.

Could also be from a sub-optimal muffler/exhaust installation, but that may be a less common issue.

-Chris
Old 19-08-2015, 08:55   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Unless you do a good job of muffling the noise emitted to the environment, you could be the pariah of every anchorage. Nothing pisses me off more than an unthinking lout that runs their poorly muffled generator in a quiet anchorage. If you have the realestate, solar panels can supply your needs with enough panels and battery storage. Won't be able to run A/C but an awning and windscoops make life livable on a boat except in the very hottest days.
totally agree with this.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 09:05   #45

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

The only reason we have (and love) our generator is to run the A/C units while on the hook. Coming in from the tropical sun .... ahhhhh. Sleeping in total comfort - priceless.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator, noise